New Guy

vince666

Hi all, I'm new to Mitsbishi Trucks, I've recently purchased an ex Australian army 4x4 Canter Ambulance which I intend on using a camper/expedition vehicle.
I've found a wealth of information on this site.
If anyone has any experience with any ambulance conversions, love to hear from you.
I'd like to fit larger tyres, but wonder how the n/a diesel would cope?
I'll post pics if anyone is interested.
Thanks

engineer

Adventurer
Sounds like a 637 with the 4.2, they go awesome with an aftermarket turbo!!!
the 4.2 does okay, we had them with 900/16s on Fraser, unstoppable in 1st gear 4x4 high range on sand!!!

vince666

pics

I'll give posting pics a go. It's a 2000 model

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 99
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 100

blackduck

Explorer
of course your going to keep the paintwork
it would be a shame to paint it some pansy color and get rid of the presence it has in cam

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Vince,

That's a really interesting truck. Have a few q's if you don't mind

Can you see who made the bullbar?
What brand of winch is it? It is hydraulic right?
Wonder how big the hydraulic oil tank is and is there a cooler in the circuit?

And as Engineer said.....they go great with an aftermarket turbo. A mate just fitted a turbo to his 637 crewcab.....bought a Turboglide kit and did most of the plumbing himself (and he's a slacko for never posting...not mentioning any names, Dave) . Superior Turbos up in Towoomba used to do a really good kit with a cast manifold...not sure if they still do but probably worth a call. Never seen anyone fit an intercooler to an aftermarket turbo installation but a water/air would be pretty cool and there are plenty of them on the market for the Jap performnce car scene. Anyway you'd probably soak up $4000k or $5000 pretty quick doing any of that and you might have other plans for your hard earned.............They go OK standard anyway but you really notice the benefit of a turbo on long hills, deep sand, highway speeds, etc.

Regards John.

Last edited:

vince666

aircon.jpgBunk.jpgDbl bed.jpgGas.jpgHeater.jpgHyd tank.jpgLoo.jpgPTO.jpgstep closed.jpgHi John,
Can't tell who made the bull bar, but seems well made and heavy duty. The winch is a 15000lb Superwinch, by the look of it i'd think it might be underrated? Cant see any oil cooler, but the hydraulic tank holds about 55 litres of oil, so i'd think unless extreme winching there would not be a problem. I plan to set it up for my young Son and I, so won't be needing all the "mod cons" a bunk for him and a bigger bed for me. i've included a couple of pics of the hydraulic pump, tank and progress so far. Before any one comments on the gas bottle-yes its not bolted down and yes its not vented yet, might not even go there. The esky is there because i think thats where i want the 3 way fridge. the truck has less than 20,000 km on it, but im also doing up a tandam box trailer to match it, so with regards to turbo charging, i'll wait to see how it pulls all loaded. Larger tyres and a SWR conversion interest me though.
Thanks

blackduck

Explorer
!!! NICE !!!
you cant go far wrong buying ex military - the guys that operate them use them like thier lives depend on it (pardon the ambulance related pun)
my own choice - im not sure id go a 3 way fridge, theyre good but not suited to all operating climates. Ive always been a compressor man myself and the choice is almost endless

youll have to keep the forum posted with piccies of your progress
I think the finished product of truck and trailer both in cam will be awesome
ill keep an eye out for you when i get over that side of the island

Stu

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Vince,

Thanks for the pics / answers.

Yeah, at 55 litres, you should be fine for even serious winching. That looks like an excellent setup and worth far more than you probably realize.

If you're looking at a SRW, the wheels are 900mm Dia so that rear left mudguard & toolbox look a little close and may need to be moved back or truncated.

Ditto on what Stu said about 3-way fridges too.......... they just suck allround......you'll find most compressor fridges are dual volt and will work fine with your 24volt FG637. I have a little 35 Litre Waeco, the non-digital one........relatively cheap, works well, miserly on the power consumption, tough all plastic construction so nothing to corrode, etc. Eventually fit some solar on your roof.....at least 120watts......and I bet it already has extra batteries and you and your son 'll be set.

Regards John.

Last edited:

vince666

P2040055a.JPGP1110826a.JPGP1120829a.JPGP1280860a.JPGP1280872a.JPGP1290883a.JPGP1290885a.JPGP1290894a.JPGP1290895a.JPGP1290899a.JPGWell, my Son and I couldn't wait to complete our camper, so we packed it up and headed off for 10 days to some of the Victorian High Country to have a much needed break. Prior to leaving we brought a Primus 3 way fridge and had it wired for 12 volt operation, put a generator on a slide and had a 15 amp 240 volt system fitted so that we could run off either the gen set or mains power-if we stopped at a van park etc, we also fitted a microwave for the odd quick meal on the road. The truck went well, a little underpowered on hills but we just went slower! We used it on some washed out firetrails and were very happy with its ability to crawl in low range first through most areas, low tracks are something else and we had to get out the chainsaw once! Its a bit airless inside at night so i've got some windows being made for the sides and rear.
Against advice we chose a 3 way fridge, but i must say it performed excellent.
Fuel economy towing the trailer with our bikes in was not great, we think we'll opt for a smaller trailer.
We ended up camping in the bush most of the time around the Mt Baw Baw area, one side benefit of the truck is the number of people who want to talk to you about it, we were put on to a couple of great camping spots that way.
On the way home we nearly had a bad accident when a truck coming the opposite way came on to our side of the road, luckily i was able to swerve and he only hit the drivers mirror, but we were both shaken!
All in all we had a great time, found out a few shortcomings that we already have plans to attend to. My 12 year old Son and I are already planning our next trip.
I've attached a few pics of our trip.
Thanks

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Great pics look like a great spot we might have a look one day.
Wow Kel loves your loo set up .:drool:
I love the looks of your truck , the bullbar and the winch set up looks unreal, very tough well made\designed.

What are your next plans for the camper?

blackduck

Explorer
Prior to leaving we brought a Primus 3 way fridge and had it wired for 12 volt operation,
Against advice we chose a 3 way fridge, but i must say it performed excellent.

Vince
not sure about the primus fridge but if its like most 3 ways the 12 volt is constant and may knock you battery to peices in no time. most van installs end up with a solenoid off the ignition to kill the 12 volt when the trucks not running.
also the advice regarding 12 volt compressors versus 3 ways isnt applicable to victoria or regions with low humidity they work great down south and because they have no moving parts (so long as you run it up every couple of months) will last forever
take that puppy up to FNQ or NT and youll see why compressors are the go
also with a decent solar setup your beer will never go cold

and on a parting note - why isnt the trailer camo yet that should be number one priority :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles