Vanilla: 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 build.

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Truck is looking GREAT! I may have missed it but why did you switch your mirrors back? I have a switched to a set of aftermarket tow mirrors on my truck (99, same style as yours) and absolutely hate them. I was thinking of putting my stock mirrors back on but I hate the chrome caps so Im on the lookout for a set of black textured ones. Also, Thoughts on the brute intake? Ive been wanting an intake but not sure what to buy.

You didn't miss anything on the mirrors as I haven't posted anything about that project. I switched back to the stock mirrors so I can mod the tow ones a little bit. The convex mirror on the drivers side just doesn't adjust the way I want it, and I can see inside the casing the reason. There is a small ridge that stops the mirrors from going out more. The passenger side adjusts great for me, so I don't plan on modding that one.

You can also find black caps to replace those chrome ones on eBay, FYI.

My thoughts on intakes: Waste of money (for a daily driver) without other modifications that cost too much to make it justifiable. It made my truck sound different, but I saw absolutely no gains from installing it. In fact, I actually felt a decrease in power with the cone air filter on, so I stuck my stock air box back on the intake tube. I got the intake for basically nothing (got that, a Les Schwab Battery, 4 custom wheels and 4 33" mud terrains that lasted about 50,000 miles for $300), which is the only reason I have it. Eventually, I think I may do a full exhaust (headers and such), but that's a lot of money for not a ton of gain. If I were to be in the market for a power adder, I would go with a programmer. I have a Hypertech Max Energy tuner for my truck, and absolutely love it! Out of all the power adders I have on the truck, it is my absolute favorite! I played with a couple of settings and got the truck the way I want it now, and have been averaging about 17.5 MPG with mixed city/highway driving fully loaded with all my gear and my topper on (weighing in at roughly 5500 pounds, and literally 8 miles of city, 8.5 miles of highway for my daily commute). Without the topper and gear, I was getting 18 all day. Of course, that's really light pedal action as well.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Ok thanks very much for that. I think I still have a set of textured mirrors somewhere at my dads place I was going to look for. Sounds like we have the same issue with the tow mirrors.

Maybe Ill hold off on the intake, I was going to get a tuner also but I may regear first. Ive been getting around 15-16mpg @ roughly 75-80% highway(65-70mph), truck is stock other than 6" RCx lift, 3" body lift, 235/85R16 tires and side exit flowmaster cat back.

brian90744

American Trekker
the dealer sell just the glass mirror parts, you can remove the glass mirror and make your mod, I found the wires on the those mirrors break and must be repaired. just FYI=brian

You didn't miss anything on the mirrors as I haven't posted anything about that project. I switched back to the stock mirrors so I can mod the tow ones a little bit. The convex mirror on the drivers side just doesn't adjust the way I want it, and I can see inside the casing the reason. There is a small ridge that stops the mirrors from going out more. The passenger side adjusts great for me, so I don't plan on modding that one.

You can also find black caps to replace those chrome ones on eBay, FYI.

My thoughts on intakes: Waste of money (for a daily driver) without other modifications that cost too much to make it justifiable. It made my truck sound different, but I saw absolutely no gains from installing it. In fact, I actually felt a decrease in power with the cone air filter on, so I stuck my stock air box back on the intake tube. I got the intake for basically nothing (got that, a Les Schwab Battery, 4 custom wheels and 4 33" mud terrains that lasted about 50,000 miles for $300), which is the only reason I have it. Eventually, I think I may do a full exhaust (headers and such), but that's a lot of money for not a ton of gain. If I were to be in the market for a power adder, I would go with a programmer. I have a Hypertech Max Energy tuner for my truck, and absolutely love it! Out of all the power adders I have on the truck, it is my absolute favorite! I played with a couple of settings and got the truck the way I want it now, and have been averaging about 17.5 MPG with mixed city/highway driving fully loaded with all my gear and my topper on (weighing in at roughly 5500 pounds, and literally 8 miles of city, 8.5 miles of highway for my daily commute). Without the topper and gear, I was getting 18 all day. Of course, that's really light pedal action as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles