Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M101A2 Camping/Expo Trailer

Default M101A2 Camping/Expo Trailer

Not sure how much of a build thread this is going to turn out to be (may take a while). Here is my recently acquired (from Gov Liquidations at the tune of $352 out the door) 1990 M101A2 trailer. I would have prefered a M416 but since the price is stupid high and I cant even find one remotley close to me I settled for this cheaper/semi local option. It has the original axle and smaller tires. I want to swap out the axle, but right now funds wont allow it. I am working on getting rid of the rust (the inside of the box was worse than the outside) and repainting/roll on bed liner. For now its going to be a camping gear transport trailer (which ultimately most expo trailers are). I have thrown around the idea of cutting it down some by cutting out a portion of the center and re welding the sides to the inside of the fender wells, then rebuilding the exposed floor for more of a trail friendly shape (think M416 with shelves on the sides for fuel/water cans) but I don't know if that would be worth the effort/sacrifice of space. Here are the pics from the day I got it home (pulled it home with my wifes honda pilot). It almost looks to big for my truck, but Im loving the amount of space it has.

Last edited by nexgen91; 11-12-2011 at 02:46 AM.
    -02 Double Cab Tacoma SR5 V6 TRD Off Road
    *Supercharged
    *URD 7th Injector
    *AllPro Offroad Front Bumper and Diff/Trans Skids
    *Demillo Offroad Rear Bumper and Sliders
    *Doahue Racing/IVD Front Coilovers
    *Camburg UCA's
    *Rancho Rear Shocks w/ Leaf Pack
    *Innovate Motorsports LM2 Wideband w/ Data Log

Where did yuo get that roll bar light bar? The one on your Taco.

NICE! That trailer will look great painted toyota green with matching 6 bolt hubs and wheels.
    Let the build begin!
    Good purchase.

Nice trailer. It's definitely not too big for the Taco. I pull mine with a 2-door Wrangler. Have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtytires View Post
    Where did yuo get that roll bar light bar? The one on your Taco.
    It came on the truck when I bought it from the previous owner, I think they had it built. I like it cause its got a bed bar for a high lift, and a cb antenna mount to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Harley View Post
    NICE! That trailer will look great painted toyota green with matching 6 bolt hubs and wheels.
    Let the build begin!
    Good purchase.
    That would be awsome, for now though Im going to paint it krylon camo green (scratch resistance and easy to tuch up)

Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser View Post
    Nice trailer. It's definitely not too big for the Taco. I pull mine with a 2-door Wrangler. Have fun with it.
    Thanks for the reassurance, I have seen pics of people pulling the with 4 dr JKs which are close to the size of my truck, and also FJ cruisers as well. The proportions just look off in my pics for some reason.
    Last edited by nexgen91; 11-13-2011 at 07:28 PM.
    *Supercharged
    *URD 7th Injector
    *Camburg UCA's

Here are some photochops I did playing around (first one is for referance)

For this one I removed part of the front of the box:

For this one I removed part of the rear and front of the box and shortened the tongue, looks more balanced, but Im kind of scared of shortening the tongue (my welding skills are not spectacular, and I dont have money to pay someone to do it):

Either way it would still be really wide.

Speaking of a huge trailer check this out:
    Here are the weights...
    Empty (truck & trailer): 5920 lbs.
    Full: 8680 lbs.
    Trailer Weight (empty): 1,730 lbs.
    Truck Weight (empty): 4190 lbs.
    My Weight: 150 lbs.
    Load Weight: 2710 lbs.
    Truck/Trailer/Me weight: 8830 lbs.

Last edited by nexgen91; 11-14-2011 at 03:26 AM.
    *Supercharged
    *URD 7th Injector
    *Camburg UCA's

Train tables in the trailer?

Sorry to tell you this bro but the washer and dryer will not fit in th e build. lol

Quote Originally Posted by nexgen91 View Post
    . It almost looks to big for my truck, but Im loving the amount of space it has.
    You are correct. It is too big.

OK for highway use, and gentle dirt roads, but out of line for heavy use off-road. Of course you may never do that, which doeant mean its untrue. Heavily loaded this trailer will drive your vehicle. And keep in mind that, in general, mil trailers will gross out before they bulk out, which will entice you to overload it.

Then again, I am the lone voice on this issue. They are great trailers, I wouldnt cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Harley View Post
    Train tables in the trailer?
    Its the floor to my boys club house (the other wood parts are the sides), That thing was a paint to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtytires View Post
    Sorry to tell you this bro but the washer and dryer will not fit in th e build. lol
    damn! lol

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    You are correct. It is too big.

OK for highway use, and gentle dirt roads, but out of line for heavy use off-road. Of course you may never do that, which doeant mean its untrue. Heavily loaded this trailer will drive your vehicle. And keep in mind that, in general, mil trailers will gross out before they bulk out, which will entice you to overload it.

Then again, I am the lone voice on this issue. They are great trailers, I wouldnt cut it.
    Yeah I think for now Im going to leave it as is. Even if I dont use all the space (which I wont for camping) it will still be nice to have if I need it. I dont plan on offroading it, just use it to get my camping stuff to base camps. It might see light use on fire roads but thats about the extent of it.
    *Supercharged
    *URD 7th Injector
    *Camburg UCA's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast