removing spray paint & decal glue ?

nakota

Observer
Is there a tried and true safe way to remove spray paint without ruining the vehicle paint? (I must add that the paint on the hatch in question was just repainted by a cheap place, so it's not the factory clear coat/paint job).

*head-desk head-desk head-desk*

Oh!! I almost forgots! Also, the paint shop put the Chevrolet decal on slanted w/gobs of glue, so I used fishing line and peeled the thing off. But it left glue behind....I bought some "sticker/decal" adhesive remover from an auto parts store, but still no luck w/getting all of it off. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

keezer37

Explorer
Oh!! I almost forgots! Also, the paint shop put the Chevrolet decal on slanted w/gobs of glue, so I used fishing line and peeled the thing off. But it left glue behind....I bought some "sticker/decal" adhesive remover from an auto parts store, but still no luck w/getting all of it off. Anyone have any ideas?

WD-40 and a little patience always worked on my sticker goos. Soak a paper towel. Rub gently. Repeat.

Louisd75

Adventurer
Graffiti remover is worth a shot on the spray paint. You can find it at any big box hardware store. Someone spray painted my VW bus not long after getting a $400 Earl Scheib sale special. I found out about it two months later (I was out of the country). The remover did a decent job and didn't damage the paint, though it did also take all the color off of some decals on one of my windows.

4xdog

Explorer
This oughta be easy. The clearcoat on the car will almost certainly be hardened. The spray paint not. Start with the gentler solvents and see if one will dissolved the paint -- I'd start with diesel fuel and maybe move to mineral spirits then gasoline or turpentine.

A little rubbing compound should work too, and barely cut the paint suurface if done gently.

I'd try the same on the adhesive, with the addition of a polar solvent like isopropyl alcohol if the nonpolar mineral spirits doesn't work.

There are some decent adhesive removers -- 3M makes on based on d-limonene, a good gentle solvent and the main part of "citrus" cleaners. There are also some good tar removers with a mix of gentle widely effective solvents.

As long as the intended color on the car wasn't applied with rattle can spray paint, this is likely to end well.

Don

nakota

Observer
Thanks guys!!

Graffiti remover is worth a shot on the spray paint. You can find it at any big box hardware store. Someone spray painted my VW bus not long after getting a $400 Earl Scheib sale special. I found out about it two months later (I was out of the country). The remover did a decent job and didn't damage the paint, though it did also take all the color off of some decals on one of my windows.
Oh man that sucks!! Glad you were able to get the spray paint off, I would be so mad if someone tagged my car! This was actually my own doing *hangs head in shame*

This oughta be easy. The clearcoat on the car will almost certainly be hardened. The spray paint not. Start with the gentler solvents and see if one will dissolved the paint -- I'd start with diesel fuel and maybe move to mineral spirits then gasoline or turpentine.

A little rubbing compound should work too, and barely cut the paint suurface if done gently.

I'd try the same on the adhesive, with the addition of a polar solvent like isopropyl alcohol if the nonpolar mineral spirits doesn't work.

There are some decent adhesive removers -- 3M makes on based on d-limonene, a good gentle solvent and the main part of "citrus" cleaners. There are also some good tar removers with a mix of gentle widely effective solvents.

As long as the intended color on the car wasn't applied with rattle can spray paint, this is likely to end well.

Don
Thanks! I got the truck back on friday, and they said they baked it, so I'm assuming the clear coat is totally hardened, but I sprayed it yesterday, so it's dry & i did like 5 light coats :(. I think I'm just going to leave the spray paint, b/c I'm afraid I'll do more damage trying to get it off.

Oh, and I looked at the adhesive remover I used, it's Turtle Wax Label and Sticker Remover. I'll go to Home Depot and see if they have any Goof Off or the 3M stuff. (lol, is it really called goof off?)

Here's a pic of the damage - it doesn't look that bad in the pic, but there's tons of over spray and the top coat peeled off with the stencil on a couple of areas so it's got a 3D quality to it. The glue is there too in the right hand corner.

res061.jpg

nakota

Observer
Ok, went to the De Pot :sombrero: and got the Goof Off...that stuff is not for cheap (*cough* macco *cough) paint jobs!! It stripped the top coat and took off some paint with the glue as there's a few chips. drats. It's ok though, I don't see this paint job lasting, I can scratch it with my finger nail down to the aluminum. Lesson learned!

86cj

Explorer
Clay bar does a great job on overspray, do a small section and use lots of lube that comes in the clay bar kit, then some wax or polish or both.

The key to removing glue is change your rag alot, no matter what solvent you cut it with.

Casper

Adventurer
Had a truck stollen many years ago, when I got it back it was spray painted primer grey. Tried everything to get the paint off. In the end I used 6 cans of "Easy off Oven Cleaner" and it worked like a charm. Didn't hurt the paint, just sprayed it on, let it sit for roughly 10 minutes, wash off with a hose. That easy.

Good luck,
JSP

corax

Explorer
Had a truck stollen many years ago, when I got it back it was spray painted primer grey. Tried everything to get the paint off. In the end I used 6 cans of "Easy off Oven Cleaner" and it worked like a charm. Didn't hurt the paint, just sprayed it on, let it sit for roughly 10 minutes, wash off with a hose. That easy.

Good luck,
JSP

x2 - works great on adhesive residue also, but no one wants to believe that it doesn't harm the paint when I mention this

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner. I've had it get lots of stuff off with no paint damage. It works especially well to loosen up things stuck on with double-sided tapes. It comes in a spray can (handy) or in quart cans (cheaper). Available from most auto supply stores.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles