M416 Trailer Kitchen Shelf build

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
Haven't posted much here, but did a little weekend project and thought I'd share.

Trailer kitchen shelf build 004.jpg

Still need to cut out sink location, drench it in Thompson's water seal, cut out propane line hole for stove. As you can see (maybe), it all interlocks, so it breaks down flat and fits in the trailer on edge between the cargo boxes.

Made from 1/2" hardwood ply, top is good with the support leg, bottom shelf rests on fender but I think I'm going to add a wedge or something underneath - the wood is cut perfectly, but the fenders are anything but. Usable as is tho, can support stove and what not and isn't going to fall off, just like to have the bottom as solid as the top.

Short term, water jug can rest on corner of trailer and feed sink, but have ideas for hot water too - which would also give a hot shower, all for about $100. So far, got $45 tied up in plywood. Sink was a yard sale find from decades ago.

Now to actually go camping again... :)

-ralph

P.S. Maybe somebody can tell me how to get a line break?!

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I love the idea and concept! How long does it take you to set up? Seems like a lot of work but it may slap together faster than I am thinking. I dig it.

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
I haven't timed it (like the OZ tent or anything), but if I was taking bets I'd guess about 60 seconds. Backsplash sits on top of fender, bottom shelf slides into slot in bottom of backsplash, sides slip over lip of trailer and tabs in shelf insert into slots, center support just slips over trailer lip, top shelf slides into slots on all three supports and pops down onto tabs (keeping the sides from pivoting out).

Once I'm done, I'll post up a cut diagram (one sheet of ply), maybe a video on setting it up.

-ralph

onelow1ton

Adventurer
I haven't timed it (like the OZ tent or anything), but if I was taking bets I'd guess about 60 seconds. Backsplash sits on top of fender, bottom shelf slides into slot in bottom of backsplash, sides slip over lip of trailer and tabs in shelf insert into slots, center support just slips over trailer lip, top shelf slides into slots on all three supports and pops down onto tabs (keeping the sides from pivoting out).

Once I'm done, I'll post up a cut diagram (one sheet of ply), maybe a video on setting it up.

-ralph

Very cool nice work and in for seeing the cut diagram

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
Thanks everybody! Hopefully can finish up this weekend. Going to round those corners on the shelves. Pics to show stove, sink, etc. when all done. Have begun the cut diagram with SketchUp, so should have that shortly as well. Bar stools...! Maybe a tab/slot design for a pair of those too! :)

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
OK, here are some pics from SketchUp (nearly as many hours as the original layout and build!).
First, an assembled view:
M416 Trailer Kitchen Shelf - Assembled.gif
An overview in 3D:
M416 Trailer Kitchen Plan - 3D.gif
The overall dimensions:
M416 Trailer Kitchen Plan - Overall Dimensions.gif
The detailed dimensions:
M416 Trailer Kitchen Plan - Detailed Dimensions.gif
The rough cuts to make the final cuts more manageable:
M416 Trailer Kitchen Plan - Rough cut.gif
And, finally, some notes.
I didn't show the sink cutout, as your sink will likely be a different size than mine. I also don't show the hole in the backsplash for the propane line.
The backsplash pieces also include a 1/8" piece of hardboard (not shown) sandwiched between them to give the final thickness such that the shelf supports are tight on the trailer. As shown in the pics, these (I thought) would be flipped top/bottom such that either side could be used and whatever holes positioned left/right as you might need. I now realize my error - the slots need to be positioned on the same edge so it can be flipped left/right. Hope that's not confusing.
I think what I'll do is make the actual SketchUp file available to those that request it directly from me, perhaps for a small fee (really small, like $10), but I don't know the protocol/etiquette here yet so let me know if that is a no-no.
And, will get some "action" shots here soon. Still working on the drain line for the sink, faucet, water source, etc. and want you to see a complete setup.
-ralph

Last edited:

profire

What a fantastic idea, I love it. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to make a nice cooking area that is portable and deploys easily. Great job and thanks for posting the plans. I may have to modify it to fit my trailer but not much.

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
Sink assembly

Latest progress...
Sink assembly ready to install:
Trailer Kitchen 005.jpg
Space-saving for packing away:
Trailer Kitchen 009.jpg
Some additional "fitment" notes... my Linex lining was just thick enough to cause some aggravation when storing the pieces in the trailer, so have cut 1/2" off each end (ugh, meant redoing a couple curves and the notches on the top shelf). I haven't updated my drawings, but can if anybody is interested.

-ralph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior