CUCV Overland

Zimnij Volk

Observer
Hello again everyone.

Boy what places we'll end up with the economy the way it is. I'm currently in Wisconsin now, and sadly, the Suburban probably won't be making it over here. I'm in a bit of a rut with money due to the loss of my job and it might be having to go very soon.

However, that still won't stop me and my plans of an Expo vehicle. (I need a vehicle for here anyway.) And since Sparta base is so close, and there are CUCVs available nearly every week, I can't resist. I've always wanted an M1008 or M1028. Recently I've been looking at the M1009 (Blazer) and really liking what I see. Has anyone here made an overlanding vehicle from an M1009? And if you have, have you put a pop-up camper on it?

lstzephyr

wanderer
Anything that fits a blazer would fit that m1009. I saw a four wheel camper for a blazer for sale not long ago for around 1000. I really wanted it as it would make a great small camping truck.

etech

Observer
I too have been looking for one of the four wheel pop top campers.
Feel free to check out my thread. I'm currently building a CUCV M-1009 for a off road chase truck and camping vehicle. They are good trucks if you address a couple problem areas,

my thread is located at,
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...09-Baja-Chase-pit-support-and-Camping-Project.

good luck on your project. hope you find a good one to start with. if you want the best of all categories maybe look into a M-1010 ambulance there is one on Ebay right now thats very nice, for about 3500 bucks.

racer

Just wanted to add I'm in Wisconsin as well and looked into the CUCV, you currently cannot get it registered with the SF97 title if you get it from Sparta.

Zimnij Volk

Observer
racer: Really? Aw, man... It there anyway to get it registered in this state?

etech: I've actually been following your build. I definitely like a lot of what you've done. I saw an M1010 as well and thought about it. I even saw one the other day that was turned into a trailer. Looked nice, but it seems like it would be heavier than what I'd want.

Istzephyr: I hoped so, but I figured it would be a good thing to ask. I have to say though, I'm not real fond of the "aluminum house siding" look. Doesn't look that strong either, like any branches could easily make dents. Although with a price like that I'd be tempted...

Chief_919

Observer
Yep, Wisconsin is being very anal about former military vehicles right now, and refusing to register them for street use.

If you get one, you will have to register it in another state.

I am building an M1028 up now.

Zimnij Volk

Observer
I know I wrote it down somewhere, but I seem to have misplaced it...

What were the differences in the 1008 and 1028 again?

MakersTeleMark

Adventurer
Overload springs in the rear and a posi in the D60 up front. Otherwise, same truck.

Like I posted in the other forum where you asked this question, a 1008 or 1028 would be much easier and stronger platform to build an overland rig with a popup.

Zimnij Volk

Observer
Thanks again for the reply. The only reason I was thinking a Blazer model was for the overall length of the vehicle (Shorter), and that I could have a place for both the wife and daughter without having to cram a car seat in between us. I really would like an M1028, but I need something with a little more room for now. And thanks to all for clearing that up!

Outback

Explorer
I think the M1028 had beefier axles as it was a radio/shelter carrier.

Same axles. Dana 60 king pin front and Corporate 14 bolt rear. The only diffrences you will find on the CUCVs are NP205 vs NP208 and a Limited slip front diff. The M1031 could be equipped with the stronger NP205 and possibly with the front limited slip.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks- we have a 2500 4x4 '00 'burb w/ 38k miles, and I considered moving the axles to it, and making yet another HD wheeling/Exp rig, but the wife loves it as is- leveled with rear airbags and 285s. If we hadn't already gone that route, would have seriously entertained some sort of trade, as you have the Holly Grail 'burb.
Lastly, the other reason for posting the M1028 was for the factory specs which you had inquired earlier. Cheers!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior