Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Trailer build

I'm interested to see what you have planned for the tongue. As it is it gives me the heebbie-jeebbies, but I understand that it's a work in progress.

The point where the tongue meets that first cross tube is a hinge point that few seem to understand. Running a continuous tube past that point, and preferably as Bob suggested, under the rest of the frame is the much preferred tongue construction method. It is frequently not done on trailers of this size built by folks on these off road oriented forums and doesn't seem to be too much of an issue, but note that even the 1/4t M101's are built with the tongue under the frame so those Engineers felt it was worth something.
    I used to swerve around my hallucinations, now I drive right through them.

Progress...looking good system f.

'm interested to see what you have planned for the tongue. As it is it gives me the heebbie-jeebbies, but I understand that it's a work in progress.
    Don't worry, this isn't my first rodeo.

And nope, not done bracing yet. When I am done I will get pictures of what reinforcements I did to the frame. There is a very specific reason I did not go with a center support from hitch to hitch. (front to rear)

System-f,

Curious as to what your specific reasons are for not going with a center support from hitch to hitch; as I am currently debating this very thing. Thanks!

Curious as to what your specific reasons are for not going with a center support from hitch to hitch; as I am currently debating this very thing. Thanks!
    I might flush mount some tanks under the frame and it provides a cleaner area to work with. The more and more I look at tanks it seems as though it might be easier to just put it in the trailer and if I do then I will just go with a center brace within the frame all the way down with some very thick plate gussets.

In honesty guys there really is not a need to run stem to stern with 2.5 box. Tremendous overkill. As long as it gets near the 1/3 area of the box you are fine, Most car trailer manufactureres do that.

I think System f stated he was plating the botton of the trailer. If so it will be strong enough with the steel he is adding if not jointing at the front wall. I will say the two added struts running from the front tube to the tongue add very little benefit to the strength of the trailer. . You will need to protect the tanks I think, but it depends on the heigth of the lower trailer. I just did mine with out skids due to the torflex axle protecting them and that they are in the frame 24 inches up.

Keeping a keen eye on your suspension set up. I like this idea, its got me thinking for a future mod for a leaf sprung trailer . But your drawbar seems at the present to to be a bit on the flimsy side,would really thought the center drawbar should extend further through chassis , as a single piece, with the braces comming off it

The plan is to run center supports between each horizontal support behind the tongue all the way back and then gusset the intersections with 5/8" plate. Right now there is too much 'pull' on the front tube with not enough behind it. As for the under-belly tank, if I do end up putting it down here it will get a 3/16" plate skid. This trailer will be pulled in the rocks and like the vehicle pulling it the trailer's under-belly will have to stand some pointy rocks.

Question- how have you located the axle to swinging arm, apart from the U bolts and plates, and how are you planing to limit the max movement of the axle, also the swing arm to the fixed shackle, in the UK so different terms for items, but I think you will get my drift. Also can you give detials of the air bellows/bags you are using. Really interested in this type of setup using a beam axle as a retro fit from leaf springs.
    Last edited by EWS; 11-20-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast