FYI on some solar panel sales

G_fresh

Adventurer
So, did anyone ever install these Solar Cynergy panels on a vehicle or trailer? I'm really curious how strong the frames and glass are?

Thanks for any feedback!

I have one of the 80 watt panels on the roof of my Landcruiser. I drove it from California to Costa Rica and back, no problems. I built a steel frame and attached that to a pair of Yakima load bars. The setup took a few good hits (even torn off the roof 2x - failure in the Yakima mounts) and the panels survived just fine.

The rigid angle-iron frame I made might be the key.

G_fresh

Adventurer
I built a steel frame and attached that to a pair of Yakima load bars. The rigid angle-iron frame I made might be the key.

Yeah, I am thinking it is key to reinforce as well. I was contemplating 1/8" (or thicker) aluminum angle to attach the panels to my load bars on my Chaser.

Any other real-world experience with mounting these?

BTW, SolarBlvd has the 100W at $1.25/W:

http://www.solarblvd.com/p1394/Sola....html?osCsid=3f0d4b7eef8561014d11a6a81ea1bc73

Similar deals on the 80W-140W as well...

G_fresh

Adventurer
Yeah, I am thinking it is key to reinforce as well. I was contemplating 1/8" (or thicker) aluminum angle to attach the panels to my load bars on my Chaser.

Any other real-world experience with mounting these?

BTW, SolarBlvd has the 100W at $1.25/W:

http://www.solarblvd.com/p1394/Sola....html?osCsid=3f0d4b7eef8561014d11a6a81ea1bc73

Similar deals on the 80W-140W as well...

So far, my two 100W panels have lasted for a few years now. Even made it through the Outback and even the Canning!

G_fresh

Adventurer
Push to 24V panels and you can get well below $1 per watt :)

As in... just 65 cents per watt

https://www.solarblvd.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_270&products_id=3070

The problem with these cheap per Watt 24V panels is that they are huge. As in, even if they fit in my roof (or whatever), they seem like they will break on the first hard bump that I hit...

Maybe I'm just scared for no reason.

After pushing on the center of and seeing the deflection of my 100W panels vs. big ones, I wouldn't want to risk the financial loss of a cracked panel.

I guess reinforcing the back of the larger panels would help. But, that's yet another project...

I also like having two 100W panels vs. one 200W+ for redundancy...

If someone tries the big boys, they should report back!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I also have two 100 watt panels on my rig, but they are 24V

I can see flexing being a concern with the larger panels, but I do not see it an issue.

I wouldn't sweat it.

And even if you did, its easy enough to reinforce the rigid panel frames using additional aluminum.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
To me it seems that if we can save a little by going to 24v panels we will probably spend the savings on a decent MPPT charge controller to properly deal with charging 12v batteries. At Morningstar a 15 amp PWM is $90 and a MPPT is $225. I suppose a cheap Chinese "MPPT" controller can be purchased for $50 on fleabay. Most PWM controllers for charging 12v batteries can't handle much more than 21 volts on the inputs. If a PWM controller with a suitably high input voltage rating is found then the controller is operating less efficiently with 24v panels and 12v batteries. So if our total system cost is lower by going with 24 volt panels, smaller gauge wires and a good controller then all is well.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yes, a 24V array pretty much dictates the need for an MPPT.

Initial purchase cost is certainly something to consider, but in the end performance and efficiency in the field is all that matters.
And a high(er) voltage array with a decent MPPT will always trump a 12V array in a 12V system in those respects.

I was simply pointing out that 24V panels are considerably cheaper than 12V panels, at least lately.

They also have the added benefit of "requiring" an MPPT ;)

Mobile Solar

Flexopower offers flexible glass free panels and as camping kits. South African brand using thin film technology developed by U of Toledo. These panels are way more expensive than glass panels. Some of the main differences are light weight and not bulky, deliver more power, easy to fit in a packed vehicle, last longer. This video takes the durability to the extreme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Atgu3WnC4

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Performance and efficiency can be all that matter when supported by piles of money....

solar-money-pile-web.jpg

Ideally folks here need to start with clear and practical electrical and physical requirements, craft a design based on their budget and then implement the design using good quality components.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Cheaper than that,, less than 20$. For a 10amp thing anyway.

Many of these ChinaPWMs are dual voltage capable 12-24v.
The PWM in my electrified outhouse max. is 50v.
Its power-up sequence determines if its going to operate at 12 or 24v.

I expect my controller is not unique of these features.

Electrified outhouse? :elkgrin:

What kind of throne is in there??? LOL

G_fresh

Adventurer
Flexopower offers flexible glass free panels and as camping kits. South African brand using thin film technology developed by U of Toledo. These panels are way more expensive than glass panels. Some of the main differences are light weight and not bulky, deliver more power, easy to fit in a packed vehicle, last longer. This video takes the durability to the extreme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Atgu3WnC4

Know where to get these? I spent 5 minutes on the Google and couldn't find them for sale...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles