Basic shower 12v pump

woytovich

Observer
Ok, simple question: what are the MINIMUM specs I should look for in a 12v water pump for a shower? This will be built into a portable unit to be able to be moved around between trailers and vehicles and to use various sources of water (5 gallon can, stream, on demand portable hot water heater) depending on the situation. The pump will be powered by a car battery or other 12v source. I am not looking for the BEST specs... I want to know how LITTLE I can have to get a simple yet decent shower (read fast, short, Navy, trail, field...)

Thanks,
Mark

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
I'd say 0.5 to 1 GPM is around about the minimum for a basic shower. My 2 GPM is way to much for a simple shower, even with the shower head 8ft above the pump and water tank. But if you are pumping out of a river and up a bank, that will add quite a lot, so I guess it will depend on how far and high you want to pump the water as well.

gonejeeping15

Adventurer
My visit to Vietnam I was tired of no shower. I took a 3 lb. coffee and put a wire in the open top to hang it. I hammered nail holes in the bottom of the can untill I had enough warm water to soap up and rinse off. Simple and effective, if you wanted a 2 gal shower, you just filled it up again.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'd say 0.5 to 1 GPM is around about the minimum for a basic shower. My 2 GPM is way to much for a simple shower, even with the shower head 8ft above the pump and water tank. But if you are pumping out of a river and up a bank, that will add quite a lot, so I guess it will depend on how far and high you want to pump the water as well.

Spot on. Our Helton kits come equipped with a pump system capable of ~.5 GPM which given its intended head tube and pickup tube, works perfectly and is just enough for a good shower while using water conservatively. If your pulling longer draws a bigger pump would be suitable, something in the 1-1.5 GPM would work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier