Brandy's 2012 JKUR Build

James Pierce

Adventurer
If you came just to look at the pictures feel free to skip my dissertation:)

We recently had the opportunity to test drive a new 2012 JKUR. We ordered one the very next week! Brandy's 08 JKUR had only 50k miles on it but after driving the 2012's I had to have one. I was blown away by the increased HP and 5spd transmission. It didn't take much to convince her either. After our record-breaking heat this summer she was already thinking about a lighter color. Brandy's only stipulation was she wanted all of the same accessories that her 08 had with the exception of one. If it was going to be white she wanted an exo cage similar to the defender 110's.

The order was placed on 9/27/11 and we took possession on 10/26/11. Over the past few weeks I have begun the slow process of building my idea of the perfect overland vehicle to fit our needs. A lot of thought has gone into this build and having had the 08 for 4 years it has given me a lot of time to evaluate this platform and determine what is best for us and the type of camping / off-roading we do.

God made each and everyone of us different. We look different, have different interest / hobbies, drive different trucks, and have different outdoor destinations. Some of you more seasoned travelers living in undeveloped countries might not understand the method behind my madness. For those of you who drive your truck to work daily and leave the pavement every chance you get this may make more sense. Either way this is simply my interpretation of what platform works best for us. I hope you guys enjoy reading along and even laughing at my mistakes, they are abundant. Just ask Brandy. She keeps track.;)

Last edited:

schmugboy

Observer
Did you strip down your 08' on trade-in or sell separate. I would like to consider this with my 09' just not sure what stuff I can move from my 09' to a 12'

MCObray

Explorer
Nice! I love your old color of your '08... but I even love the all white, with white top even more! You guys must be excited with the new motor in the '12s. Congrats on the purchase and I look forward to seeing the build up of your new white 4-DR Rubicon.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I can relate to the dislike for the black Jeep, I'm adding a lighter colored Jeep to my collection in the next few days. I was going to buy a white one with tan interior, but found one I liked more in a light metallic color that already has a few upgrades.

TroutSafari

Both Jeeps look real nice, but I agree the white looks better especially with the painted top. I am sure you will enjoy the new motor and trans.

I will be painting my top silver as well when the time comes to do so. I like the stock black fenders with color matched tops. It would be a PITA to have fenders painted to match every time you banged one up or broke one off. Will be following along with interest...

James Pierce

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind words.

Several variables played into Brandy choosing white. A few being:

After our summer of record breaking temperatures she wanted something that would be cooler.

Although we both loved the look of the Steel Blue she wanted a lighter color that would not show dirt and scratches as easily.

And since I couldn't talk her into tan and a friend of ours has silver she chose "expo white"...

I am fairly certian most of the modifications we made to the 08 would have transfered to the 12; however in a mater of days we sold it with all the accessories for close to what we gave for it new in 07. The stealership only offered us 1500 extra on trade if we left the accessories on:eek:

Here is a copy of the build sheet:

2012 JKUR Build Sheet001-1.jpg

A short list of goals for the truck:

Escape Gear Seat Covers
285x75x17 BFG KM2's
1.5" Wheel Spacers
AEV 2.5" Lift
AEV Procal
AEV Front Bumper
Warn 9.5cti-s (still undecided on this)
Expedition Outfitters Rear Bumper
Expedition Outfitters Exo Cage
Fridge Slide (we already have a 45qt ARB) Need to find a good comparison of the Engel and Tembo Tusk
Hella 4000's up front

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Nice one! We had the same three colors in mind, and a silver one with the correct spec sheet turned up. It made the choice easy. We would have been just as happy with tan or white. Enjoy the re-build! Fun to do it a second time. You get to rethink your choices from the last go round...

Just did the same thing. My 2010 JK's inability to run the speed limit, pull a trailer or get over 12 mpg's was frustrating me. I went in to order a 2012 but they had the exact one I wanted so I came home with my new white Rubicon on Wednesday.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Congratulations!!! Love the white with the white roof and the black fenders :D, looks gorgeous. That's what I should have done. The ones I saw were all white with white fenders, which I did not like at all. Looking at yours - sorry, Brandy's - I might end up painting my hard top white.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94