Trailer Build

Intuit

Observer
Alright, so as the weather is cooling down and I find myself needing to have an "indoor" project. I have decided to begin my off road trailer build. I really want to build a teardrop, but with family, work, and school I do not anticipate having enough time required. Therefore, after scouring the different forums on the internet and being realistic of my wants, expectations, and time; I really grew fond of "box rocket's" trailer. Simple, clean, user-friendly, and not to mention a very well build thread. Needless to say, it is all his fault that I have decided to begin this build.

I actually built the "chassis" of the trailer last weekend.

IMAG0253.jpg

The chassis is 2.5" x 2.5" x .120 and 4' x 6'. Now for the bad news...I initially welded it while it was on the garage floor and being .120 wall I did not anticipate any drastic warping. Well, no such luck; it ending up being approximately 3/16" of warp in it. So, I cut it with a cut-off wheel, drug my steel bench into the garage, and tacked the chassis to the bench until all welds were completed. Success!

The uprights being placed into position. Now, after much debate (within my own head), I had decided to go 22" with the sides. My reasoning for this is that this height coupled with the 1" rise from the top railing I will have adequate room for a fridge in the future. Just hoping I do not regret it for aesthetic reasons; but hey, at times we must sacrifice looks for purpose...right?

IMAG0254.jpg

Got all of the uprights and top railing welded today and picked up the material for the skin. I have decided to fabricate "doors" on both sides. My reasoning for this is to have "quick" access to things like air compressor, flashlights and whatever else may be needed without having to open the lid (oh yea, I am also planning to build a lid for the trailer). Additionally, when I do get a fridge it will be on sliding hinges; just open the side door and pull the fridge out. I still have a little trimming to do in order to fit the skin.

Any recommendations are welcomed and greatly appreciated!

IMAG0285.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

Intuit

Observer
Does it have a tongue, are the axle mounts on it. Could not see anything.

Does not have an axle or a tongue yet. I am hoping to order the axle this week. As for the tongue, I am still unsure of the length. It seems as though most people are going 4 feet. Is this a "standard" length? What are the pro's and con's of going with a longer one? The only reason this is a concern is due to the back door on the FJ Cruiser, it requires ample room to open. I would like to mount things on the tongue, but would need more than 4 feet to do so.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with warping problems. My other trailers were built with a single piece of square tube from the hitch all the way to the rear receiver which eliminated most chances of warping.

I read that your uprights are 22" is this correct?

What gauge are you using for the skin material?

Intuit

Observer
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with warping problems. My other trailers were built with a single piece of square tube from the hitch all the way to the rear receiver which eliminated most chances of warping.

I read that your uprights are 22" is this correct?

What gauge are you using for the skin material?

system f,

Sorry for the delayed response! Yeah, I think I have all the warping issues taken care of. As for the uprights, yes...22". As for the skin, 16 gauge cause I got a really good deal. I just scored some tires for the trailer and need to mount them on my extra set of factory fj wheels. Getting there, but with the holidays fast approaching I fear it may put a damper on my build.

tclaremont

Observer
Try to make sure that your tongue is long enough to where you can do a 90 degree angle with the truck / trailer and not have the box of the trailer hit the tow vehicle. This will make life easier when it comes time to maneuvering and accessing the tailgate while still hooked up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier