Which options on a 2012 DC Taco?

just eric

Adventurer
So my wife almost has me talked into the DC Taco (she hates the jeep) but I'm not sure which options if any are worth paying for.

I'm leaning towards the Off-road package for the lockers and plastic flooring but am not sure what else would be beneficial. Would I be better off with a non-OR model and adding an ARB locker? What about the long bed versus short bed? Too many options, too little time...

Anyways, thanks for your input.

highspeed

No easy answer bro, it's all dependent on your taste. I have been looking at the 2012 DC Taco also and found that the short bed, TRD off road was the one for me. Only question was should I splurge on the GPS and other electronics or just go basic.
To me the factory locker is a must.
I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you get, very nice rig!
PS - wana trade wives?

joneseyyy

Explorer
If I were spending my money, I'd get the TRD off-road package and call it a day, everything else you may want can likely be had better/cheaper in the aftermarket. I think factory Nav systems really aren't worth the money. Take the $$ you save by skipping the Nav, buy an Ipad 3G, a ram mount, and a couple years of wireless coverage.

devortex

Adventurer
I just bought a '12 DC Off Road. The e-locker was a must. I bargained pretty hard with the dealer and got a huge chunk off the option package. As stated above, I avoided the factory nav and the fancier stereo. I don't need a subwoofer for my music and my smartphone does just fine with navigation. Off road I'll be using GPS anyway. I'll be upgrading to OME on all four corners but should be able to recoup a few $$ selling my basically new Bilstein set-up to someone who has a standard or SR5 model.

austintaco

Explorer
Don't know if its a possibility for the 2nd gen Tacoma, but my 1st gen was not a TRD but it had the locker. I knew I would eventually lift it, and change out everything so that worked for me. The front springs were actually the progressive springs but they had a regular black Tokico shock.

The long bed does make for big truck, but if you plan to sleep back there, you might like the extra length.

just eric

Adventurer
So I spoke with a reputable source regarding the TRD offroad (w/e-locker) versus sport edition (without e-locker) and he said he thinks the offroad has a different axle than the sport and that the offroad axle has had more issues. He said the sport has a stronger axle and when mated with the arb air locker is a stronger, more reliable combination. Has anyone else heard of this? According to my source, the information is not readily available from Toyota and you'd basically have to climb under the rigs to find out...

Newtac11

Observer
Eric,
I don't know exactly what you plan to do with it, but I can explain what I got, why, and what I would have done different...

I bought a 2011 TRD Double Cab V6 Offroad package in Oct? Of 2010. It had the 5 ft bed ( which I believe is the only way the off road model comes with, the sport has the 6 ft bed) because I am 5'10" , the bed is not practical as a sleeping area. It does give me a much better departure angle though.

The 2" tow hitch is rated for about 6500lbs, but the 7 blade electrical connector is in a poor location and needs to be relocated when you can. ( mine broke my third trip out in Colorado.)

I didn't like the idea of pulling the rear apart to install a locker, so the elocker was a plus for me. The locker will only engage in 4 low, but I don't see that as an issue since I'm in 4 low anytime I would need the locker anyway. In 4 hi there is a limited slip button ( I don't remember what they call it, and it is hard to see) it engages the braking system to spread power to all wheels from what I read on it.

I did get the JBL subwoofer with upgraded stereo as I like music...all music, from Bach to DMX, and I like to hear the strings or electronica loud at times. I do however wish I would have added the iPod connection to it. I have my iPad mounted to a support stand and use it constantly as a navigation device/ media center/ Internet/ email center.

The suspension was removed within 5k miles for a Toytec system with add a leafs in back. Not that the stock one was bad, it rode very well. I just wanted to add a couple inches in hight and stiffen it up for weight that is going to be added in the form of custom bumpers, winch, and a few other goodies to add, along with tire clearance. Will upgrade those when my current ones get bald...no sense in wasting good rubber.

The engine is plenty powerful with the truck in stock form, but I keep asking myself if I should have gotten the supercharger version. I hate the idea of tweaking with an engine after purchase...bad things happen to good engines that way. When the truck is loaded , and towing a trailer, I just feel a little underpowered.

Some other things I have noticed:
The cup holders are designed for cans of soda, not the comedically oversized regular soda's from a drive thru.
The fuel sensor is mechanical, not electronic, so it is not entirely accurate, and does not update fuel in my Ultra Gauge.
You can not roll the windows down on the highway. If you think it's windy in a topless Jeep, test drive the Tacoma at 60 with all 4 windows down.
That traction control button I was talking about earlier is tucked under the air con controls, and you have to lean to your right to find it.
It is difficult to find used caps or campers for a 5 foot bed.
I don't have the visibility I was used to with my old 94 wrangler, or the 110 I drove in Iraq.

All that said, I love this truck, and don't regret the purchase one bit. It is the most capable I have ever used in stock form. I only say the negatives so you know what you are getting. I never liked reading all the positive reviews that omit the negatives.

Last edited:

Finlay

Triarius
The Off-Road DC is not available in a long box. If you want a long box OR, you have to get an access cab.

I bought the TRD Sport - the LSD is way more useful for me than the OR open diff and locker is. YMMV, of course. The OR has an 8" rear end, the Sport is 8.4"

Also, the hood scoop makes it go faster. ;-)

In either event, the either Tacoma is an extremely confident and sure footed truck.

Tim A

Adventurer
The OR has an 8" rear end, the Sport is 8.4"

This is true. There are TRD OR owners who've blown their ring and/or pinion gears. The absolute strongest setup may be the SR5/Sport model and ARB air locker.

But then again, that may not be strong enough for what you want to do. Why not get a Dana 60 axle off an F350 because you just never know. :ylsmoke:

just eric

Adventurer
Now you're talking... The old rancher special :sombrero:

I appreciate all of the replies and the valuable information being provided. This is a difficult decision for me because I enjoy my FJ cruiser and the way it has been built so I hate to purchase something less capable or for that matter, just something I will not appreciate as much.

As for the rear end, I don't know that the 0.4" difference will be a big deal but I like to understand what I'm getting prior to shelling out the 30+k these things require.

Thanks again for the input everybody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles