$20k Budget, 2004-06 F-150, 1st gen Tundra or 2000-2002 F-250, 7.3L

cmu91024

I have a $20k budget for a new truck after I sell my landcruiser. It would be a dd and a family camping vehichle so I need a crew cab. I like the smaller size and maneuvrability of the 2004-06 F-150 short bed and 1st gen. Tundra but I also like the capability of the F-250 with the 7.3 diesel since the 4.7 and 5.4 are not power houses. However, I never plan on towing over 6000 lbs. and I would like to take it on moderately difficult trails like Pleasant Canyon, Lippencot Trail and Dedecker Canyon in Death Valley. I would consder the Dodges but the crew cabs are too small and the Megacabs to big.

Any thoughts?

Xrunner

Explorer
Have you considered a ~2008 4-door Tacoma? IIRC the towing capacity is around 6,500 with the V6 and tow package... definitely doesn't have the power of a diesel but might be worth a look.

1sweetvan

Adventurer
I'm a Ford guy and think the 5.4L is plenty strong enough and certainly reliable, but would lean toward the Toyota unless your family is tall and long legged. Then I'd go with the Ford.

cmu91024

I love the Tacomas but that 4.0L has the same torque as my Land Cruiser straight six which slows way down on hills towing 3000# tent trailer. Also the back seat is a little small.

schnutzy

Observer
Ive spent a good amount of time in both the driver and passengers seats of a 07 F150 crew cab/short bed, and a little time driving a 2001 F250 extended cab/long bead diesel

Now with the F150, great highway cruiser, quiet and comfortable. the 5.4 has always had enough power for any towing/hauling ive had to do(granted, nothing more then about 3,500 pounds) gas millage isnt even that bad for what it is. I got a best of 19 on a long highway drive, but I also drive like your grandma, cruise control and the right lane all the way. For passenger room, we have never had a problem fitting 4 people and 4 dogs in there for 2-3 hours at a time.

With the F250, driving that was a lot of fun. The diesel is a beast, however, that thing was big, parallel parking was interesting the first few times I tried it. Definitely did not ride as nice as the F150 though.

While I love diesels, if you are not going to tow more then 6000 pounds, I would stick with a half ton truck. that also gets you something with less miles, and possibly nicer as far as options go. not to mention the cost of fuel. The F150 has always averaged better then the F250 when caravanning together on long trips although this could also have to do with the gearing. the F150 is geared more towards highway, while the F250 is geared more towards towing(once again, this is just these specific trucks).

I have no experience with the gen one tundras, so I have no useful things to add there.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
I know the Chevy's have great motors but I didn;t consider them mainly due to looks and transmission reliability.

Explain?
My Ally has been rock solid, honestly the best transmission I have ever had.. :ylsmoke:

My .02 7.3. One of the best motors ever made... You will have to replace the truck before the motor.

97discosd

Adventurer
I say go with the f150. Great trucks, reliable as any vehicle in its class. My only help is to be picky. The 5.4 is a Exelent engine as long as services are kept up. They don't like to be neglected. This coming from a ford heavy line tech.

7.3l are great too but are much more costly to own and maintain.

brussum

Adventurer
I've owned both Fords you're considering (I have a '02 F350 and owned a '05 F150). For a DD and family vehicle, I think the F150 is great. It drives nice, is very quiet, and has plenty of amenities. The engine is powerful, but it just doesnt feel that way...it doesn't have the acceleration or raw V8 feel you would expect. Overall, it handles and rides like a nice SUV with a pickup rear end...very similar comfort to my wife's Expedition. Ours also had backup sensors, which is great for parking.

My F350, on the other hand, rides like a pickup (the phrase "brick *******house" comes to mind). I absolutely love the truck and will never sell it, but it handles like a tank and I feel every crack in the pavement. It has absolutely no body roll in the corners, which is surprising for a 8,000lb rig. Granted, the F250 will ride a little softer, but probably not that much different when empty. The diesel is very powerful, but it's also loud and carrying on a conversation with my wife or the kids in the backseat at highway speeds is challenging. The fuel is also about 50 cents more expensive here than regular unleaded. The cabin on my F350 is pretty barebones as far as luxury goes, even for a Lariat. The SuperDuty line got much more luxurious in 2003 or 2004 with the King Ranch, etc. I have power everything and air conditioning, but that's about it. Ford also switched a fold down rear seat a few years later, which is a very nice feature (mine is still the old tilt forward rear seat like you'd find in a pickup from 1971). Still, you can't beat the power train, IMHO, and I love the diesel sound and feel. It's like driving an old Army deuce-and-a-half truck.

For the uses you describe, I would buy a F150...it's a better value if you're going to be doing only light towing.

cmu91024

Explain?
My Ally has been rock solid, honestly the best transmission I have ever had.. :ylsmoke:

My .02 7.3. One of the best motors ever made... You will have to replace the truck before the motor.

Thanks for the reply
As far as the chevy transmission I was talking about the transmissions in the 1/2 tons with the gas engines.

The 2500's with Duramax/Allison are beyond my budget because it is a great powertrain.

bjowett

Adventurer
Have you considered a 2nd generation Tundra? The double cabs are pretty decent in size, and can be had in the $18k - 20k range. They are a Land Cruiser under the skin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles