Finding a factory e-locked 3rd gen 4Runner?

Falkon

Adventurer
So I have been looking around for my latest obsession, a factory e-locked 3rd 4Runner, but I have not seen any whatsoever. I am presuming these are in pretty high demand, does one ever come up anywhere?

What are the thoughts on this vehicles for Overland use? The Tacoma seems to be pretty high on the list, but I already have a Gen1 Tundra, so I dont need another truck with a bed and I would like something that I can sleep in if needed. I have also considered a Tacoma with a shell...

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I have seen them around, they are fairly common here in the PNW but not sure about out in GA. I would focus on finding a clean 3rd gen first as you can always retrofit an e-locker in later...

FshTaco99

Adventurer
It took me over two years to find my 2000 Limited. Finally convinced a service manager at a local dealership to sell his. Paid a little over what it was actually worth but it was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Seems to find another one, you'll have to do some driving to get it... I highly doubt I'll find another 2000 Limited w/ locker and 4.30 gears.

bjowett

Adventurer
My father bought one new back 97 or so (long since traded), nice rig, SR5, no chrome, black fender flares, locking diff. I'll keep an eye out....

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Keep your eye open, most people don't even know they have them. I've found a couple on ebay over the years and ask for pictures to to left of the steering wheel to verify what I'm looking for. Saw a 5 spd on craigslist here in fl a while back. Use crazed list . org and see what you come up with obviously specify 4wd.

Aaron

phsycle

Adventurer
I think it's your locale. Broaden your search area (but stay away from NE vehicles aka rust buckets). I've run across quite a few locked 4Runners. I'd say maybe 30-40%, when I was looking. They'll also be cheaper than a comparable Tacoma, so if you don't need a truck bed, I'd get the 4Runner.

Falkon

Adventurer
Thanks y'all, ill keep looking. It appears the lockers were not standard with any specific trim, makes it a bit harder.

CYi5

Explorer
x2 xcmountain; look at interior pictures provided on craigslist for the locker button. 4wd Limiteds do more commonly have the locker with the bonus of 4.30's :).

Falkon

Adventurer
Could those in the know, define the pros and cons of the 4.30 gears? This truck will be used mostly on weekends mostly in Ga mountains on some medium rocks, clay/dirt/sand.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Could those in the know, define the pros and cons of the 4.30 gears? This truck will be used mostly on weekends mostly in Ga mountains on some medium rocks, clay/dirt/sand.

Will depend on your final build plans. I've run 4.56 with 295.75.16 and it wasn't low enough, I since have swapped to 4.88 and am much happier and still running the 295's. You can ask around or pm me and I'll tell you what I know.

Aaron

Falkon

Adventurer
Aaron, thanks for the offer. I wil get with you when I solidify some questions.

Stick, thats a great reource, thanks:luxhello:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles