Auxillary fuel tank for 04 xtracab tacoma

bobbyinredwood

Looking for ideas for a 2nd fuel tank for my Tacoma, something that's fairly "bolt in" and doesn't require a ton of modification work. Anyone have a second fuel tank please post up!

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Scott's install in his Tacoma was the inspiration for the second auxiliary tank that I installed on my old truck.

700 Mile Range in a Toyota Tacoma
S-10 auxiliary tank installs

Since these I have installed one in my current vehicle. You will find it about half way down this page:
BLT Offroad Avalanche

Things I have learned: Make the fill easy. Both caps in the same door saves lots of confusion and is much more convenient.
Use high quality braided steel fuel line or take the time to use hard lines. Rubber deteriorates. Long lengths of hose tend to leak with time.
Dakota Digital fuel gauge is the "stuff". It reads out in gallons and is easily calibrated to many different senders. Don't waste time with an analog reading percentages. Gallons is easier to get your mind around.
20 gallons is the sweet spot. More is just too much extra weight. 500-600 miles is pretty comfortable range. That is a point of no return around 250 miles. Not too many places in the USA to do that.

I will never have another rig without one. The extra tank is a luxury to which I have become very attached.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles