Any Apple gurus here? Need help setting up in-cab itunes wifi share.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I can program a mainframe and finetune a JVM from bytecode as well as optimize batch-level context switching in a Linux Kernel from source, but I cannot get itunes to share its library to locally connected devices.

I am setting up an in-cab wifi network that will serve media to several ipods, ipads and iphones, so there is some overlanding relativity :)

Would anyone be willing to help via a phone call or email?

Pskhaat

Windows machine running iTunes all with H.264 videos in its library.

I would have 4-5 "mobile" devices on an ad-hoc network (from the laptop) consuming said media. Problem is that regardless if it is an ad-hoc network or "true" wifi routed, the whole "home sharing" thing is buggy at best. Sometimes the "Videos" app just inexplicably goes dark and won't accept user input.

As iTouch/iPhone/iPad is pretty HTTP friendly for media delivery, I'm thinking I might as well just setup a quick web server to dump the videos to the devices, but it was so convenient that iTunes supposedly can serve as the "library" it made so much sense, but I'm thinking Apple still has a long way to go on the same quality in the server software space as it does in the consumer side.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I only have experience with Apple equipment, and at least at my house, home sharing works great ... Maybe it is time to upgrade to a mac:Wow1: kidding aside There is an app called Air Video Server that works well for video, I have been able to stream video from my brother's library in Canada to Arizona with the right access. As for audio, I am sure there would be something similar ...

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I knew about Plex but could not for the life of me remember the name when I was searching for links in my first response. Thanks for posting that!
As for Home Sharing, it's deeply flawed, but primarily due to iTunes itself. iTunes is simply terrible at what it does. Apple desperately needs to completely replace it, however, I suspect that it will be something that won't happen until we get to OS11 instead of OS10.X

Have you considered a MacMini with the Lion Server installed? http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/ I might go that direction simply get my devices to talk to each other more reliably. When you set up a Mac, it either works right off the bat, or it takes hours and hours of counter intuitive troubleshooting to solve things. If it was open, like a PC, it would be so much easier to work on, when things don't work easily :)

Anyone have a good link of how to set up a home network with macs, pc's, printers, iPads, media libraries, and four different iPhones, and 4 different iTunes accounts? I've hit my device limit and can't share music/apps/movies from one account to the other, or one device to another if it uses a different primary account. This is WAY harder than it should be!

Pskhaat

FWIW, Remember Apple's mobile devices can consume just about everything over HTTP. I am in the works of setting up a poor man's indexed HTTP server with all my videos/music (non-DRM) and I will just link to it via the mobile browser. When all else fails, fall back to the Unix philosophy. I also stopped buying music from iTunes because of the flawed way it wanted to store and index music at the filesystem level. I can't personally tell the difference between a high bit-rate MP3 and AAC, so I've defaulted my music library to MP3 (or Ogg Vorbis, but that's a different thread).

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I knew about Plex but could not for the life of me remember the name when I was searching for links in my first response. Thanks for posting that!
As for Home Sharing, it's deeply flawed, but primarily due to iTunes itself. iTunes is simply terrible at what it does. Apple desperately needs to completely replace it, however, I suspect that it will be something that won't happen until we get to OS11 instead of OS10.X

Have you considered a MacMini with the Lion Server installed? http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/ I might go that direction simply get my devices to talk to each other more reliably. When you set up a Mac, it either works right off the bat, or it takes hours and hours of counter intuitive troubleshooting to solve things. If it was open, like a PC, it would be so much easier to work on, when things don't work easily :)

Anyone have a good link of how to set up a home network with macs, pc's, printers, iPads, media libraries, and four different iPhones, and 4 different iTunes accounts? I've hit my device limit and can't share music/apps/movies from one account to the other, or one device to another if it uses a different primary account. This is WAY harder than it should be!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94