Need to replace my sleeping bag

FettsWay

Adventurer
I have a Eureka extra long sleeping bag that I want to replace, and shelve this one for an extra or loaner.

It's a good bag, but just not for me. I am 6'2 and 250 Ibs, so I need something bigger and not mummy. Problem is, I am a boater (kayak/canoe) and like to camp on the trips, so I need it to pack small, but provide warmth. So I assume I need to go with down as it packs down more?

Looking for recommendations from guys my size who have rectangle bags they feel comfortable in and pack small, or small enough to manage the stow on a kayak/canoe. Would also like the bag to still have a hood for holding in the warmth.

I also have fleece liners to give me that flexibility of a about 8 to 10 degrees extra warmth.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Western Mountaineering. I own several of their bags (and too many former brands to count/remember from over the years) including a Sequoia MF model I purchased about 18-months ago after tiring of the confines of my mummy versions for vehicular based camping. I have over 30-nights in it to date and I'd buy it again without question. A very versatile bag.

There are cheaper bags but you'd be hard pressed to find a better bag than a Western Mountaineering...and still USA made too.

http://www.westernmountaineering.co...eping Bags&cat=Microfiber Series&ContentId=39

No affiliation.

Dan

liftedlimo

Adventurer
Wiggys bags are the best, no frills, no BS bags. Made in the USA. The military uses his stuff. If you call you usually talk to Wiggy himself. Check them out

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
A second for Western Mountaineering. In the long run it will be the least expensive bag you'll ever buy, because it will far outlast cheaper bags. Same goes for Feathered Friends (Wiggy's are also excellent).

I've always carried down sleeping bags for sea kayaking. There's absolutely no problem as long as you store it in a good dry bag.

You don't state a budget, so I'll echo the recommendation for Western Mountaineering. Expensive, but absolutely the best bags around.

You don't state a required temperature rating, but the Bristlecone MF by Western Mountaineering is very roomy and very warm.

STREGA

Explorer
I have a couple of Wiggys that have worked out very well so far, bought about a year and a half ago and have 50+ nights use. Well made, easy to clean, made in the USA if thats important to you and they offered a local/walk-in discount of 40% IIRC when I bought mine. Have a 30 and 0 degree rectangle style bags that we zip up to make a double bag or if on my own I just use the 0 degree alone.

FettsWay

Adventurer
The Western Mountaineering bags do look nice, but are a bit more than I want to spend, but I will continue to research and think about them as an option.

Am I right in assuming that down will pack down smaller than other types?

It's just hard to find bags that fit comfortably for guys my size, I can't stand to have my arms and hips feeling like they are locked down in the bag.

theksmith

Explorer
On the less expensive end, i like my north face goliath long. However i am wanting to upgrade to a western mountaineering or similar level of bag next year.

shogun

Adventurer
+1 on Wiggys.

I wouldnt want down in a potentially wet environment. Wiggys work when wet, a coworker is alive today because he had a wiggys after a lake crash in AK.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Mont Bell Ultralight SPIRAL DOWN HUGGER

I had a similar dilemma. I wanted a bag that had the extra room, but the warmth of a down mummy.

These are unique bags in that they stretch when you need them too, and then they'll shrink down to preserve warmth when you need it. I don't know if you need the 0 degree, but that's the one I use. It's super warm. I've even found that when it's 35-40 degrees, I unzip the bag most of the way...it's that warm. It's also really light and packs down really small.

I know you said you didn't want a mummy style, but this one will give you the extra room when you want it without the added bulk and weight.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I haven't logged nearly as many sea kayak miles as Jonathan, but on my kayak trips at home in Alaska and all along the coast of Baja, I had with me a trusty down bag. It's like anything else. You protect your important pieces of kit properly with good dry bags and good judgement.

If you don't want to got the down route and want a bag with a bit more room, look into Mountain Hardwear's Extra Lamina bags. I generally dislike the sleep quality of synthetic bags, but their Lamina bags have a nice feel to them.

That said, my Marmot Aguille 750 Down DryLoft bag is on year 16 and looks good as new. Good bags are an investment. My Western Mountaineering bag is about the same age and looks even better.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Am I right in assuming that down will pack down smaller than other types?

Yes, absolutely. Every few years a new synthetic will come out with all sorts of claims, all relating to how similar to down it is in loft, durability, and compressibility. Nothing has yet touched down for those qualities, and with the availability of super high-quality European down, the bar keeps moving.

I haven't logged nearly as many sea kayak miles as Jonathan . . .

Hmm, I'm not at all sure that's true!

Moody

Needs to get out more
Western Mountaineering all the way. Other than a 12 year old Marmot Col which is hardly used anymore, I use all WM bags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior