interior spare tire tie down ideas?

xpndbl3

Adventurer
Thinking of buying some D-rings for the floor and using the 1" wide ratchet straps to hold down a spare tire. Anyone else have suggestions on better options that may be available besides drilling holes through the floor with large fender washers and mounting it to two or three of them? Figure I could also use them to tie down other objects as well while out camping, or fishing. It's going in my suburban in case people were curious.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
i always thought it'd be cool to build a spare tire mount out of the 3rd row seat frame. so it attaches into the stock holes and is removable when needed.

xpndbl3

Adventurer
excellent idea, too bad I keep the 3rd row seat in mine. hmmmm, maybe I can tie into the rear mounts as well. Have to look at it tomorrow.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
i have more dogs than people so the 3rd seat is never going back into my sub. if anything, when its up and running, i'll probably travel with the 2nd row folded down so the dogs can lay down and the camping gear can go in the far back. that and its way too comfortable on the floor of my garage haha!

Last edited:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Maybe get an pickup truck bed mount tire holder like this one from JC Whitney and modify it to mount to your interior trim. Also, many years ago I had a 1981 Bronco that had an interior spare tire carrier bracket that you may be able to find and use to mount inside your rig.

Here is a pic of what I had in my rig

spare-carrier-002a.jpg

xpndbl3

Adventurer
just worried with the weight of the tire and rim that those mounts would rip out in short order. This is a 35" tire, not a 29" like stock. That's why I was thinking D rings and a ratchet strap, but maybe the body panel would support this thing yanking on them?

02TahoeMD

Explorer
If you pop off your interior trim you can find steel to bolt the mounts to, then just trim away the portion of plastic you need to reach the steel for a secure bolt down. My Bronco spare holder was definitely stout enough to support a large tire. If you used one of them, I would just set it up so that the weight of the wheel is actually sitting on the floor, and the bracket is just used to keep the tire in one place.

Just food for thought, regardless, show us what you end up with...:ylsmoke:

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Maybe get an pickup truck bed mount tire holder like this one from JC Whitney and modify it to mount to your interior trim. Also, many years ago I had a 1981 Bronco that had an interior spare tire carrier bracket that you may be able to find and use to mount inside your rig.

Here is a pic of what I had in my rig

View attachment 75808

That was my idea as well. I have the factory inside tire mount in my Bronco and it's surprisingly stout. I imagine you could pick one up at a junk yard pretty cheap.

Patman

Explorer
just worried with the weight of the tire and rim that those mounts would rip out in short order. This is a 35" tire, not a 29" like stock. That's why I was thinking D rings and a ratchet strap, but maybe the body panel would support this thing yanking on them?

I had a 35 (tsl sx so a litte heavy) on the rear floor of one of my 60s. Cross strapped with 1" wide ratchet straps connected to 1500lb rated d rings through bolted with 4" square washers on both sides. When I flipped it fairly hard, two d rings simply snapped and the tire landed on the ceiling.
Just remember go overkill and then some!

xpndbl3

Adventurer
ouch, exactly what I'm worried about. Don't want a 100+ pound missile coming towards my head or a passengers. maybe I'll loop the straps around the rim opening so they can't just release the tire like happened to yours. Not really sure what to do here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz