Vanilla: 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 build.

BCHauler

Adventurer
I really like your truck and the approach you've taken. Simple, inexpensive, but improved. I like the low ride height as well.

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Thanks! Sometimes I wish it was a little higher, but I will be testing it out this year to see how she goes along the trails I do and decide if it really needs it. Like I said on the first page, I want to keep my COG as low as possible, and being short it is nice not having to park next to a low limbed tree or carry a ladder around to get in and out of it (though I do have my 4 foot step ladder packed into the truck to allow me to get to the top of the topper easier). Plus, having to drive a Peterbilt and a Kenworth at work makes me appreciate not having to climb in it every day ;)

I got the truck back this afternoon after the tire shop had her all morning. They lowered the front end a whopping 1/2 inch to allow the truck to sit back on the stops that are under there (wasn't aware there were any, something to look for on my next oil change!) and she rides a little better as well after the new ball joint install, haha! We'll be packing the bed up tomorrow evening so we can start on our trip on Thursday, so I'll be interested to see how she does then. Once we get back, I'll be ordering up some new stuff here and there to keep the progress going. Thinking some extra lighting is in order for when the winter comes, and as stated in an earlier post I'll be packing her full of more safety equipment and buttoning certain things up. Also thinking it's time for yet another redesign on my center console to better incorporate my CB as it is a little inaccessible at the moment.

I'll be sure to post pictures from our "adventure" this weekend. Not sure if we are still going to go kayaking due to this wonderful PNW weather we are getting, but I may talk the ladies into still hauling them over just in case!

Jimmeh

Memorial Weekend was a great test for old Betty White (or Vanilla). Gas mileage was a bit of a problem for me, as I wasn't too impressed with the 16.5 MPG I got, but I was also not accounting for my speedometer being off. I was impressed every other way though. She was comfortable for the ladies and the baby, as she slept the entire way only waking up when we would stop. I didn't get many pictures of the truck itself since I wasn't really there to test it out realistically, but here are the ones I did get:

010-1.jpg

And packed full of mostly baby crap:
059.jpg

Last weekend, I went on a solo wheeling trip just up the road from me, and ended up getting stuck. Ended up calling a friend of mine with an 07 Ram to pull me out of the hole I was in:

012-3.jpg

013-4.jpg

If I weren't so focused on getting a home loan, I would be putting in a locker. The open rear end just isn't going to cut it for some of that kind of stuff. So, for now, I will have to stay fairly light in the way of wheeling, or be a little more prepared, lol.

For this week, I took the topper off of my truck and substituted it with my rack and tool box as I will be hauling some stuff for my old boss, and need more head space.

005-11.jpg

004-10.jpg

003-13.jpg

Before I put the topper back on, I will be building the bed/storage in the bed. I'll probably run like this for a little while though just because I don't really have many long distance trips planned, and really don't need the topper for the close to home camping, lol. You can also see that I added some OEM fender flares, but I also added a Hypertech Max Energy programmer. Bumped my mileage up a touch as well as gave me that extra umph I wanted for the highway hills and passing. Very impressed, and since I bought it used from a member on a different board, I got it for a REALLY good price.

Don't have plans of getting anything done on the truck for the next couple of weeks. I am trying to get it refinanced so that I can get a family members name off of it who co-signed, plus lower the payment, and as mentioned, working on getting myself a house since living in a garage is getting pretty old. I still have some stuff to put on the truck, but I am being lazy, lol.

Jimmeh

See attached pic for what's coming next. Time to find some scrap metal to practice welding on, then it's time to get a replacement angle grinder! Bumper builds!!!!

Attachments

• 309355_10151889373815534_1155760724_n.jpg
    309355_10151889373815534_1155760724_n.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 4

Wes

Observer
Nice looking truck!!! I like about everything you've done to it. I have a bench seat in mine and have been thinking about building a center console. I'm also building a rear bumper now. It'll have a swing out tire carrier built into it. Have fun welding:eek:)

~Wes~

Jimmeh

Nice looking truck!!! I like about everything you've done to it. I have a bench seat in mine and have been thinking about building a center console. I'm also building a rear bumper now. It'll have a swing out tire carrier built into it. Have fun welding:eek:)

~Wes~
Please post up when you finish building your bumper! I would love to see it, and get an idea of maybe how to do mine. Right now I am just kind of looking at other guys' designs.

Wes

Observer
I'll do it:eek:) I've been scouring the internet for Ideas also. That's how I found this great site\o/

~Wes~

Sethro4x4Chevy

What leveling kit did you use in your truck? I currently have a 3" rake in mine..38" from ground to bottom on fender flares in rear and 35" in front. Trying to level out as much as possible, and don't really want to crank torsion bar. And what's the height of your body lift, if you don't mind me asking, and any trouble? I heard is makes them unsafe and you get alot of creeks and noises?..going on a 1200mile round trip to Michigan from here in Minnesota in 3 months and would like to level her out if possible. Also looking for rims at the moment..my tires are getting very close to need replacing, was thinking 285s but are 33's a better route to go, and would they fit? If I have approx. 38' of clearance? Thanks in advance!
-Seth

Jimmeh

285's are pretty much the same as 33's. I have the 1.5" Zone body lift which was not a pain to install other than the bed with the spare tire, and I haven't had any more creaks and squeaks then when I did stock, and that's including a 1300 mile road trip just two months ago. 1.5" wasn't enough to make it unsafe to me, but that's just my opinion. A body lift won't level you out, just give you more room for tires.

I have the Pro Comp leveling kit and recommend getting a different brand. Maybe it's leveling kits in general, but mine seems to be going through ball joints way too fast. I am considering having it removed and just getting a 4" suspension lift.

Anyway, I have some news to add to this thread! Got my sleeping platform built:

007-9.jpg

008-6.jpg

009-3.jpg

010-3.jpg

011-4.jpg

013-5.jpg

And one of the truck with dads boat hooked up and topper on:
012-4.jpg

I'll be taking it out next weekend hopefully to test it out. I've got an air mattress so it shouldn't be too bad!

Seabass

Idiot
Check out cognito motorsports. They sell replacement upper control arms with bolt in ball joints. I believe they have some that are tilted to allow the ball joint to run at a better angle on leveled trucks. I have a leveling kit on my truck (Wichita is identical to yours) and have had no trouble in 20thousand miles. But I'll buy cognito arms if I have any trouble.

Bartonmd

Observer
Just as an idea, you could do a headache rack that goes inside the camper shell, so you don't have to keep switching. You can just take the camper shell on and off over it, and it allows you to safely load above the bed rail line and not worry about what's back there killing you in a crash that you would have otherwise walked away from.

This is the one I made for my first gen Cummins, so we can load firewood floor to ceiling, front to back, just leaving enough room at the back for the saws, then stacking them in, too:

IMAG0933-1.jpg

IMAG1134-1.jpg

Jimmeh

If I had a long bed, I would consider that option, but there just isn't enough room in my short bed to do that, plus have a sleeping platform, and my other stuff. Besides, the rack and box are relatively light to move around. The topper is kinda a pain, but I plan on building a stand to put it on when I don't want/need it on. For now, I'll just be keeping it on.

And thanks for the tip on those ball joints, Seabass! I think I may go ahead and pick up a set!

Jimmeh

Been awhile since I updated anything on the white truck. Obviously, I haven't done much or I would have, haha.

I found a guy that is willing to help me build a rear bumper with swing away, but haven't done any more work on it other than buying some metal. I actually haven't been driving the white truck regularly as I got the Ranger running. The builder suggested starting with a Bronco or Blazer swing out for the tire carrier part of the build. Here it is mocked up:

005-13.jpg

Obviously it will be going on the outside of the tail gate. I will also have to move the upper body mount portion so that the bar that the swing out will attach to doesn't block illumination from my tail lamp. I then need to figure out a latching system to keep the swing out from...swinging when it's not supposed to.

Putting the bumper on the back burner, I moved on to this coming sporting event: hunting. I've been out scouting areas both local and a few hours away. Found some promising hunting grounds and some really crappy areas. Of course, I take the camera, and of course, I see some opportunities to do some picture pimping ;)

A few weekends ago about 20 minutes from my house:

010_zps67b63e00.jpg

007_zps64db9e1f.jpg

004-13.jpg

Last weekend about 320 ish miles from my house:

003-17.jpg

010-4.jpg

012-5.jpg

013-6.jpg

015-3.jpg

Rifle season starts on the 20th, so hopefully I will be posting some game pics the next time I update. My dad and buddy are really wanting elk, and while I wouldn't mind one, I am looking more for birds and a nice deer (hell, even a legal deer will be cool with me!).

Only thing that has changed lately is my head unit. Last weekend, we took a break for about an hour or so. My buddy took a nap, and I sat there listening to music and reading and scoping. While I was sitting there, I was thinking "Man, I kinda wish I had one of those fancy DVD head units I was looking at so I could watch a movie". Well, last week, a friend of mine that works at a audio shop called and told me that a Pioneer deck I had been looking at came into their shop, BRAND NEW, and he said he'd sell it to me for a wicked awesome price. So, I came in and snatched it up and installed it yesterday. Still have to do the DVD part, but here it is in it's new home:

002-18.jpg

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Truck is looking GREAT! I may have missed it but why did you switch your mirrors back? I have a switched to a set of aftermarket tow mirrors on my truck (99, same style as yours) and absolutely hate them. I was thinking of putting my stock mirrors back on but I hate the chrome caps so Im on the lookout for a set of black textured ones. Also, Thoughts on the brute intake? Ive been wanting an intake but not sure what to buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles