'12 JKU Suspension Question

Rickybobby12

I just purchased a new 2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon! I've decided on either a AEV 3.5 SC Premium lift or a Rock Krawler 3.5 X Factor Mid lift. I've read great things about both lifts! I'm leaning towards the Rock Krawler lift, but I'm wondering if it's more of a ''crawler" lift rather than an Overland/Expedition lift that can handle being loaded up with lots of gear. Would love to here opinions and/or see pics!!

JPK

Explorer
I have an AEV suspension on my JKUR and it rides, drives and handles better than my wife's essentially stock JKUR. My Jeep corners flatter and more surely than y wife's almost stock Jeep too too, and mine has the 4.5" suspension and 37's.... That is remarkable, imo. Less brake dive too.

My suspension can handle a load too without sagging or the rear feeling too soft.

AEV's springs re all progressive rate, but only some of RK's are progressive while others are linear rate. You ought to check which the 3.5" X Factor comes with.

Not too many of us are King of the Hammers contenders, despite some rock crawling Walter Mitty fantasies. The AEV suspensions work in the real world.

JPK

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I bought a Rock Krawler over the knuckle system a few years back. It was so bad I spent a day modifing it and the Jeep to even get it to turn. When if finally broke it sent my tires in opposite directions. It could have been bad and it was not due to anything I did. Rock Krawler said to buy their expensive upgraded parts to fix it and at the time that was the easy way to go. The welds were fair and overall it was not the high quality stuff I expected. AEV is what I'd buy because Deaver makes progressive coils and I bet thats who makes them. It also uses Bilstein shocks valved specifically for them. Now thats a suspension system.

JKR

I would go with the AEV 3.5 Dualsport SC. I plan on going with it when I read reviews and look at there products. They really put thought into everything they do and it shows.

trailsurfer

Explorer
Go with AEV. You won't be disappointed in the ride quality both on and off road. And, you will get more of your money out of it when you sell your Jeep one day.

reece146

Automotive Artist
As someone that doesn't like progressive coils I don't recommend that you make your decision based solely on this point.

Last edited:

Repo503

Adventurer
Im running the aev 3.5 on 35 inch MTRKs. I think its great, ride is excellent, handles great. I would do it again if I bought another Jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles