Another Trailer build

I started the frame for my trailer this weekend. The trailer will be 6 1/2 ft by 5 ft wide with 3 feet sections 6" deep in the sides 2 feet back for wheel wells. The plan is to have a 20gallon water tank, some kind of electrical system, separate air system (CO2 powered), air bags and shocks for the suspension, the ability to use any of the tires my vehicle does, the ability to carry my offroad tires, and the ability to hold stuff but not weight too much.

The frame is built of 2" x 2" square tube 11gauge (1/8") thick. Though the main frame is complete I have not added all of my braces on the tongue and down the center of the trailer.

Here are some pictures.

This weld looks like a booger but it is not. I am doing a triple width weave with a 7018 rod on the top and bottom welds where the tubes meet.

DSCF0014-small.jpg

My chop saw died during the construction so some of my corners came out less than perfect. Here I am having to clean up a mess with some 1/4" thick sheet steel.

DSCF0015-small.jpg

Look at that gap, nasty. We will get it fixed up though.

DSCF0016-small.jpg

Here I have cut off the excess.

DSCF0017-small.jpg

and here is the same messed up corner, almost done.

DSCF0018-small.jpg

The main frame without bracing on the tongue and center completed.

DSCF0020-small.jpg

Mock-up with the offroad tires. Obviously the trailer is sitting way below where it normally would.

DSCF0022-small.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to get the uprights on the box cut and installed.

TacoDell

Adventurer
is it just the angle of the shot taken ?
or maybe muh eyes are playin' tricks wit' me
wow.gif

trailerframe1.jpg

trailerframe2.jpg

seems an odd/wasteful method of filling that corner in...
^ JMO... 'cause I'm money poor

There was a twist in the frame which has now been fixed. The front left as you face the trailer was 1" taller than the other sides. Everything is withing 1/16" of an inch now. Thanks for the arrows, they gave a me a clue as to where to start measuring.

seems an odd/wasteful method of filling that corner in...

I guess I don't understand this. The scrap will be used for something else...it is steel and EASILY recycled. When I bought that circle it was at a scrap price of $.35 a lb and cost a buck or two.

bob

Adventurer
When you brace the tongue, go under the tongue and back behind the front tube. Your design with out support is very weak, the tongue should always be triangulated to main tubes of the frame, In other words, do not make triangles from tongue to front tube.

Good work on getting the fram back correct. Always remember that welding one side will affect the other side, tack and move around the trailer until you feel it is stable.

Looking forward to your progress.

The other trailers I have built had a main tube from front hitch all the way to rear receiver. This tube provided me a non-warped very straight spine to build everything off of. Although my current design is easy to construct in small quarters it was hard to align properly and was built on my severely warped shop floor. I didn't really know the floor was warped until I saw how the frame came out...lesson learned.

As for the bracing on the tongue the plan is to have triangles off the front to the tongue tube, but then there will be center tubes that start behind the tongue tube and continue to the rear receiver with 1/4" plating on the bottom to tie everything together between welds and horizontal supports. It isn't going anywhere. I really appreciate the advice.

Today I finished up four of the uprights and the top portion the lid will rest on.

bob

Adventurer
Sounds like it will make it very heavy, but that has advantages with center of gravity. Have fun.

Calculated frame weight is 788 but of course not all of the will go into the trailer so it will be a hundred lbs or less than that.

bob

Adventurer
700 pound 8 foot frame. Well I have always said I over build, but you sir have left me in the dust. Have fun.

'm interested to see what you have planned for the tongue. As it is it gives me the heebbie-jeebbies, but I understand that it's a work in progress.

Don't worry, this isn't my first rodeo.

100_2061-small.jpg

100_2062-small.jpg

100_2063-small.jpg

100_2065-small.jpg

100_2067-small.jpg

And nope, not done bracing yet. When I am done I will get pictures of what reinforcements I did to the frame. There is a very specific reason I did not go with a center support from hitch to hitch. (front to rear)

Intuit

Observer
System-f,

Curious as to what your specific reasons are for not going with a center support from hitch to hitch; as I am currently debating this very thing. Thanks!

Curious as to what your specific reasons are for not going with a center support from hitch to hitch; as I am currently debating this very thing. Thanks!

I might flush mount some tanks under the frame and it provides a cleaner area to work with. The more and more I look at tanks it seems as though it might be easier to just put it in the trailer and if I do then I will just go with a center brace within the frame all the way down with some very thick plate gussets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne