Dual 6 volt batteries for starting

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
My eyes are bleary from searching for anything on this subject. Has anyone used a pair of 6V golf car batteries in series as a starting battery? Since they do not rate GC batteries for CCA, I have no idea how good or bad of an idea this might be.

Thanks for not laughing at me too hard . . . :elkgrin:

Keitha

Observer
What's the point? Without knowing the specifics of the batteries my instinct tells me that a golf cart battery would be more of a deep cycle design and not capable of the high CCA that you want out of a starting battery. Really, What is the point - What are you trying to accomplish?

Keitha

Observer
I would still rather have 2 x 12 volts that can stand alone if one fails. In the 2 x 6V scenario, if one fails then you are stuck.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
The point is storage capacity. Golf car batteries are designed and built with frequent deep cycling as their intended use, and for substantial storage. Two 6V GC batteries have substantially more storage capacity than even a pair of Group 31 Marine/deep cycle 12 V batteries in parallel.

I called and spoke to Deka tech and confirmed that a pair of GC45 batteries in series will provide over 600CCA for starting. They said it should be no problem at all.

As to failure of one 6V battery, I am also installing a seperate 12V battery to serve solely as a backup starting battery.

The problem is actually space. I am trying to put two of these GC45s under the hood of my Jeep, and I don't think it's going to work. :(

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I have not used this set up for automotive applications, but in installed two banks of 2X6V GC Deka AGMs in my Airstream. Tossed the two way fridge and went 12V. Great AH performance, fast recharge. No troubles in three years.

The problem is the height and weight of these batteries... 1 bank would weigh 150+ lbs. And there is a potential problem is you geta bac cell or two - you won't get 12 volts.

x2 on the size and weight of the 6v. I use them in my MoHo as house batteries...they're great as deep cycles. But I can't imagine putting them under the hood of the Ram. Good luck, though. YMMV...:sombrero:

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Go agm

I use the ODYSSEY AGM starting-deep-cycle batteries in my Burb, even have another stand alone big AGM battery inside rig to run inverter.

Odyssey, Braille Batteries and some other companies sell absorbent glass mat (AGM) extreme high amp starting batteries that are deep cycle and can be drawn down 100's of times and that = big value for $$$ spent.

If I remember right the Odyessy can be taken down 80% and back 400 times, up to 500 times at 50% draw down and many, many more times at less draw down.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94