Camp Desserts -- An Odd Question

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
Agreed. Awesome. My wife made some a while back for a Mojave Trail run

697223113_DUdXJ-XL.jpg

Is just folding them enough to keep the ends closed or do you need additional assistance like a toothpick or something along those lines? These look fantastic. :ylsmoke:

beemerchef

Explorer
All this looks so good on this freezing and hungry too early morning in the Big Bend Desert!!! (why do I do this??? !).
Love those pie-holes!!! Never seen that before... will give it a try!
I do something called plainly "stuffed banana" (no brain surgery here...).

I don't think one even needs words to explain... only to put those stuffed bananas around the coals, need a good heat but not too hot! Also, make two per person and use a spoon... One is never enough. Peanut Butter chips also work well... walnut pieces... you name it!

i-sdZnCtG-L.jpg

i-V5Rp4NC-L.jpg

i-FgJV7BJ-L.jpg

Marshmallows on top of the chips works better and holds it all together... somehow!

i-XcLzL73-L.jpg

i-rKXfj7N-L.jpg

A good 3-~40 minutes near by the coals...

Be well, Ara and Spirit

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Is just folding them enough to keep the ends closed or do you need additional assistance like a toothpick or something along those lines? These look fantastic. :ylsmoke:

Because you are literally dropping them in hot oil, you need to keep them tightly wrapped so that the oil doesn't get inside. This means securing them well. We tried long toothpicks and short skewers, but working them loose on a HOT freshly fried wrap isn't very easy. Butcher string works quite well however.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I like to make campfire donuts... just use the cheap biscuts from the store, stretch them to create a hole. Quick pan fry in hot oil, flip... and then toss them in a tupperware style container with powder sugar or your favorite topping/glaze.

I made some for my friends on a recent trip to the White Rim... I was crowned king of the campfood ;)

However, you do need a oil recovery plan after the event.

Jiggity

Observer
I combined Overland Gourmet's and a similar Martha Stewart recipe for grilled peaches. Sauce 2-3 tbls brown sugar, 1/3 stick butter, 2 tbls (or cup, dealer's choice) tequila.

Grill open face down and baste skin with sauce. When you get good grill marks, flip and fill pit and face with sauce. When it bubbles in the pit, should be good to go. drizzle a little sauce into grill for nice flambe!

Shurppa

Observer
waffledog.jpgI love my little waffle dog iron. They can be filled with ANYTHING. Breakfast sausages,Twix candy bars,Bluebarries and cream cheese, Strawbarries, I evan made crab fritters once. What ever you can think of that will fit in the iron

CJCA

Adventurer
I like to make campfire donuts... just use the cheap biscuts from the store, stretch them to create a hole. Quick pan fry in hot oil, flip... and then toss them in a tupperware style container with powder sugar or your favorite topping/glaze.

I made some for my friends on a recent trip to the White Rim... I was crowned king of the campfood ;)

However, you do need a oil recovery plan after the event.

Thanks for the great idea!

I tried it this morning and it’s just so easy to make your donuts and they are very, very good. I bought a roll of cheap canned bisquit dough and made 8 of them earlier today just to road test prior to making donuts in camp. Outstanding! I made a simple glaze with sugar, milk & vanilla extract (Alton Brown / Good Eats recipe) for a few, took a couple and shook them up with powdered sugar and drizzled a little warm vanilla cake icing on the last of them. Mmmmm good!

You can bet I’ll use your idea in the near future when out in the middle of nowhere and we’re Jonesing for sweets with morning coffee and after dinner for dessert.

IMG_0273.jpg

Safado

Adventurer
A bit skeptical on the Mexican S'Mores and donuts, so I tried them both out. AWESOME!!! The donuts were definitely easier and faster to get going and clean up. On the S'Mores I opted for dark chocolate chips and used raw tortillas (from Costco) and they get a nice pastry type puff shell to them. Be sure to secure them somehow however as once they go in the oil they puff quite a bit and will come undone otherwise. I used toothpicks and had no problems, but using standard marshmallows vs. minis were easier to roll and pin.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
Agreed. Awesome. My wife made some a while back for a Mojave Trail run

697223113_DUdXJ-XL.jpg

OMG EPIC!!!! I want one!!!

Thanks for the great idea!

I tried it this morning and it’s just so easy to make your donuts and they are very, very good. I bought a roll of cheap canned bisquit dough and made 8 of them earlier today just to road test prior to making donuts in camp. Outstanding! I made a simple glaze with sugar, milk & vanilla extract (Alton Brown / Good Eats recipe) for a few, took a couple and shook them up with powdered sugar and drizzled a little warm vanilla cake icing on the last of them. Mmmmm good!

You can bet I’ll use your idea in the near future when out in the middle of nowhere and we’re Jonesing for sweets with morning coffee and after dinner for dessert.

IMG_0273.jpg

how do you make them in camp? do you actually deep fry them in camp, or ???

nwoods

Expedition Leader

Yes. Bring a plastic jug of oil, a big pot, and a good stove. Allow to cool down overnight, and pour back into the jug and bring it home. Or dump it into your buddy's bio-diesel truck :)

CJCA

Adventurer

At home, I poured about an inch of cooking oil in my usual frying pan, brought the oil up to temperature (I toss a small piece of bread in the oil to judge temperature) and tossed the formed dough in the pan. Fry about 90 seconds, then flip and fry for another 90 seconds and the donuts were done. Cool for a minute or two and then add your glaze or whatever topping you desire. Really easy and got great results on the first try.

I haven’t made them in camp yet, but that’s the plan. Thanks to Rezarf for posting camp donuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles