What do you tow with your tacoma

Zac808

Observer
Yep. Close ;)
60e4cac7-3ef6-64b4.jpg

Sent frum mobul fone soe don't freek out about my speling and grahmar. ;)

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I know one person...

who tows a rock crawling FJ40 on a tandem axle trailer. He said he doesn't have any problems....

keezer37

Explorer
I went 8.5k once upon a time. It was a short distance from the equipment rental store to my property. Five miles each way. Moved out okay. Trans temp got to about 190. Stopping needed a good bit of forethought.

SkidSteer.jpg

someday

Adventurer
1500 lb teardrop. have 25,000 miles on the truck, about 6,000 of those has been with the teardrop. :sombrero:

Attachments

• DSC00065 2.JPG
    DSC00065 2.JPG
    592 KB · Views: 19

wstarkaz

I had an 04 Tacoma with the 3.4 liter. The towing capacity was 6000lbs also. I have a travel trailer with a GVWR of 5,900 and I'd estimate the weight was actually about 4,500-5,000 the way I had it loaded. The truck did horrible. It was very stressful to tow the trailer and the automatic transmission spent all its time shifting between 1st and 2nd gear on hills. It was very slow going. I took it through the Rockies one time and a drive that should have been 5 hrs took 9. Not to mention I got 6-10 miles per gallon depending on the terrain.
It is possible that the 4.0 would do better. Also I did have a 3 inch lift with slightly bigger tires. A regear might have made it better. I ended up selling the Tacoma and getting a Dodge diesel. I wish I had kept the Tacoma and got a different trailer. Hope that helps.

I towed a 4000 lb trailer with at least 1000 lbs of gear with my 05 DC for a few years...... no problems at all. The lighter the trailer the better the towing for sure!

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Thanks everyone...the reason I am asking is I have a one time trip to make...about 400 miles with a 4200lb vehicle + trailer...I think I will be under the 6000lb limit of my 2005 tacoma (with towing package)...I will have surge brakes on the trailer ...
I have a GMC 3500 but she is getting old and to the point where I don't like to venture much past AAAs range

NothingClever

Explorer
If the route doesn't involve a lot of stops and starts or steep hills, you should be fine although engine and braking performance will suffer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles