Has anyone used wheel lug adapters?

taco007

Observer
I have acquired an awesome expedition trailer that has hubs/wheels for a Jeep. I want to put wheels that will fit on my Tacoma for trail emergencies/spares, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is what I have, looking to make a 6 lug pattern.

IMG00176-20111124-1157.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I had a similar issue when I bought my trailer.

1. you can buy 5 bolt to 6 bolt adaptors. They will be thick and you'll need to make sure that they are "Hub-centric" to fit Toyota rims. You will have to pay attention to the total width of your axle and tires compared to stock.

The adaptors in the picture below are not hub-centric but are 5 to 6 bolt conversion, hence the split construction and thickness
970554740_FGtt9-M.jpg

2. You can buy new 6 bolt drums with the correct 6 bolt Toyota pattern. You'll still need to buy an adaptor to go from lug-centric to hub centric. Spidertrax makes them.

Method #2 is the route that I took
trailer028.jpg

Last edited:

60Dan

Explorer
Would someone please explain what this 'hub-centric' thing means?

I just replaced my 5 lug electric brake hubs with that of a 6 bolt pattern to run my toyota wheels --- see this thread ---> http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/69365-5-lug-to-6-lug-hubs-why-is-this-such-a-pain

Someone mentioned on there that I had a hub centric wheel on a non hub centric drum.
I havent experienced any issues so far, is this something to be concerned about?

Im sure the OP would like to know too (dont want it to seem like im hijacking this thread :p)

Thanks

loren85022

Explorer
5lugs tto 8luigs

I had a pair of spacers made that went from 5lugs to 8 lugs so I'd have the same rims as my e-series van. So far they're doing their job. $80 each delivered.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321078602.512216.jpg

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Hub centric refers to the method of wheel centering. A hub centric rim mounts up with a machined fit to a bump/protrusion from the axle or hub and the lug nuts simply hold the rim in place.

A nut centric system uses the lug nuts to both center and retain the rim. Many nut centric rims will work on a hub centric vehicle. The reverse is not always true.

Examples:
1. My '05 GMC Sierra uses a hub centric system.
2. My '88 Mitsubishi pickup uses a nut centric system.
3. Both have 6-lug wheels.

86JP-CJ7

60Dan, the protrusion is the nub at the end of the axle in the center (or the "center cap" if you will). With a hub centric, the rim fits tightly around that hub and is kept perfectly centered via that tight fit. A non-hub centric axle/rim does not care about that fit and instead centers the wheel via the lug nuts (the nuts usually have a taper to them that seat into the rim, thus centering it).

There will be no protrusions on the spacer. Some vehicles are hub centric from the factory, but then people throw on aftermarket rims with larger center bores (these rims are made to fit many hubs, thus they are made larger). In that case the axle/rim is now non-hub centric, which is fine, as long as the tapered lug nuts seat inside the rim's bolt hole taper.

60Dan

Explorer
60Dan, the protrusion is the nub at the end of the axle in the center (or the "center cap" if you will). With a hub centric, the rim fits tightly around that hub and is kept perfectly centered via that tight fit. A non-hub centric axle/rim does not care about that fit and instead centers the wheel via the lug nuts (the nuts usually have a taper to them that seat into the rim, thus centering it).

There will be no protrusions on the spacer. Some vehicles are hub centric from the factory, but then people throw on aftermarket rims with larger center bores (these rims are made to fit many hubs, thus they are made larger). In that case the axle/rim is now non-hub centric, which is fine, as long as the tapered lug nuts seat inside the rim's bolt hole taper.

Great explanation, thanks! My lug nuts are tapered so I guess im good.

Taco007 - what did you decide in the end?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I've seen them used. After that, I saw a 42" tire bouncing down a road.....
Not recommended, at least by me.

Charlie

almost anything like a spacer can be incorrectly applied or correctly applied but you cannot wholly blame the spacer for an incorrect application

highlandercj-7

Explorer
In the case of going to the toy pattern, I'd just put the 6 lug trailer axle parts on it. It's safe and proablly cheaper. The 6 on 5.5" pattern is standard trailer equiptment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior