CB high SWR

Loober

Adventurer
I installed a CB and cant get the SWR down to what it should be, ive always ran a HAM, but lately needed a CB b/c not everyone has a HAM. I got a cheapy CB, with a ring connector antenna cable and a 3ft firestik. I tried grounding the antenna to a known grounding point in case that was the problem, no change. Is my antenna too short, should be higher than the cab? or is my connector the problem?

IMG_1964.jpg

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

Hedge

Adventurer
What are the numerical SWR ratios at chs. 1, 19 & 40?

Ideally it should be mounted above the cab and on the largest perpendicular ground plane possible...though I'm curious to see how low an SWR you are ultimately able to obtain with the advice of the more knowledgeable folks on here, as I'm looking at a similarly less than ideal mount for mine.

Loober

Adventurer
yea i know the best place for an antenna is on the roof, which is where i have my HAM antenna and it works great, i knew it wouldnt be the best place for an antenna where i put the CB, but i thought it would at least work, it doesnt work at all, my SWR was basically off the chart...

bat

Explorer
It looks like your ring isolaters may be wrong on my truck they are on each side of the mounting tab.

Expedition Leader
Not enough ground plane at that location; you need a 1/2-wave antenna, they are much more forgiving of ground plane. Try a Firestik Firefly or a Wilson Flex.

jjohnsonphx

Observer
X3 the base of the spring is shorted to your mounting tab. After you fix the feed coax, you will still have problems with the antenna radiating into the side of your Toyota. This will make your antenna radiate directionally, mostly to the side and back of the vehicle. For CB, a vehicle as a ground plane will never be perfict, but if the mounting tab was raised to the highest point of your rear protection bar, it would improve your SWR. Ideally the base of the antenna should be at or above any metal of the vehicle.

gary in ohio

Explorer
I hope you didnt check the SWR int he garage.. The antenna is to close to the vehicle and to much of it is below the body line. You need to get that up higher to get the SWR down and actually make it radiate. Even if you get the SWR down, most of your signal is going heading behind and to the left of you.

Loober

Adventurer
i put some isolaters between the tab and antenna and that helped a lot, got it down to about 2, i hear what you guys are saying, my main means of communication is a HAM, i got the CB for times when others dont have a HAM hoping it would be a cheap/simple job, its turning out to be more hassle then its worth considering a good cb setup is still crap, so i think ill just revert to a HAM only, thanks for the replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier