Trailer tongue box battery setups?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Group 31 batteries weigh 60 lbs a piece, before installing two do a full power assessment before you install them. 120 lb of battery on the tongue causes a lot of tongue weight.

DSCN2536.jpg

Minimum set up, one battery (sealed AGM), one smart battery charger, one shore plug, two 12 volt outlets.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
We recently completely rewired a Conqueror trailer for a customer:

This is the nose box after we had delved into the electrics to find out what worked and what didn't

This is what it looked like close to completion with a solar controller and battery charger mounted on the back wall and the battery recessed below them. On the front of the nose we mounted a junction box and the breakaway kit for the electric brakes:

CIMG3457.jpg

We added shore plug, and a resettable water resistant fuse box to the side of the nose box:

CIMG3458.jpg

And flexible LED lights for the interior of the main box:

CIMG3461.jpg

Last edited:

Vince1

Adventurer
Mine is kind of pieced together: I replaced batteries in both our Jeeps with Diehard Platinums so I moved the stock batteries to the trailer. Put them in a plastic waterproof tongue box I got from Northern tool with a smart switch between them. Added a batteryminder switch for both solar and shore charging and a flexible solar panel (mounted to the trailer lid with a flat screen TV mount so I can point it in any direction, yet invert it and tie it down for protection on gravel roads). Also added an inverter for those creature comfort items and a marine switch panel on the outside of the box so I can turn on lights or 12V charge stuff. One of the switches turn on a bunch of LEDs I have inside the box so I can find stuff at night (also store a fire extinguisher, road tools, and bear repellent in the box). I also have some exterior lights that help at night while setting up camp and inside the trailer I have a refrigerator and a 25 gallon tank with water pump so I need the juice. I've been out for a week without needing any 120V input so it has worked out well.

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 73
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 84
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 99

JKMikey

Observer
Bump for an old post, but looking to do something in the front of my trailer. Here is what I'd like, but I dont want to mess anything up.

-Charge off the truck
-Shore plug to charge off the house/campground
-Possible solar charger down the road

Going to run a fridge, some LED lights, charging phones, etc.

Just not sure how this would be wired up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier