Frustrations of a 2nd Gen Ram Interior

deadbird

Observer
My kingdom for a cup holder.

Geno's cup holders are amazing, maybe put gauges where the factory (crap)cup holder is in the dash? i have the triple pillar set up and it does not bother me. Carry on.

ExpoMike

Well.... almost a year later and many of my problems are still there. I did go with a Geno's cup holder and it works well. I did put the CB mic clip onto the front of the factory cup holder face.

As for mounting the gauges... I worked on that idea this weekend. I built an aluminum plate that would mount where the factory cup holder went. I was thinking this would be how I would mount my 3 gauges. After making the plate and getting it held in with the 2 screws that held in the cup holder, I figured out there is not enough room for 3 gauges between the screws. Crap! That was a waste of time.

I REALLY want to put the gauges where the radio mounts, as it puts everything in the right place, in line factory gauges. Because I am not finding a better place, I am seriously thinking of using a Tuffy 12.5" wide stereo console in place of the center jump seat. I would then move the stereo into the console and put the gauges into the factory stereo location.

Revco

Adventurer
I know your pain. I had a '94 and a '97. Both got the Geno's cupholders, and both had Autometer Pillar Pods with Autometer Ultra-Lite Gauges. I guess after driving with that thick pillar for 4 years in the '97 I got used to the lack of view.

The '97 was a 5spd so it had Boost/EGT/Fuel Pressure gauges in a triple pillar pod, and the '94 was an Auto and it had a dual pillar pod with Boost/EGT, and I put a Trans Temp gauge in an aftermarket column pod, then later I put a Diff Temp Gauge and Air Pressure Gauge (for onboard air) under the dash.

Binksman

Observer
I used to have a 1996 Ram, and I know your pain :) Thank goodness my 2002 Ram has a better interior.

I installed a trans temp gauge and three switches on a plate that replaced the overhead plastic cubby. I pulled the overhead unit down, cut off the plastic rivets that held the cubby in place and epoxied the plate in place. More difficult than modding the overhead console was running additional wiring through the headliner...

I did build a sub box that replaced the center seat and utilized the factory console top. I mounted a CB on the front facing up. But if I were to replace any Dodge center seat or console again, I would find a SuperDuty console to install.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

I do actually have the 3 gauge A pilar piece but just cannot bring myself to use it. I test fitted it and hated it.

As for the overhead cubby, my overhead unit has the compass and outside temp computer. If that wasn't there, I would put switches there but I really like having those two items so don't want to mess with them. I did pull it down and looks like I could add a few switches to the bottom side of it. Not ideal but workable. I likely will use the original cup holder area for switches, since I can't fit the three gauges there.

I thought about making my own console setup as well. I'll have to check out a Ford one and see what those look like. From what I have read, the 98.5+ console on the floor are very hard to come by. I guess those were a rare option.

peneumbra

Explorer
If you're going to keep this truck for a long time, you might consider getting rid of the entire plastic dash and redoing it in aluminum or stainless or another material, and building it EXACTLY the way you want it to be. This would obviously be a major project, but I've seen people do it; put the gauges and switches where you want them, reroute the HVAC ducts, install a soda fountain, etc. etc...

rb70383

Observer
I run a bd x-monitor for my gauges. 3 in 1 and monuted on top of the dash. No vision obstruction either. Mine has egt, tranny, and boost. Dont like a pillar as its already huge and a blind spot. I have heard of guys making the 3rd gen above the rearview mirror gauge pod work in a 2nd gen but cant find any pics of it.

ExpoMike

Yeah, someone had posted the BD monitor above. I already have almost $400 in custom made gauges sitting in the box for the last year. Had I known about the BD setup prior that would be what I would have gone with but it's after the fact and to sell off these gauges, I would lose a fair amount money. I have looked at those 3rd gen rearview gauge pods but cannot see how that would work as the space between the mirror and headliner is almost none compared to the 3rd gen.

As for making a new dash, had this been the M1010 I was going to build, that was my plan. This Dodge has so many warning lights and other computer tied in stuff, it would not be an easy or cheap task, if possible.

ARlZONA

Observer
My current setup was necessitated by a broken cup holder and not being able to find one in any u pull it yards. Therefore it hit me one day that I could use the space for my gauges, there is plenty of space for two, not sure about getting three in there. The two buttons to the right of the gauges are for my power sliding window but could easily be a place for your CB and still clear the radio.
008.JPG

Regarding the Genos cup holder you really do not have to mound them, mine is just sitting in the space provided and I can remove it by just picking it up. It does not rattle and seem no worse for it just sitting there. Besides the install kit only comes with some velcro. The only problem of note is that my lid does not latch however, i have never adjusted the latch so it may be just that. The way it is not does not bother me.
010.JPG

ExpoMike

Great pics. Yeah, I did buy that same Geno's cup holder and did adjust my catch so it will latch. It has been working great, given the options out there.

Like you, I found you can put two gauges in that space but not really three due to the screw mounts to hold it in place.

This is what I did with my CB,

PICT6212.jpg

EDIT: Actually looking at your pic of the gauges, it is giving me the idea of making some tabs that I could use to screw a front plate to, that sit wider than the factory locations. The gauges I have are only 1" deep so I think I might be able to make a panel that could fit all of them. Guess I know what I am working on this weekend. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12023

When I used to run WVO I had 2 gauges mounted where the cup holders are. Then you can get the genos cup holders which is what I have. I have the a pillar gauges as well, never really noticed how big they are. However if I were to do it all over again I would do a custom console tha locks with a CB mount and cup holders. Lose the stock cu holders and make a blank panel for switches. Only problem with adding weight to our dashes is the f-ing rattles it makes over time!

rb70383

Observer
Have you seen the dash top gauge pod:
15002WM.jpg

Are the gauges computer controlled that year? I know my 01 is all can-bus style. Being your still 12V, I thought the gauges were still direct read. If so what about modding the cluster to fit the speedhuts but still keep the lights?

Been wanting the redo my dash as well. I do like the speedhuts.

Attachments

• 15002WM.jpg
    15002WM.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 153

ExpoMike

Have you seen the dash top gauge pod:
15002WM.jpg

Are the gauges computer controlled that year? I know my 01 is all can-bus style. Being your still 12V, I thought the gauges were still direct read. If so what about modding the cluster to fit the speedhuts but still keep the lights?

Been wanting the redo my dash as well. I do like the speedhuts.

I actually had this mount and test fitted it. Really did not like the fact they were at the front of the dash (against the windshield) and only held in with one screw. Overall a bad design if you're going to be bouncing around or driving washboards.

As for the stock stuff, I am sure it's computer controlled.

rb70383

Observer
I actually had this mount and test fitted it. Really did not like the fact they were at the front of the dash (against the windshield) and only held in with one screw. Overall a bad design if you're going to be bouncing around or driving washboards.

As for the stock stuff, I am sure it's computer controlled.

Well then. Thanks. Was thinking of using this one for extra gauges. Guess back to the board for me too. :(

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
Is there a reason you don't want to build a console? Mine didn't hack the dash, and it's completely removable. I just got back from a 2400 mile trip in baja, and it is by far the most practical thing I have done to my truck. Your fab skills are better than mine, I have no doubt you could build somthing nice. Is there a reason you don't like the custom console route?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior