Does the Second Amendment give individuals the right to bear arms?

Packy perhaps you should just stop typing. Your ignorance apparently gets the better half of you. Of course it doesn't surprise me that a liberal had to go start a fire in a thread because they don't truly believe in The Bill of Rights as referring to the rights of the PEOPLE therefore a limitation on the Government.
It all becomes apparent with your priorities regarding Right's. Out of the Four that you mention only TWO are actually in the Bill of Rights. The others are considered to be Right's granted to the people by the Government. Not one of the Ten Rights by which the Founding Fathers saw as given to the People by God, therefore the Government having no power to restrict or remove those rights.
To clarify its your opinion that A Speedy Fair Trail, Freedom of Religion and Speech, The Abolishment of Slavery, and Voting rights are more important than: Protecting yourself or family, insuring that in peacetime no Soldiers can be Quartered in your home without your consent, Unlawfully search and seizure, Right to a Jury in capital crime, ability to sue for wrongdoing, protection from excessive bail, the protection of your other Rights not listed, and the laws regarding your other rights being the responsibility of the State Government rather the Fed?

On your little "snipering" rant you clearly have no F@&?!$' idea what you are talking about. However, I feel that I should let you know that Sniping is something that only Snipers do. You can't go buy a Sniper Rifle and go "Snipering". What is referred to as a Sniper Rifle is merely a Precision Rifle in the hands of a Trained Sniper. So please provide us a link to the liberal propaganda paper you wrote on the AK. Which I can go buy at the Big R in its semi auto form with only about an hours wait, which in my Professional option would be more deadly than its full auto brethren.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
... but I still don't believe that the 2nd Amendment gives anyone the right to bear RPGs, Galting guns, or .50 cal sniper weapons.

Again, the point is, the constitution did not GIVE any rights. It recognized the rights that were already in existence. Government give priviledges, not rights.

The misuse of weaponry is a cultural issue. I've owned and built sniper weapons, handled machine guns and explosives, and yet despite the power to exact death and destruction in my hands, there have been no victims. How could this be?

ETA- After reading the last couple pages, I should point out that I've had suppressors on pretty much all of my sniper rifles over the last 15 years, and still noone suffered at the hands of my silent death machines.

Last edited:

jdzl

The fact that teachers are pushing their own agendas is far more worrying than any gun problems we have, or will have.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
Which I can go buy at the Big R in its semi auto form with only about an hours wait, which in my Professional option would be more deadly than its full auto brethren.

Day in and day out more deadly...
My Plt Sgt and I used to illustrate that to our sniper platoon on the range all the time by having them do break contact drills on full auto/burst vs semi auto and then go score the targets. That's with a very well trained group of Marines, about 2/3's of which were 8541s (school trained Scout-Snipers, at that time-the MOS # has changed, I'm just old).

A semi-auto rifle in the right hands is far more effective than a full auto for most circumstances.
r-
Ray

Expedition Leader
Colorado is now joining some other states including Louisiana, to make laws prohibiting the (already illegal) confiscation of guns during an emergency, such as happened after hurricane Katrina. One the one hand, it's encouraging to see state legislatures recognize the basic right of self-defense. On the other hand, it's extremely discouraging IMO to think that it takes an additional law to prohibit governments from enacting their own illegal regulations willy-nilly and trampling on citizens constitutionally-guaranteed rights and liberties. I submit that this is a good modern-day example of why the framers of the constitution foresaw the need for citizens to be able to protect themselves from their own government(s).

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2012/02/colorado-emergency-powers-legislation-passes-in-the-house.aspx?s=&st=&ps=

"On February 20, the Colorado House of Representatives passed House Bill 1064 by a 45 to 19 vote. This “Emergency Powers” legislation now goes to the state Senate for its consideration. NRA-drafted HB 1064 would prohibit the state or any government agency, during a declared state of emergency, from prohibiting or restricting the otherwise lawful possession, use, carrying, transfer, transportation, storage, or display of a firearm or ammunition; seizing or confiscating a lawfully possessed firearm, or requiring registration of a firearm or ammunition for which registration is not otherwise required by law."

nwoods

Expedition Leader
1911, I'm in full agreement with you. It's a bit if a shame that this bogus legislation doesn't use the word "any" here: during any declared state of emergency. I do appreciate that it includes transfers of weapons.

DesertXJ

Observer
1ST OFF THIS VIDEO WAS EXCELLENT

One of my favorite concealed carry videos.
If more criminals knew the general public was armed, there might be less crime.

2ND, Great thread! it brings to light what peoples thought are. That being said here's mine...........mmmmmm I have guns! if you don't like it oh well....I have a CCW issued by the state of Utah which is currently recognized by 34 other states. (which means I can carry my gun on my person in those states)
Now, Lets see if I didn't have the right to own and "bear" arms then why did the state of Utah give me a permit to do so.

Just a quick story, [edited to remove political reference]

Have a great day people.........oh and BTW GOD IS GOOD!!! flippin liberals

Last edited by a moderator:

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Many overlanders/campers carry guns with them.

When I was 12-13, I was camping at Prince Gallitzen State park with my family. Me and my cousin met 2 girls and hung out with them at the water pump for a few hours. Around dusk we walked to their camp and were standing in the road in front of their camp. We wanted to see them again, but were him-hawing on the road. The sliding door of a full size van opened a guy pointed a revolver at us and said he was going to blow our heads off if we came a step closer. We took off and never said a word about it to anyone, but learned a valuable lesson... Wackos drive vans.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
...learned a valuable lesson... Wackos drive vans.

My all time favorite bumper sticker was on a clapped out '70's van with the round porthole window and a high probablity of shag carpeting inside. The bumper sticker said:
"Don't laugh mister, you're daughter might be in here"

LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles