Downsides to a truck bed trailer?

java

Expedition Leader
I've had several truckbed trailers. When the tongue is too short they wobble badly. When the tongue is correct, or slightly long, they tow fine. The magic number for me has been tongue = 2.5 times the width. The only other thing, one axle had an LSD in it and didn't like to track around corners.

Wow that's a long tongue. My current trailer is only 4' thats what I was shooting for.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Sorry, the would be the dimension of the theoretical "T" shape made by the axle and tongue if the met. For example, if the axle width was 5', the tongue length measured from the axle centerline would be 10' to 12.5'.

I had a Mitsubishi body trailer, the hitch was only 8 feet from the axle. That was a very scary trailer and promptly traded off for something else. There was no way for me to put the load forward to weight the ball, wandered all over the road.

java

Expedition Leader
Sorry, the would be the dimension of the theoretical "T" shape made by the axle and tongue if the met. For example, if the axle width was 5', the tongue length measured from the axle centerline would be 10' to 12.5'.

I had a Mitsubishi body trailer, the hitch was only 8 feet from the axle. That was a very scary trailer and promptly traded off for something else. There was no way for me to put the load forward to weight the ball, wandered all over the road.

Ah that makes more sense. That is part of why I'm looking for a long bed. With the long bed the axle is centered in the bed unlike most short beds.

wikid

Adventurer
Why do you think that is? Too little weight for the springs?
Not sure
Seems like spring rate/shock combo seem to make them seems so unstable.
Next time you see one going down the road, pay attention to how it acts behind the tow vehicle.
It's almost like when I see a portable cement mixer behind a truck. There is something about it that makes it look unsafe. I get the same way when I see most pick up box trailers. Like I said I really think if the suspension were examined and changed up, it probably would help

java

Expedition Leader
Not sure
Seems like spring rate/shock combo seem to make them seems so unstable.
Next time you see one going down the road, pay attention to how it acts behind the tow vehicle.
It's almost like when I see a portable cement mixer behind a truck. There is something about it that makes it look unsafe. I get the same way when I see most pick up box trailers. Like I said I really think if the suspension were examined and changed up, it probably would help

ok thanks, i plan to eventually strip the pack down to the main leaf and use air bags for load support. hopefully that would help with any stability issues from the suspension.

i know what you mean about the cement trailers. i think that is a combo of really short trailer wiht really stiff springs

URY914

Observer
My daily driver is a single cab short bed Ford 150. There isn't much room in the bed. I've been thinking about getting a matching 8' bed to make a trailer for it. I could add a rack or build some hard sides or get a fiberglass topper off CL. Or as someone said earlier I could look for a utility bed with lockable boxes. The mind boggles with the directions I could go with it. Much easier than bulding a trailer from the ground up and quicker too. This thread has got me all fired up now.

java

Expedition Leader
I'm still plotting my trailer design. Looking like a Toyota bed with a rack that will raise and lower for my rtt.

Chericon

OK, I know I'm bringing this back from the grave, but I have a ranger long bed trailer, and even after stiffer shocks and springs, it still was a bit unstable. Problem solved by a rear anti sway bar. Found one at a junk yard and modified the mounts so they can be quickly disconnected if needed. Rides much better.

Friedom

Any updates on this? Lol I'm 6+ years late but OP has my exact goals in mind: tow behind my 4runner, haul dirtbikes, rack for tent.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier