'03 Tacoma Build

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Beasley%20Knob%205_zpsehgwc151.jpg

Nice hidden winch :elkgrin:

01tundra

Explorer
Nice!

I couldn't get my winch that high in the bumper without it hitting the metal portion, what kind of winch do you have?

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
I have an XRC 9500 w synthetic. I uses a Jeep winch plate and made it fit. I clocked the clutch end so the lever would protrude outside of the bumper for easy operation. The whole Taco build thread is here: http://northeastoverland.forumotion.com/t502-01-tacoma-dc
If you're not already signed up, it's free and easy. Just need a screen name and password ;)

I operated the winch from my seat with a nice control panel built by 12voltGuy:

01tundra

Explorer
OK, I think I've now got almost all the different driving terrains checked off the list :sombrero:

Corolla, NC this past week, sand is a strange animal. I tried it at 15 psig and 38 psig tire pressure, they both worked, but the lower was definitely better. My transmission was running fairly warm if we tried running at a sustained speed of 20 MPH for any length of time when no people were present, so I mostly ran in 4HI and Low on the transmission with the rear locker locked. The skinny tires did not seem to hold us back any like I had originally feared. Good times.

Beach%20Driving_zpsvuilutck.jpg

jim65wagon

Nice vacation! I haven't been to Corolla in a few years, fun place. we always ran 15 psi without any issues with either 255s or 285s on the Tundra

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I was just there in March, I dropped the 255's on the Tundra down to 15 psi. Such a nice place, and in March, deserted.

Ngneer

Observer
What plate did u use for this mount? Wanting to copy this and the rear bumper, this is a nice build. Any updates? Anything u would change on either end? Thanks

01tundra

Explorer
It is a Smittybilt 2801 winch plate that I bought on Amazon and cut down. It doesn't appear that they're available anymore but I imagine there's a new model number for the same plate.

No real updates and nothing that I would really change.

01tundra

Explorer
So I'm considering upgrading to a new Tundra soon.

My 2.5 Icons have been on the truck for about 90k miles, so according to Icon they are due to be rebuilt based on mileage, even though they seem fine. They've been on one dirt trail, otherwise all road miles.

I paid $918 (on sale) for them in Dec. of 2011 and they appear to now retail for around $1,200.

It looks like it would cost $125 per coilover to have Icon rebuild them, so I would say $350ish with shipping two ways.

What do you guys think would be a fair price to ask for them?

Icons_zpsw4lyvxjy.jpg

Last edited:

bdp1978

Adventurer
I just stumbled on this thread, although Im pretty sure I read all of one of your previous builds in its entirety. I like the rack setup you did. I did something similar and now have it on my 2nd truck. I needed to transport bikes etc and still have dry storage in the bed for the family. I had a bunch of yakima parts so I put the rack together with gutter style towers and fabbed up heavy gauge aluminum brackets that bolt to the inside of the bed rail with SS bolts. Same as you, allows me to still roll up tonneau and I can take the entire rack of in about 2 minutes. The entire thing is locked on as well. Its nice hauling 3 bikes and still having the entire bed dry for gear....and I can tow the boat since the hitch is still free.

20160730_104300_zpsq9y43bth.jpg

Anyways, nice to see a similar setup!!! And GREAT truck!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94