Another Trailer build

bob

Adventurer
As both ntqd and I have stated the tongue is a very weak setup currently. I do not know what your plan is to fix it, but if you go to the first post on Skersfan's build (me) you will see what we are saying. At least somewhat. I did mine under the box for the first time in 25 years. Still do no know if I like it. I normally cut and fit into the box. I think it is stronger, but this is much easier.

Not telling you how to build your trailer, but if there are not significant changes it will break at the front. The triangulation of the frame is stronger than plating it and is way less weight.

I would just hate to see you invest all the time and money and get stuck out on a trail somewhere. Not being a wise ***, just trying to help.

So you are both saying there is nothing that could not be done to my current design to make it work?

Let me re-phrase, what would you do?

Last edited:

JeepDork

Adventurer
Thanks for the understanding, JeepDork, I didn't mean to come off as an ***, but I could see how it could be taken that way.

No worries. If your interested here is a deal about tongue strength that I found on here. I know it is for Australian users, but it gives at least a guide to go for. Why it would matter as to where the guide is from is beyond me. A trailer that breaks there would break here. I hope this helps. In your defense I know you are not done with this trailer and maybe the tongue.

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear84.htm

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
They haven't said that at all, re-read their posts. Your frame may be salvageable by running the tongue under the frame. See the picture Bob mentioned in his last post.

Ourayshuttle0041-1.jpg

They haven't said that at all, re-read their posts. Your frame may be salvageable by running the tongue under the frame. See the picture Bob mentioned in his last post.

Edited posted so that it can be better understood. I am not running the tongue under the frame, I think that can be avoided.

Thanks, Jeepdork. Looks like I might need to change the material I am using in the tongue.

I am not running the tongue under the frame, I think that can be avoided.

I take this back, I think I just came up with a solution that will meet the requirements everyone is asking utilising the materials I already have. It won't be as pretty as I want and will actually solve another problem of the trailer being taller than truck. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the understanding, JeepDork, I didn't mean to come off as an ***, but I could see how it could be taken that way.

No worries. If your interested here is a deal about tongue strength that I found on here. I know it is for Australian users, but it gives at least a guide to go for. Why it would matter as to where the guide is from is beyond me. A trailer that breaks there would break here. I hope this helps. In your defense I know you are not done with this trailer and maybe the tongue.

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear84.htm

Thanks for posting this very useful link...it has put my mind at ease with my design

So what I am going to do is cut the current tongue shorter by a foot or two, then take some of that same type of tube but a much longer piece run it under the current tongue back to the second cross member and put the receiver on it. The receiver will be tied into both the top and bottom tube section at the front of the tongue and there will still be a cross member behind the current tongue. This will give me more than enough steel to meet the mathematical requirements of Jeepdork's link, give me a 2" drop that I need to match the ride height of my primary tow rig and give me a single piece of metal all the way to the second cross member. It won't be the prettiest thing in the world but I think everyone will agree it will be more than adequate. Let me know what you think.

JeepDork

Adventurer
Not sure if this will help or not it's just my idea's and why I did things this way. I figured off road the tongue is going to have many more forces on it than it would on pavement. I think the side load on the tongue can increase many times over when you are towing a trailer over rocks, ruts, or anything that wants to stop one wheel at a time. I have larger tires than normal on my trailer so I think these forces will be even greater. I first wanted to carry my spare tire on the tongue. The tongue weight was very high because of this and it isn't even finished or loaded. I know that one important things is to attach the tongue to the sides of the frame if at all possible. I wanted a 37" tire on my tongue recessed down 4" and still wanted to attach the tongue to the frame sides. I used .120 wall 2X3 tube for the frame and .188 wall 2X3 for the tongue sides. My tongue is long because of the original tire idea. I cut out a notch in the front of the frame tube 1.5" to recess the tongue. This is to make the side load on the tongue stronger by not just relying on the welds on the bottom of the front frame tube. Since I cut out the front tube and made it a smaller tube by notching it. I used a doubler plate 2x3x12" on the front and back of the original 2x3 tube where the tongue goes through the front of the frame. On the lower plate that covers the bottom of my side boxes I also used a plate that connects to the tongue as well as the bottom of the box. I think that the tongue is not only needs to be the straightest piece but also the strongest (straightest I mean in relation to tire x tire x hitch triangle). The rest can be a mess and it doesn't really matter. As long as the axle is true to the tongue and straight and strong enough to handle everything your good. The box you put on it can any messed up out of whack contraption you can think of.
15.jpg

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 77
I saw your thread, Jeepdork, and I do think that your trailer is an awesome overkill (meant in a good way) but for me to do that would require a complete redesign of my entire frame and the tie-ins from the frame to the tongue would be much harder because the materials would be different size. One nice thing about having a straight tongue is that I can turn a bit more tightly. I hope to start tonight.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
That looks a lot stonger... but I don't know much.
Very interesting suspension, I'd like to see how it looks when one wheel is raised up.
Maybe when you have time, jack one side of the trailer up a few feet and put some blocks under the wheel and let the jack down, also load some weight on the the trailer.

JeepDork

Adventurer
I think you made a wise choice to add that additional tube. I think the peace of mind alone will be well worth it. You can fix just about any problem on your trailer in the field, but rebuilding the tongue has to be one of the toughest.

bob

Adventurer
I think you are on the safe side no F. Hated to be the bearer of bad news but alot better now than out on the trail. It might have held `1 hour it might have went a couple of months or may never have broken. But the chances of it breaking now are minimal.

Good Luck.

bob

Adventurer
I think you are on the safe side now F. Hated to be the bearer of bad news but alot better now than out on the trail. It might have held `1 hour it might have went a couple of months or may never have broken. But the chances of it breaking now are minimal.

Good Luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles