DIY Flip Pac info

BeardedHombre

Observer
Hey Guys was looking for ANY info on doing a DIY flip pac, ANYTHING would help!!! looking to do this on a friends 86 4runner. would not mind trying to figure something out to do on my Xterra also haha Thanks!!!!

Cheers!!! :bowdown:

billy bee

Adventurer
First a disclaimer...I have not "done" much to my FP, but I have spent hours measuring, cogitating, and doodling alternative solutions to what FRP builds and even what AT specs. I did design and help to manufacture an "aftermarket" fly with windows, drawstring, attachment loops...an overall better solution to the FRP fly. So, these are nothing more than the ramblings of a mad camper.

The bottom line for me is that I am not overly impressed with the durability of the FRP FP. (Never even seen an AT one.) So, I started thinking about reinforcing mine with fiberglass and quickly moved toward reinforcing it with a tube frame skeleton, internal or external.

Quick digression: I bought two trucks to fit my FP. Imagine that. Rather than get the truck I want and finding/buying a FP to fit it, I bought a used FP and then shopped for a truck to fit the FP. In many respects, I feel stuck in a full-size short-bed truck; I think I would prefer a Ford Ranger... But that speaks to the rarity and uniqueness of the fundamental concept and several thoughtfully designed components.

So, I spend lots of time thinking about this: what vehicle would be my first choice and how would I modify my FP to fit it. Here's where I net out (at least today): what makes the FP unique is the hinge, torsion bar, lid, and tent design. Like I said above, I am not overly impressed with the construction of the shell itself. And the tent/pole set-up would work far better if there were a way to create space between the tent and fly (or design a waterproof tent).

I think the hinge design does not really lend itself to installation in a fiberglass shell, either. So, why not build the lower section of the shell out of mild steel tubing, skin it with aluminum, wire it, insulate it, finish the interior and attach the hinges and lid to it. I could make it to fit any truck bed I wanted. I could even start with a lumber or ladder rack as a foundation and build barn doors, rather than clamshell ones, into the tailgate area.

This sounds like a huge project, but the lid, tent, and fly of every FP is the same size. So the only lower shell section needs to be fabricated. And, like I said, a lumber rack or even a steel work shell could make a good starting point.

I have a thread about modifying a Flippac to fit my 85 runner. It's not finished yet, need to get the fiberglass done. But the. We structure is all there. If my buddy and I can ever get a weekend off, we are going to glass it. (he used to build fiberglass speaker boxes and other components, still does it on the side) I still need to design a way to open And close the top, because I don't have a torsion bar, nor do I want to shell out the $450 plus shipping for one from FRP. I have several designs onthe drawing board, but I'd like to pick a few brains of members on here before I dive in. The easy thing to do would be to buy a T-bar, but I obviously don't take the easy route on things.

Good luck.

BeardedHombre

Observer
Thank you for the input! That's kind of what i was thinking about doing as for the tube frame with aluminum skin and fiberglass to reenforce from the inside, might even do the same for the top. I also would like to figure out a design to strengthen the torsion bar hinge also, looking threw threads i see there are problems with the bar snapping and pressure cracks happening in the brackets.I would like to see your ideas for the tent poles. Thanks again!!

Cheers!!

BeardedHombre

Observer
I have a thread about modifying a Flippac to fit my 85 runner. It's not finished yet, need to get the fiberglass done. But the. We structure is all there. If my buddy and I can ever get a weekend off, we are going to glass it. (he used to build fiberglass speaker boxes and other components, still does it on the side) I still need to design a way to open And close the top, because I don't have a torsion bar, nor do I want to shell out the $450 plus shipping for one from FRP. I have several designs onthe drawing board, but I'd like to pick a few brains of members on here before I dive in. The easy thing to do would be to buy a T-bar, but I obviously don't take the easy route on things.

Good luck.
awesome!! that's where i am also. i was thinking of maybe doing a hinge kind of like the use on roof top tents to open and close and maybe having a bar on each side that slides from the top into the base making it 1 piece when deployed, but it seems like that would be a pain when you just want to set up camp quick, plus that's just something else to take up space haha. i don't know still have to hit the drawing boards, but i am getting more ideas with the input!! keep it coming!! post up some pics with the progress!!!(when you are able to work on it again) :wings:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
the shell is a very easy thing to build IMOP,,, its the tent that is hard and expensive if you want it to be nice and well fitting. i was so close to building my own when i found mine for the right price to put on my tacoma. i have a land cruiser that i have been wanting to integrate a flippac into, i think i will go ahead and build my own for it just so i can say i did.

BeardedHombre

Observer
the shell is a very easy thing to build IMOP,,, its the tent that is hard and expensive if you want it to be nice and well fitting. i was so close to building my own when i found mine for the right price to put on my tacoma. i have a land cruiser that i have been wanting to integrate a flippac into, i think i will go ahead and build my own for it just so i can say i did.

that was my next question was where to get the tent at....or where to get a really durable tent fabric

RHINO

Expedition Leader
plenty of places to get fabric with many choices in material. the frame for the tent structure is easy enough with all parts sourced from a marine supplier. i was looking at existing tents that have a shape lending themselves to this project, there are a few out there if you use some imagination.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I have been thinking about a tublar structure attached to my 1st gen 4runner that would act like flip-pac. But make the whole flip camper, sides and back all out of sunbrella material.

2bmaxwell

Getting anything out of Flip PAC even if you are willing to pay the money is like pulling hens teeth. I have been trying to buy a torsion bar for 7 months and I am no closer today then I was 7 months ago. They have poor to no customer service.

It has been a while, wondering if someone managed to build their own FP?

I have been looking into and planning a DIY Wildernest with an existing 'easy-up' tent like this cheap Coleman. I would get a used canopy/topper and cut off the roof, reinforce and add hinges and support poles.

Any thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles