Vanilla: 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 build.

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Hi there. I've been kind of a lurker for the last few days and decided to just go ahead and post up a build thread. I own a 2005 Chevy Silverado base with four doors, AC and that's it as far as options. I've been slowly transforming it into a more comfortable daily driver and now will be making it my DD and summer camper. It has been a very reliable truck for the last two and a half years that I've owned it and I hope it will last for quite a bit longer. Throughout this thread I will try to update with pictures and some guides on how I did some things since I hope to be trying new stuff.

I started out with the truck as your basic work model. AM/FM stereo, stock 17" wheels, everything was built for work. I bought it though because the price was right, and it had low miles. Here's a few pictures from the night I brought it home:

Picture237.jpg

Picture238.jpg

Picture239.jpg

It had a few flaws, such as no center armrest/console, stock stereo system, a few things exterior wise, but I pretty much changed all of those within the first couple of days.

Things removed:
Picture242.jpg

Picture241.jpg

Picture240.jpg

Picture248.jpg

New headunit:
Picture249.jpg

First "console":
Picture272.jpg

Picture276.jpg

After a few months of driving it like that, I decided to build another console, and I bought a couple of things off a friend of mine such as wheels and tires, and a cold air intake:

Second console:
Picture328.jpg

New wheels and tires Devino 17" with 33X12.50's:
Picture015.jpg

Cold air intake:
Picture005.jpg

After another couple of months I took it on it's first road trip to Spokane. It really impressed me by getting 21 MPG's without going over 65. And after the trip, I decided to go ahead and put a little money into a tune from a local auto shop. Ended up getting a little more power out of it, but it wasn't anything crazy.

After a while I got bored of the gray grille and black mirrors, so I color matched them:

Before:
Picture091.jpg

After:
Picture106.jpg

It stayed that way for quite a while (probably about a year) with an exhaust system install in between (went with a Flowmaster 40 single in dual out and all custom bent tubing from the end of the cat all the way back).

I also got to try out the 4WD a lot that winter and decided to upgrade to a studded snow tire, and after that I went ahead and tried it out more. First time it ever got stuck:

Picture207.jpg

Picture208.jpg

Those wheels got trashed thanks to Montana having to put Mag Chloride on the road, so I decided to keep them as my winter wheels and got some new summer wheels with the same old 33's:

Picture238-1.jpg

Picture403.jpg

Last summer, I went and built another center console which I still have now. I plan on building more onto it because I much prefer this design. Also upgraded my speakers, but I never did take a picture of those:

Picture572.jpg

Picture574.jpg

After that, I went through a phase where I thought it would be awesome to have a headache rack for work (at the time I was working in the construction field), so I bought a premade one from a local dealer, and then I had it reworked to fit my truck properly:

Picture586.jpg

Picture585.jpg

I then started to take the chrome trim stuff off the bottom of the truck, but of course got most of it off and stopped. I also repainted the grille which will once again change:

Picture055-1.jpg

Picture054-1.jpg

Jimmeh

And this week, I decided to finally get a topper for it. I also got tired of the white "sport" mirrors and went ahead and bought some basic towing mirrors:

1120111108.jpg

1120111109.jpg

1120111109a.jpg

Next up will be a rack system for the topper. I have a lot of plans for the truck that I hope to get done within the next year, but for now I'll be driving it as it is and upgrading some stuff here and there. The very next project will be a raised bed in the bed of the truck to have some under storage and for sleeping on. I'll probably start drawing something up next week for that.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
nice build, its always nice to see a bunch of smaller improvements and how they make a big difference when their all put together

Jimmeh

I agree. It's hard to believe that I haven't spent more then maybe $2500 on everything I've done so far. I try to go and find the best deal and I throw around a lot of names too, haha. When they say it's all about who you know, they weren't kidding.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I agree. It's hard to believe that I haven't spent more then maybe $2500 on everything I've done so far. I try to go and find the best deal and I throw around a lot of names too, haha. When they say it's all about who you know, they weren't kidding.

yea thats definitely true, too bad no one i know helps me out with any thing i try to buy for my truck lol

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I bought those towing mirrors for my 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Love them!
Now I can avoid crushing the Prius next to me.

Jimmeh

I bought those towing mirrors for my 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Love them!
Now I can avoid crushing the Prius next to me.

My only complaint is that the drivers side convex mirror does not get to where I need it when it's not extended. Not sure if there is an adjustment on the inside of it though. I used them for the first time yesterday for their true purpose when I hauled around my box trailer though and it's much better when it's extended.

Jimmeh

Today, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on my new set of spring to fall tires. 285/70-17 Cooper Discoverer AT3's. I did a lot of research on these tires and was looking for a somewhat aggressive looking all terrain that would preform well in most conditions and not drown out a normal conversation during highway driving, and of course I wanted a fairly decent price for them. I will be getting one more in the late spring to mount on a spare wheel that I have, I just could not afford another tire at the moment.

I will not run these in the winter months as they salt the roads here in Montana, and would rather keep my wheels in good shape, but they will get enough use this summer. I also installed a new set of Bilstein shocks in the rear and am waiting on some 5100's for the front that I ordered. I have yet to start on my raised platform in the bed build as I have been working 50+ hour weeks and just haven't had a good day of weather to justify pulling out all my tools. I'm still thinking about how I actually want to do it, but I will probably just end up starting on it and letting the juices flow during the project.

Attachments

• Picture 448.jpg
    Picture 448.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

Jimmeh

So I've done quite a few things since last posting. Here's some pics and some descriptions of what was what!

Topper bars (Yakima 66" with LP#6's for attaching to topper), and Truck Gear Direct brush guard for now as well as wheels and tires installed:
016.jpg

006.jpg

003-1.jpg

Took my topper off to lighten up the truck for my body lift install coming hopefully this weekend:
002-3.jpg

Installed my CB:
004-2.jpg

003-4.jpg

024-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

And a sunny pic after a hand wash:
002-5.jpg

As mentioned, installing body lift hopefully this weekend (1.5" Zone off road with rear bumper brackets), have some new brackets made for my brush guard maybe next week, putting topper back on with a set of vertical kayak racks since I'll be hauling 3 over to WA at the end of May, and I am hoping that I get my bed liner so I can put that on my rockers and fender flares before the trip over. Also installed a tailgate lock and have new t-handles coming for the topper hopefully tomorrow! I am hopeful of a lot of things in this post, lol. Anyway, that's all I've got for now ;)

Last edited:

dy_lon

Observer
Nice progression on your build - we have similar taste in vehicles. I have a 00' white ext cab silverado that I have began to modify for overlanding trips. Check out my build thread.

Sethro4x4Chevy

Prior to putting on your rims/tires in the first photo with them, did you lift/raise your truck in any way or is that stock hieght witht he 33's? Also, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get and how much were your towing mirrors.
All around great truck!. It's nice how small things can make a large improvement.
-Seth

BlackClassic

If Not Now When?
I like your truck. Its coming along good. I like the location of your antenna vs. the traditional dual whips like all the yuppies I see around my area. Makes your truck unique, and you centerconsole is neato too!

BCHauler

Adventurer
Nice truck. I am someone who prefers the lower ride height so I'm curious why you're choosing to do a lift?

Seabass

Idiot
Great build! I have the exact same truck but mines an 02. Same color-same package- white leer topper with yakima rack. I run black wheels and 285/75-16 A/T's. I put herculiner on my rockers and flares a couple of years ago- i love the way it looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles