Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Show off your Truck Shell / Top Modifications and Add-Ons !

Lightbulb Show off your Truck Shell / Top Modifications and Add-Ons !

I am in the process of getting a camper shell for my 2011 Tacoma. I have been brainstorming some ideas of how I want to set it up.
    One thing I want to do is making a platform in the bed, so I can store things under it, and use it as a sleeping platform.
    Adding some led lighting, mounts for containers, water jugs, and other camping supplies.
    There was a similar thread here that talked about showing your bed storage.
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...storage-system
    But I thought I would start one that was more general, and about any neat mod or add-on that you guys have done to make your trucks shell or top more versitile and fitting to the expedition lifestyle.

There are some great bed platforms on this site but I would consider keeping it simple. Plywood, drawer slides and other goodies add up the weight.

OK, I'll start:
    I have an ARE MX canopy with walk thru door that I have tried to turn into a mini camper with the following mods:
    1) Yakima tracks for removable kayak racks
    2) Solar powered light and fan in centre of roof
    3) Heavy rubber floor mat
    4) Fixed high bed with storage under on the right side (tools, jerry cans, etc) and a folding lower bed on the left side with a long skinny storage area under (high lift jack, shovel, jack base, etc.) plus a storage area in front for use as a table with an area for a coolant heater below (not installed yet)
    5) Mini Kitchen added at right rear (accessible with canopy hatch open which serves as a sun and rain canopy)

Shameless plug: the whole setup, and the truck box, are for sale to make room for a flatbed and brand new XP Camper, see link below for details:
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...opy-Cap-camper

Cheers
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OutbacKamper; 11-10-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: forgot to subscribe
    XPCampers International

A.R.E Shell with Yakima everything else...

2006 Chevrolet Silverado LT 1500 Z71 5.3L
    Rough Country Suspension 4", Torsion Keys
    A.R.E. CX Truck Cap
    RAM Mount Laptop Mount
    Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 285x70x17
    Flowmaster 50
    Viair on-board air system (2) 2.5 gallon tanks
    Superchips Cortex
    Optima Red and Yellow Top batteries 34/78
    Perfect Switch Power Gate Dual Rectifier
    Spectre Cold Air Intake
    Cobra 29LX and 1500w Inverter
    KC Daylighters 130w (4) (2) Reverse Lights
    Yakima Load Warrior w/accessories

Great setups guys, I picked up my top on friday and started fixing up some things right away.
    I got my platform built, I used 3/4" pine, its 3 sections running width ways, may have been batter off with 2 length ways, we shall see.
    I was just going to paint it, but I figured wtf I will stain it, used ebony Minwax stain.
    The top is from a local company that makes them called Ridge Runner. Was $1177 out the door.

Default SnugTop SnugPro...

Here are some pics of my rig and cabinets...

Enjoy!

Regards,

BWJ
    2011 Tundra 5.7L V8 / TRD CAI / Hypertech / Bamuffler / Toytec / OME leafs / 295s / TRD alloys / SnugTOP / Baja Rack / Atomic sliders / IBS - Diehards / EXO front and rear bumper / Rigid D2s (2x) / 40" + 30" LED light bar / Warn VR 10,000 / Masterpull / ARB twin air compressor / ...IT'S FINISHED...

2010 Outlander Sherpa II with OZtent RV-5 (Master suite...)

Nice thread. I'd thought about doing that with my truck, but I've got my attention set on building our new 2012 JK now. Maybe one day.
    Richard Bryan - KF4ZAI
    operationorange.com

Here is mine,

My truck build-up ---> 2010 Dodge Cummins 3/4 Ton Crew Cab

My M101-A2 build up ---> Camping utility trailer

Quote Originally Posted by OutbacKamper View Post
    OK, I'll start:
    I have an ARE MX canopy with walk thru door that I have tried to turn into a mini camper with the following mods:

4) Fixed high bed with storage under on the right side (tools, jerry cans, etc) and a folding lower bed on the left side with a long skinny storage area under (high lift jack, shovel, jack base, etc.) plus a storage area in front for use as a table with an area for a coolant heater below (not installed yet)

Cheers
    Mark
    I like the set-up. You've given me a starting point to work off. I like the idea of the middle void for additional storage containers, ice/food chest or simply a pathway when getting in/out of bed.
    Mike
    SAC'ed 2000 V8 tundra - http://dyogim.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by OutbacKamper View Post
    OK, I'll start:
    I have an ARE MX canopy with walk thru door that I have tried to turn into a mini camper with the following mods...
    Hi Mark,

What's your experience with the walk through door setup? Obviously the whole setup isn't perfect because you're getting rid of it but I'd be interested in your observations of what works well and what doesn't. Thanks in advance!
    Graham Fitter

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast