Does the Second Amendment give individuals the right to bear arms?

trump

Adventurist

I would like to know why as well. . . . . . . .

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...o-Expedition-Portal-Forum-Rules-etiquette-etc

portaladmin said:
Political and religious threads are not permitted on the forum.
Political or religious threads and posts will be immediately deleted, and without PM or explanation. Posts in non-political threads that violate this rule will be immediately deleted. The only political or religious threads permitted are ones specific to international travel, like educating other members on the unique cultural, behavioral or language standards in other countries. A thread about a coup in Honduras is fine.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
To all mods, just to make it clear, we are not talking about God in this thread, we are only talking about not talking about God. No need to delete this thread :)

trump

Adventurist
Well to educate you on American cultural and behavioral standards, I think it is a joke that we cant talk about God in this forum. Maybe this thread will get deleted. How American.

No need to educate me... Tell a mod or forum admin.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Yeah sorry about that. It was intended for whoever made the original statement. No intention of shooting the messenger here.

Packy

One Angry Rabbit
It is so odd I found this topic on the portal, I just had this discussion with my 8th graders (I'm a history teacher). A few asked me about what I thought about the right to bear arms wording was about. I told them, that at that time period, Americans, being freshly liberated from Britian, feared stating armies, and the use of these gov't armies to enforce laws. I also told them to also consider that weapons like the AK-47 didn't exist, and the line between military/civilian small arms was closer than what we have today. The Founding Fathers and Mothers couldn't picture what we have today, in terms of technology, guns, cities, and society. They were enpowering Jefferson's "yeoman" farmers to protect their land and safeguard the republic from itself and other enemies. To be honest, the Founding Fathers and Mothers most likely didn't think about this one that hard, it most likely assumed that the new nation's civilians could have rifles to hunt, protect their lands...it was just the reality of being in the new world that was still "wild".

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
It is so odd I found this topic on the portal, I just had this discussion with my 8th graders (I'm a history teacher). A few asked me about what I thought about the right to bear arms wording was about. I told them, that at that time period, Americans, being freshly liberated from Britian, feared stating armies, and the use of these gov't armies to enforce laws. I also told them to also consider that weapons like the AK-47 didn't exist, and the line between military/civilian small arms was closer than what we have today. The Founding Fathers and Mothers couldn't picture what we have today, in terms of technology, guns, cities, and society. They were enpowering Jefferson's "yeoman" farmers to protect their land and safeguard the republic from itself and other enemies. To be honest, the Founding Fathers and Mothers most likely didn't think about this one that hard, it most likely assumed that the new nation's civilians could have rifles to hunt, protect their lands...it was just the reality of being in the new world that was still "wild".

So the founding fathers who authored that document that contains the second amendment never mentioned their fear or distrust of government to infringe upon the rights of ordinary citizens?

History also records their intent beyond your explanation of self-protection and gathering food.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Packy, I agree that the weapons could not have been envisioned, but the key you are overlooking, is that other than canon, the weapons of the civilians were comparable to the weapons carried by solders. That is the basis of the thinking, then, and today. The citizenry should be well equipped if they are to stand against an unjust government. I think it was Ben Franklin that said, "An armed person is a Citizen, and unarmed person is a Subject."

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
So, RPG launchers should be the right of every citizen?
.... Along with RIGHTS comes RESPONSIBILITIES.
Responsibilities for a "citizen" are to vote, to obey the law, and to stand up for their constitutional rights.
Odd that some believe that being a "citizen" allows them to pick and choose from a special list of constitutional rights they deem worthy of protecting.
Take away 'my' right to bear arms today, and tomorrow 'I' may want to take away your right to free speech.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles