'03 Tacoma Build

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Sweet tacoma, thinking of going a similar route with the 5100 adj. struts and shocks and keeping my 265-75-16s, hows the ride?, does it compare to stock?

I can't speak for this one but I have been running the 5100s f&r for a while now with 285/75/16 Treadwright BFG AT copies, OME medium coils in front, AALs and "1.5 lift blocks in back (going to Dakars sooner or later). The ride is spectacular empty or loaded right down. The Treadwrights seem a little stiffer than most too.

01tundra

Explorer
Sweet tacoma, thinking of going a similar route with the 5100 adj. struts and shocks and keeping my 265-75-16s, hows the ride?, does it compare to stock?

It actually rides much better. In corners the suspension is firm, and is much more forgiving when hitting bumps. I didn't believe it would make a big difference, so I only put the 5100's on the front initially, but once I put a set on the rear I found out that I was wrong.

01tundra

Explorer
After thinking about it a little more, I decided that I would actually come out better off paying CBI to build my sliders so I can stay focused on getting the two customer build projects out of the shop.....so I just ordered a set of custom CBI bolt-on sliders, BudBuilt skid plate combo set, and an Odyssey 35-PC1400T battery.

I'm planning on sneaking out of the shop sometime this weekend to get my hi-lift bed mount and gas tank skid plate plating project finished up.

01tundra

Explorer
Found some time to fab up my Hi-Lift bed mounts and fuel tank skid plate over the weekend......

hl1.jpg

hl2.jpg

hl3.jpg

hl4.jpg

hl5.jpg

gtskid1.jpg

gtskid2.jpg

gtskid3.jpg

01tundra

Explorer
Got the BudBuilt skid plates installed last night, but I'm going to drop the belly pan off tomorrow and weld some reinforcement angle onto it.

Also gathering up all the supplies to build a rear bumper for it. CBI sliders should be here in the next couple weeks.......then I'm done :).

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
.....then I'm done :).

Yeah - right. :rolleyes:

Good idea on the belly pan reinforcement. Before SAC, and I had a BudBuilt belly pan, that was a chronic weak point.

From an earlier post you mentioned ProClip for your GPS mount - thanks for that reference. I picked one up for my smart phone - now I can easily use some of the nav features while driving.

01tundra

Explorer
Ha! I just got off the phone with my steel girl, got it all lined up.

Looking at my options for license plate lights now, trying to remember which one I used on the Tundra.....

01tundra

Explorer
I had a BudBuilt belly pan, that was a chronic weak point.

Do you remember where the skid plate weak points were at?
It looks like I could weld one or two runs of 1" x 1/8" angle facing downward to form an upside down "V" the length of the plate. Thinking about running at least one piece between the cat and T-case.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Just before the rear mount; had to bang it flat a couple times. I think your idea about the angle iron is a good one, but I would have the point of the chevron pointing to the front so as to deflect an obstacle away from the centerline, or to guide the truck off of the peak of an obstacle. And it would be more aerodynamic, too, so you'd have that going for you...

01tundra

Explorer
I'm welding the angle on the top side of the plate (facing the floorboard) with the chevron pointing upward toward the floorboard, if that makes any sense at all.......

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I'm welding the angle on the top side of the plate (facing the floorboard) with the chevron pointing upward toward the floorboard, if that makes any sense at all.......

Check. You probably already figured this in but the T-case skid is pretty close so watch where you place your reinforcements. You may also want to add a couple drain holes, too. I often got a lot of muck up there. I suppose you enlarged the oil bung access hole, too. Big enough for a toddlers arm but I don't have any toddlers anymore.

01tundra

Explorer
Have a set of OME 881 coils and Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL coming for it.

CBI sliders will be here on Wednesday.

That ought to do it....

budskid.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior