Another Trailer build

bob

Adventurer
In honesty guys there really is not a need to run stem to stern with 2.5 box. Tremendous overkill. As long as it gets near the 1/3 area of the box you are fine, Most car trailer manufactureres do that.

I think System f stated he was plating the botton of the trailer. If so it will be strong enough with the steel he is adding if not jointing at the front wall. I will say the two added struts running from the front tube to the tongue add very little benefit to the strength of the trailer. . You will need to protect the tanks I think, but it depends on the heigth of the lower trailer. I just did mine with out skids due to the torflex axle protecting them and that they are in the frame 24 inches up.

EWS

Observer
Keeping a keen eye on your suspension set up. I like this idea, its got me thinking for a future mod for a leaf sprung trailer . But your drawbar seems at the present to to be a bit on the flimsy side,would really thought the center drawbar should extend further through chassis , as a single piece, with the braces comming off it

The plan is to run center supports between each horizontal support behind the tongue all the way back and then gusset the intersections with 5/8" plate. Right now there is too much 'pull' on the front tube with not enough behind it. As for the under-belly tank, if I do end up putting it down here it will get a 3/16" plate skid. This trailer will be pulled in the rocks and like the vehicle pulling it the trailer's under-belly will have to stand some pointy rocks.

EWS

Observer
Question- how have you located the axle to swinging arm, apart from the U bolts and plates, and how are you planing to limit the max movement of the axle, also the swing arm to the fixed shackle, in the UK so different terms for items, but I think you will get my drift. Also can you give detials of the air bellows/bags you are using. Really interested in this type of setup using a beam axle as a retro fit from leaf springs.

Last edited:

bob

Adventurer
Are they air bags or timbren(spelling). I assume there is much more to this suspension set up. Alot of twist/torque on the front attachment poinst.

bob

Adventurer
Are they air bags or timbren(spelling). I assume there is much more to this suspension set up. Alot of twist/torque on the front attachment points.

They are airbags (I had to look up timbren, but no these are airbags designed to be the only weight support) and the twist on the front mounts had been discussed. Since a trailer articulates mainly on the hitch suspension flex between left and right isn't that important especially since my airbags will be isolated from one another with 1 way valves. When one side is compressed air will not be allowed to escape unless the electric release solenoid is activated .

The fallacy with the 1 way valves is that if one side droops then that side would be allowed to suck air into the bag, but since each bag is under pretty high pressure anyways that chances of the pressure becoming less than atmospheric and sucking in air are very slim.

Last edited:
The track bar is not yet installed and it looks like I might have to get some wheel spacers for my 33x12.5 tires :( The tires installed are 34x10.5.

DSCF0024-small.jpg

DSCF0025-small.jpg

DSCF0026-small.jpg

DSCF0027-small.jpg

DSCF0028-small.jpg

JeepDork

Adventurer
different ??

I am very curious about this build. The design is not like anything I would do for many different reasons. The tongue and the suspension are very minimal to say the least. I would think that you need to do A LOT more than you are to make this thing really road worthy or trail worthy. Now before you get pissed at me let me tell you I am just throwing in my $.02. You said this isn't your first rodeo. It is mine and I'm the dumb@ss with the way too heavy trailer too. I am curious to see how this turns out. You could be right on and I just need some schooling on how to not overbuild because it just costs more and weighs to much. Keep up with the pictures and the updates. Good luck with this build and thanks for sharing.:beer:

Today I started bracing the trailer frame, setting up the rear and building the tailgate (not pictured). I had to pull the front road tires off the caR50 to make sure they would fit the trailer and as of now the don't. Some adjustments will need to be made to the top of the airbag mount. I could probably get away with it the way it is with the trackbar setup properly, but I want more room.

100_2086-small.jpg

100_2087-small.jpg

100_2088-small.jpg

100_2089-small.jpg

100_2090-small.jpg

100_2091-small.jpg

100_2092-small.jpg

Thanks for the understanding, JeepDork, I didn't mean to come off as an ***, but I could see how it could be taken that way.

I did some work over the holidays, but no pictures:

-fixed some air leaks in the bag fittings, has been holding pressure for several days now.

-started skinning my wheel wells

-Trimmed the upper airbag mounts, all tires fit with no rubbing at all

I am still waiting on two link bushings for the track bar. I do not want to do much more frame work until the track bar is installed. I only have 3 more major pieces of steel to purchase.

Here are my costs to date. I have not included the cost of tires or wheels which is why the price is so low. There are other odds and ends I have yet to include as well. I expect to be at $2,500 when it is all said and done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles