Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the Second Amendment give individuals the right to bear arms?

Default Does the Second Amendment give individuals the right to bear arms?

Was in my email today at work from a coworker:
    This ONLY TAKES 10 SECONDS
    Own a Gun? Please Keep This Moving
    Guess they were not happy with the poll results the first time, so USA Today is running another one....vote now
    Attorney General Eric Holder has already said this is one of his major issues. He does not believe the 2nd Amendment gives individuals the right to bear arms.

This takes literally 2 clicks to complete.
    Please vote on this gun issue question with USA Today.
    It will only take a few seconds of your time. Then pass the link on to all the pro gun folks you know.
    Hopefully these results will be published later this month.
    This upcoming year will become critical for gun owners, with the Supreme Court's accepting the District of Columbia case against the right for individuals to bear arms.
    Here's what you need to do:
    First - vote on this one.
    Second - launch it to other folks and have THEM vote - then we will see if the results get published.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/quickqu.../popup5895.htm

Default Hmmm.....

not sure what anyone expected but apparently 97% of the respondents agree with one another.
    John E.

Yes...

It could happen any time
    tornado, earthquake,
    Armageddon...

It could happen
    or sunshine, love, salvation

It could you know, that's why we wake
    and look out

No guarantees in this life but some bonuses
    like morning, like noon, like evening...

like right now

William Stafford 1914-1993

Or, to look at it another way less than 1 million of 311 million Americans agree.
    2001 Tacoma Extended Cab, 3RZ, AT, SAC, 5.29 gears, ARB FR/RR locker, and a few other mods... Build thread, Post #33
    AMERICAN ADVENTURIST ON FACEBOOK
    Adventures in and out of your Overlanding Rig... American Adventurist

Quote Originally Posted by TangoBlue View Post
    Or, to look at it another way less than 1 million of 311 million Americans agree.
    I'm not sure that is a fair statement to make. Perhaps, "Or, to look at it another way less than 1 million of 311 million Americans have voted in the poll that they agree."
    Brett

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Middle of Nowhere, Outer Skin of Space Ship Earth, 1 A.U. from Sol, Outskirts of Milky Way.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    --Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria in On Crimes and Punishment (1764).

"Uncertain as we must ever be of the particular point in our circumference where an enemy may choose to invade us, the only force which can be ready at every point and competent to oppose them, is the body of neighboring citizens as formed into a militia. On these, collected from the parts most convenient, in numbers proportioned to the invading foe, it is best to rely, not only to meet the first attack, but if it threatens to be permanent, to maintain the defence until regulars may be engaged to relieve them."
    --Thomas Jefferson: 1st Annual Message, 1801. ME 3:334

Apparently, Mr. Holder was snoozing during his American History classes.
    Current: 76 E-250, bubble-top, self-contained|couple of old Yamaha enduros
    Previous wheelers: 41 Willys|78 FJ40|78 Bronco|84 Bronco|74 Ramcharger|78 Ramcharger|79 D150 PowerWagon|77 D100|79 D400 dually, converted to 4WD, utility bed, 10' Lance|75 Westy|69 Scout, RHD|bunch of others|bunch of bikes|couple of boats|couple of motorhomes|blah blah|so what|not my idea|just doin' what I'm told|wank wank|this space for rent|candy is dandy|but liquor is quicker

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.
    Quote Originally Posted by shellb View Post
    I'm not sure that is a fair statement to make. Perhaps, "Or, to look at it another way less than 1 million of 311 million Americans have voted in the poll that they agree."
    So are you suggesting the 2nd does not give such rights?

Fortunately, what the respondents to a USA Today poll or what Eric Holder think about this issue are not really all that relevant. The fundamental issue has been decided by the Supreme Court in Heller v. D.C and McDonald v. Chicago. There are a number of cases winding their way through the courts that will clarify the precise boundaries over time, but it would be a very radical departure from precedent for the court to ignore the principle of stare decisis and throw these two cases out wholesale.
    Last edited by cnynrat; 11-09-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
    So are you suggesting the 2nd does not give such rights?
    No, not at all. I think maybe I just read his post wrong.

I thought he was referring to the number of people who actually voted being less than a million of 311 million that they agree yes with the poll "Does the Second Amendment give individuals the right to bear arms?"

Which I didn't think was a fair statement, thus added the phrase voted to his statement, making it more correct in my view.

I'm not sure what he was saying now...
    Brett

I was also informed over on MUD where I also posted this that the poll was from 2007.
    It is in the URL, and I never noticed it.

I let my friend know, as I am sure someone was trying to be helpful by sending it to him.

Anyways, it will be a cold day in hell if they ever try to take my collection from my hands.

Never give up, never surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Anyways, it will be a cold day in hell if they ever try to take my collection from my hands.

Never give up, never surrender.
    + a bazillion
    Brett

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast