Moab Gathering Nov. 2-4 2007

Willman

Moab Gathering 2007'.....come one......come all.....Depending on how many people come.....This is the tentative schedule.....From what I've heard...the White Rim Trail can be done in a day...but i'm keeping our options open on this one.....It would be fun to camp....but that means a limit to how many can attend...and the rest as follows........I would love to hear feed back on our tentative schedule...........I'm up for anything

Moab weather in Nov......Avg. high is 57 and the Avg. low is 28 degrees......Going to get cold at night.......make sure to dress warm:REOutCampFire03:

Post up if you want to join the party!.....stay tuned to this thread for more details on the final schedule :safari-rig:

Schedule: (Trails are Tentative)

Friday:

Friday morning meeting place:

City Market @ 9 AM and leaving at 9:30 AM (Trail still pending.....What do yous want to do????..Speak up or hold your peace)

425 South Main is the City Market, a big parking lot, last minute run into the store, near the gas station. This is on the left hand side if you're coming in from the north.

Lots of options open...lets here them!!!!!(Shafer Trail to Lathrop Canyon and out Potash,
Metal Masher, Steel Bender, ..........What do you what to do????)

Saturday:Kane Creek Canyon Trail

Sunday:Hells Revenge (4x4 play ground)

Base Camp: CAMPSPOT has CHANGED

-We are going to camp down Kane Creek. It is a free area, that will allow for plenty of space, and gets us away from town (which is what we like, right?).

DIRECTIONS
-At McDonalds in town(the only one), there is a light, that road is Kane Creek Blvd. Turn down that road, and follow it until it comes to a "Y" where you will stay left.
-Follow this road awhile, and you will pass some trailers, some camping spots, etc. on the right and left.
-After about 2-3 miles, the road turns into dirt.
-Keep going.
-And going. You will pass "amasa back" aka the cliffhanger trail on the right.
-You should take caution, as this road has some steep cliffs on the sides, and could be a problem if you are one who likes to drive really fast on dirt roads.
-Keep going until you come to a water crossing. It isn't very deep (usually) but it is significant; you will know you have crossed it. (It will MAYBE be 3-4" deep)
-Keep going.
-After another mile or so, there is a sign on the right side of the road that says something like "Camp only in designated areas" or the like.
(We should post a sign right there or something to indicate being on the right path?)
-Keep going, and after coming up a gradual incline, in drops down again, and if you go too far, there is a second water crossing.
-The spot we are shooting for is maybe 30 yards before the second water crossing, on the right. It is nice and open.

alternative plan: If that spot is taken, continue through the 2nd water crossing, and immediately hang a left. There are plenty of good spots back in there.

I am going to try and get GPS coordinates of the spot to post up.

Contact infor.......PM me with an Emergency contact and a number that you can be reached...and also find out whos coming

Attendee List:
-Willman
-durango_60
-Oldsven (coming for Seattle!)
-durangodds
-devinsixtyseven
-Rubi-Khan (Tentative)
-Moody
-Uticon
-Jacket
-rhodos
-nickt
-Hayes
-ckkone
-Rexsname
-BogusBlake

If you name is not bold, I need you to check in and get your Emergency contact infor. just incase.

:D

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Sign us up (tentative). Major determining factor will be work schedules... will not know until Oct.

durangodds

Adventurer
Sign me up, although I can't say I want to do the White Rim Trail in a day, or would I recommend it. Having done the trail 3 times I can say it would make for a long day, be rough on your vehicle, and lose the point of enjoying the great scenery.

I'll have the dutch oven dinner waiting in camp for you although I can't say it will still be warm when you roll in.

You could do something different like going down Shafer Trail to Lathrop Canyon and out Potash (or back up Shafer). This gets you to some great overlooks and Musselman Arch. The NPS is telling people you can't get down Lathrop since last falls big rain and that they can't fix it. But...this spring I did see some tracks going down it and would love to help pull Ruby out of there. There used to be a nice picnic site down there with tables and the works.

Willman

flyingwil said:
Sign us up (tentative). Major determining factor will be work schedules... will not know until Oct.

Right on Wil!!!

It's going to be a great trip!!!!....You can use that snorkel of yours!!!!!......Snorkel might have to move up my mod list before this trip.....

Willman

durangodds said:
Sign me up, although I can't say I want to do the White Rim Trail in a day, or would I recommend it. Having done the trail 3 times I can say it would make for a long day, be rough on your vehicle, and lose the point of enjoying the great scenery.

I'll have the dutch oven dinner waiting in camp for you although I can't say it will still be warm when you roll in.

You could do something different like going down Shafer Trail to Lathrop Canyon and out Potash (or back up Shafer). This gets you to some great overlooks and Musselman Arch. The NPS is telling people you can't get down Lathrop since last falls big rain and that they can't fix it. But...this spring I did see some tracks going down it and would love to help pull Ruby out of there. There used to be a nice picnic site down there with tables and the works.

Your making a fat guy hungry!!!!!.....You sure know how to cook out of your oven......This time you will be able to taste my mountain mans breakfast!!!!!

Your plan of changing the first day sounds good...Got any pictures??....I think the White Rim trail needs 2 days or more......Might have to hit that trail another time......I'm not set on the Rim trail.......Love to hear more options for day one!!!

flyingwil

Willman said:
Right on Wil!!!

It's going to be a great trip!!!!....You can use that snorkel of yours!!!!!......Snorkel might have to move up my mod list before this trip.....

What snorkel? :snorkel: We might even be bringing two vehicles? I dunno yet.

Willman

flyingwil said:
What snorkel? :snorkel: We might even be bringing two vehicles? I dunno yet.

Did a little :archaeolo.......

This snorkel!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_1377.JPG
[/QUOTE]

Sweet deal....love to see that Xterra in action!!!

:safari-rig:

flyingwil

Willman said:
This snorkel!!!!!!!!!!! Sweet deal....love to see that Xterra in action!!! :safari-rig:

That's not a snorkel it's a bubble machine... it blows bubbles when I put it in reverse.... duh!

Yeah, Nic, I hope we can make it. The Moab trip is L O N G overdue!

Willman said:
What's your project vehicle?:peepwall: :)

Well, the old 109 Landie was just too blasted slow to take anywhere interesting ... all of which are a long way from centrail Iowa.

So she's getting a new powertrain. Ok, the plan was just for a new engine (Chevy TBI 350) and trans ( Rover LT95).

While working on the old frame it became obvious that it was far gone ... and then the rust in the firewall / bulkhead was discovered.

So, bulkhead repairs have ben made and it's ready to come home from the galvanizer. The frame is just about ready to be delivered to the galvanizer and then it's re-assembly time.

The nice thing about the 109 ... Graham knows this ... is that the rear cargo area is six and a half feet long. Plenty long enough for a 5'8" guy to sleep in should the weather be too nasty ;)

Anywho, if she's not ready the Disco is always pre-dented, dusty and champing at the bit :)

Best,

KAA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles