$20k Budget, 2004-06 F-150, 1st gen Tundra or 2000-2002 F-250, 7.3L

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
OK I'll throw my vote in for the 1st Gen Tundra. For your needs a 2005 or 2006 Double Cab.
The 1st Gens ride excellently on pavement or rough roads.
IMO, the 4.7 liter V8 is one of the most underrated engines ever. Silky smooth and plenty of power for it's size. Mines at 175,000 with no leaks, no smoke, and no noise that doesn't belong.
The transmissions are well matched to the motor.
The truck itself as a whole is very durable and capable. Very smooth with no squeaks or rattles, and I've had it off road, rough forest road, gravel road, beaches. It's gone everywhere I've needed, and hauled anything I've needed; camping gear, firewood, gravel (2300lbs worth once!) lumber.It's no 80 series Land Cruiser but it will surprise you off road, and if you're not trying to haul diesel worthy loads it will tow what you need.
The Tundra is certainly worthy of your consideration....

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm voting for a 2005 Ford Superduty. 5.4 or 6.8L. Otherwise a older 7.3 model is fine.

2005 perks:
Dana 60 front axle
Manual Locking hubs
5r110 transmission
Coil springs up front
3 valve heads

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
I just picked up a 2002 dmax with 75k for 18k. Super clean and one of the most solid trucks I have ever driven. Just a thought... I still say you find a clean 7.3, may be a bit more to run but it will make it up to you when it keeps driving for another 400k after its paid off. lol

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Because you are stuck at 20k on the budget your going to get more truck in the 1/2 ton category. Any 3/4 ton diesel that is priced at 20k is going to have more mileage/use on it versus 1/2 tons priced at 20k. Since you dont need the diesel I wouldnt get one. I have owned 2 duramaxes and 4 dodge cummins trucks. I only buy the diesel because I need to pull the weight. I would pick the gas if that worked for me.

cmu91024

Another option

Apparently my wife would be happy to drive the truck so that would leave the option of keeping the 80 series land cruiser for exploring and me using her altima for a DD.

She's been wanting a new to her car so in the long run it may be the cheaper way to go. Other than a DD the truck would be used for towing our camping trailer. @wd would be fine.

Since the land cruiser wouldn't be a DD I would have more time to do the maintenance and mods a 190k Landcrusier needs. Any thoughts on this new twist?

Japes

Displaced Texan
I really like the Tundra, I was in the market for one before I got my trooper and I LOVED them, like the previous poster said, the 4.7 is under appreciated, it deserves a lot more respect. They are comfortable, powerful, and still a reasonable size for daily driving.

bftank

Explorer
i vote diesel 3/4t 7.3l it might be slightly more expensive but it is way more versatile than the 1/2t or toyota. you never know when it will be handy to haul a lot of weight.

cmu91024

Thanks everybody for the helpful advice. I think I need to kick some tires and take a few test drives to make a decision.

Chris

If you aren't towing heavy you will love the crew cab 1/2 ton. I have had both of them. 2000/2003 F350 7.3L and 2003 F150 SuperCrew. The newer 1/2 ton trucks are even nicer then the one I had! I now have a 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 with the Cummins diesel. I just filled it up today for $124. Diesel is very expensive right now at about a dollar over regular unleaded. Just something to think about.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I have a 99 F 150, 4x4 ext cab with 74K on it...yes, it still looks great. It has had zero problems except power locks and window switch. I guess I get about 14/15 in town and drive like granny. I'm in hilly country and don't get near 20 hwy but might in Kansas. I haven't checked it, just seems I watch the gas gauge go down. Diesel in my area is waaay tooo much to justify going diesel unless you really need one. I think I kept it too long now and won't get what it is really worth, can't do better for the money. Bought it new and have had it longer than any vehicle I have ever owned (over a hundred!) and no I'm not a dealer. Bottom line, the F-150 has been well worth the money and never failed me......knock on wood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles