Picked up another 1st gen Cummins

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
I'm happy its back on the road again

Yes, I love the alcoas also I liked the price even better. A buddy put fugly Rockstars on his OBS Ford and sold me these for 100$. Alcoas and 1stgens are like Peanut butter and Jelly.

You'd be suprised at how many people stare at it as I Drive by. Could be people think its a big pile or it could be that the Bad A $$ factor is through the roof, we'll just say its the latter.:Wow1:

1st day I had it.
93W350004.jpg

Now
93W350121.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Rockstars are for meatheads! There is a guy from Washington rolling around my town with a tarted up JK with motometal wheels shaped like grinning skulls. His license plate is "AAAARGH". It should be "GAAAACK"!

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Well got some crap done this weekend on the old wreck. On Friday the Brown Santa dropped off a big box of 4" pipes, so I went over to a buddys to shoot the bull have a few beers and install this new exhaust I just got. I also fastened the cruise servo as the new fenderwell didn't have hole yet. Saturday I put a better tailgate placard on and then I went to another guys place to go see what he had for drivers doors layin around and he wanted to check out my new exhaust as he is gonna be ordering a few sets(he's got a few trucks). Any way on my way home I burned up a headlight switch, so this morning I tore into that. I replaced one a while back with a crappy used switch and at that time I noticed a PO had cut the factory plug off it and was just using female spade terminals, their wiring skills left a little to be desired. It had burnt a wire, one they had just twisted together. I snagged a plug out of an old dash harness and got it wired in and installed the switch an low and behold it works like it should, except the dome light doesn't work with the switch. The project after that was to put a clean set of door panels(old ones were dirty as heck and had a bunch of holes in em) on and fix whatever was wrong inside the doors. I ripped the drivers side off and found that a lot of the inner structure was fubared so I zipped a few self tappers in a few spots to stiffen it up, it needs a door bad. The pass side needed a speaker and the speaker harness repaired so that got done and on went the panel. I also replaced the window and lock switches and bezels, now the power locks started working.

Pretty productive weekend!! The fun continues tomorow, Its gettin a 89-92 shifter gonna change coolant and dig into some wiper issues.

93W350123.jpg

93W350126.jpg

93W350125.jpg

93W350128.jpg

93W350127.jpg

93W350131.jpg

93W350122.jpg

93W350129.jpg

93W350130.jpg

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Well I snapped a few pics of it in the daylight today. A few are of the W350 I dragged back from SD, It was working today.

The flatbed thats perched on top is the one that came off my W350.
93W350135.jpg

93W350134.jpg

93W350136.jpg

93W350143.jpg

93W350142.jpg

93W350150.jpg

93W350152.jpg

93W350153.jpg

93W350154.jpg

93W350165.jpg

93W350158.jpg

93W350156.jpg

93W350154.jpg

93W350155.jpg

93W350141.jpg

93W350167.jpg

Last edited:

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
So I fixed some more of the PO's fingerprints over the past couple days. Been sorting out wiring and lighting issues. I've been having issues with the running lights not wanting to work right and after I wired in a new headlight plug I thought those problems were solved, I guess they weren't. On my way home from Sioux City yesterday froom getting a core Getrag for a buddys truck the running and dash lights quit again. So I dug into it today and found a bad splice in a wire coming from the switch so that got fixed and I also found the PO never hooked the ground back to a switch so when I put a switch in a while back I never saw it till today. Now the dome light works with the switch and running lights work as they should, for now. I also fixed the cargo light so its in working condition now. The original switch must have stuck on so they unplugged it, after a trip to a friends place for the correct 93 cargo light switch and a nicer cargo light every thing there work like the factory designed it.

The truck now has different back window in it after a little mis hap with a buddys 4 wheeler.

I also got the wiper to work like they should. The now park correctly and the intermittent delay works too. Just tried a different control module I snagged out of a junker.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Yeah, it coming along. Slow but sure.

Rebuilt the steering coupler today. The body of the coupler that was on the truck was severly worn so I grabbed the one off my spare gear and used it, it was much better shape.

When I was under there I noticed one of the box bracket bolts was loose so we snugged that up too. The steering is much tighter now but still nowhere near as good as my 90.

93W350184.jpg

93W350185.jpg

93W350182.jpg

93W350183.jpg

93W350186.jpg

93W350187.jpg

93W350189.jpg

93W350188.jpg

93W350191.jpg

Last edited:

lstzephyr

wanderer
Looks good!

I thought about rebuilding my coupler but I decided on adding a u-joint. I am building the shaft off an old article of yours from cumminsforum I think. I still have to find a 2wd shaft.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Welp, the 1st major road trip in this unit starts in about an hour or so. Goin to central Wisconsin.

Should be about 1250 miles round trip. And I get to at a state that I've never been to to the traveled list.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
IT DIDN"T BLOW UP!!! Only issue was a brake switch rattled loose so cruise wouldn't work, Fixed it on the side of the road then proceded to twist my knee in a way it was never designed, that made the last 150 miles of the trip fun. However even though I'm in pain now the trip was awesome. Got to see some country I havn't seen since I was knee high and got to see a new state I havn't been to before. Other than that the truck is really comfy with its bucket seats, cruise and added wheel base. This will be my new trip truck. I actually had to lock er in in the icy hills of Wisconsin.

The highlight of the trip was when Me and pops stopped in New Ulm Minnesota and Visited our favorite Brewery. I got a hat and a couple shirts in the gift shop but sadly this is the off season and only do tours of the brewery on the weekends. I did stock up on a few beers I like though that are hard to find localy.

I'll have some pics up shortly.

BTW 4BT, they are a real clean set, I did a gov spring job for em and a nice pass side door I have yet to put on. Sucks you had to sell her but at least she went to a good home.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
PICS!!!!
MinnesotaWisconsin002.jpg

MinnesotaWisconsin005.jpg

MinnesotaWisconsin007.jpg

MinnesotaWisconsin009.jpg

MinnesotaWisconsin011.jpg

MinnesotaWisconsin017.jpg

MinnesotaWisconsin019.jpg

There was a lot of cool old barns in WI
MinnesotaWisconsin022.jpg