Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new CRF250L enduro from Honda

From experience with the CRF250L's sibling, the CBR250R, the engine should be very smooth.

Mine is just getting broken in, at about 2000 miles (since August), but I have loved the powertrain so far.

It will also have the advantage of getting CBR250R hard parts, like the high compression pistons in the works (or the option to re-use a stock piston from a CBR1000RR), plus the option to tune the cam timing from the factory. A fuel mapping program should be along shortly as well, which could add a bit more power, albeit at the top of the rpm range.

Sure wish the CRF250L comes to the U.S. and in 2012. I think they stopped making the CRF230L a few years ago (2009?), and with the KLX250 and WR250R being a little too tall for my taste, I am hoping that Honda's new offering is in keeping with the lower saddle height of the CRF230L and Yamaha XT250. Keeping fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    1.It is going to be an entry-level enduro, it will be priced under the 350 XC, KTM has stated this. Sign of the economic times, there is a 125/200 Duke on the way as well.

2. It will come in a street legal format. Super easy to make street legal with aftermarket anyway. My KTM 505 is street legal, it didn't come that way.
    Talked to the local KTM dealer about this, it WILL NOT have a street legal version in the US or Canada this year, possibly in a later model year though, it does not meat emissions standards in NA yet. nor does it meet the safety standards. we can still hope though.

oh yeah, and you should see it on in your local KTM shop by fall this year

haven is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader

Motorcycle.com has a page listing the 2012 CRF250L specs (100+ mpg), plus a bunch of Honda publicity photos. No announcement has been made about when (or even if) the CRF250L will come to USA.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/04/1...pecs-released/

Quote Originally Posted by Cody1771 View Post
    Talked to the local KTM dealer about this, it WILL NOT have a street legal version in the US or Canada this year, possibly in a later model year though, it does not meat emissions standards in NA yet. nor does it meet the safety standards. we can still hope though.
    Still pretty easy to make it street legal...at least in Arizona. All it is, is paper work, AZ doesn't even do inspections anymore, nor do they do emissions for motorcycles in my county. Made my Gas Gas 2-Stroke 300 street legal with ease...actually the dealer did it when I bought it.

544846_10150716287869630_766319629_9271570_243809326_n.jpg

I put a Baja Designs street legal kit on my 2006 CRF250x and it has been a great bike. Glad to see Honda getting back into the "L" game and hope it hits the US market sooner rather than later.

I just traded up to a Husqvarna TE511. It weighs 4lbs more than my Honda (with the kit), but has a slightly reduced range (which is abismal for all of this class of "enduro"). Liquid cooled, fuel-injected, BMW G450X frame/swing-arm technology. Got a chance to get her all dirty two weeks ago. It's a very versatile machine, from being more than decent on the trail to handling 70mph on pavement without being a buzz monster.

I'm sure the aftermarket will pick up the slack with a decent auxiliary tank. Another gripe I have with these machines is the inability to carry overnight gear in an efficient fashion. But it is amazing how far these machines have come in the past 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
    Another gripe I have with these machines is the inability to carry overnight gear in an efficient fashion.

Shoot brotha...the answer is a Giant Loop bag....mine has been all over Baja and AZ. I have camped for 2 weeks straight with it...which can turn into an endless journey, if you really wanted it to, you have to get fuel along the way, most fuel stops have supplies...

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Shoot brotha...the answer is a Giant Loop bag....
    They've got a Coyote configuration for the TE511, just ordered one. I've got to come up with a little extra heat shield for the pipe, however. I would still prefer they build versions of these bikes with a beefier rear subframe. It would also help for those emergency two-up situations.

ZipTy Racing also has a Safari 3 gallon aux.tank that will work on the TE511 (orignally built for the BMW G450X), but they haven't given me the price yet. They have to modify the seat slightly, but that will push the range to about 200 miles. I'm also going to do the same for our Honda 250's (already have Baja kits) so we can enjoy more of what you're already doing!

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
    They've got a Coyote configuration for the TE511, just ordered one. I've got to come up with a little extra heat shield for the pipe, however. I would still prefer they build versions of these bikes with a beefier rear subframe. It would also help for those emergency two-up situations.

ZipTy Racing also has a Safari 3 gallon aux.tank that will work on the TE511 (orignally built for the BMW G450X), but they haven't given me the price yet. They have to modify the seat slightly, but that will push the range to about 200 miles. I'm also going to do the same for our Honda 250's (already have Baja kits) so we can enjoy more of what you're already doing!

Speed Brain made a under the seat larger tank for the Bimmer 450....may not work for your needs though.

http://shop.speedbrain.de/

Yeah, the no side panel design is just not right. I see a lot of manufactures going back to the side panel. I didn't use a heat shield on my old KTM 505, was
    able to cinch the compression straps tight enough to keep the bottom of the bag from touching the muffler.

haven is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader
    Honda just announced that the CRF250L dual sport will be sold in USA. Price: $4500.
    Dealers should start receiving the bikes in July.

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/crf250l.aspx

250 cc liquid cooled single cylinder, fuel injection, 23 hp
    37mm inverted forks, 8.7 inches of travel
    Pro-Link rear shock, 9.4 inches of travel
    disc brakes front and rear
    steel cradle chassis
    320 lb curb weight

Mpg to be determined. Honda claims 100+ mpg for this model in Thailand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast