RMP&Os 1977 Patrol Ute build for overlanding

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Here are the shocks I think I am going to use in the Ute....

d_5404-01.jpg

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/BBCS-Shocks-p-84.html

And the steering stabilizer....

130003-1-KIT-400.jpg

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Trail-Gear-Steering-Stabilizer-Kit-p-996.html

Last bit, I will be using the RuffStuff FJ40/60 cut & turn perch on the front axle. This because on the Nissan axle it is the same problem with SOA and C&T, ie the pumpkin being offset and in the way of the spring location. I will probably have to modify the perch kit a bit to make it work but no worries on that.

I think I already mentioned it but....the leaf springs I am using are the stock ones that came out of my 83 SWB Patrol years ago. They are in great condition, you can still see the part numbers on them! Both F&R are a 3-leaf pack. The fronts are kind of short but the rears are nice and long. I also have an OME FJ60 HD rear leaf pack and a set of OME front AAL. So I have some springs I can play around with, cut up and add to the 83 Patrol leaf pack to get it just how I want in terms of height, ride, ect.

cheers

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Soon this build will see some life!

I have changed directions a little bit and am not so sure I will take the build all the way to turn key done. However I am doing a lot to it.

I just got the truck in the shop that is donating the axle housings for this build. So once that truck is all broke down it will be time to bring the Ute into the shop and begin work on the chassis and suspension.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Got the 84 Patrol in the shop (donating axle housings) and the motor all pulled and mounted up to a stand. So I am ready to start gutting the 84 Patrol now. Already cut most of the body off the front of it. Should make quick work of it with a half case of beers, the sawzall and some good loud music!

Picture of pulling the motor....

main.php

main.php

and the 84 ready to be chopped up into pieces!

main.php

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Start....

main.php

Finish....

main.php

Found this nasty looking Aussie spider under the hardtop, or what is left of him that is...

main.php

Glad this thing is long dead...

main.php

More Aussie nasties....

main.php

That was yesterdays work, today I start cutting up the 84 Patrol.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
The 84 MK Patrol, dubbed "The Silver Bullet" by some friends, is now officially DEAD!

main.php

main.php

main.php

I took my time killing it since I wanted to save some items. I have a few boxes of stuff I kept for spare parts on my 83 Patrol or for using on the Ute build. I kept the windshield from the 84, the doors, some electrical stuff, pedal assembly and steering column, suspension stuff, hardtop, tailgate, some dash stuff, seats and not much else. The rest of the truck and frame were hacked up and put in a pile in the yard! Off to the scrapper with it.

Next up, moving the Ute into the shop to start in on the build! About time!! :rolleyes:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Interesting project! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Thanks!

The Ute is in the shop. :ylsmoke:

Time to tear the body off it, pull the axles and start in on the build! About time!!

Here is what is left of the 84 patrol that is getting scrapped. I think my buddy might use the fuel tank as an aux tank under his 80-series Cruiser. ;)

main.php

And the Ute in the shop. Damn small shop I know but no problems for me, I am used to working in small spaces.

main.php

Not much to strip but keeping some of this, may give some of it away to other Patrol owners and will chuck some in the trash. Plenty of room for the diesel! :)

main.php

And now....off into the shop to play.

Cheers

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Now this is a 'build thread' :)

I've been following your build from the sidelines for a while...can't wait to see the finished product, lots of work but good stuff!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
The Ute is now torn down....

main.php

main.php

main.php

Once the chassis was clean I got busy with the torch....

main.php

main.php

:)

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
More of the same but the frame is getting closer to being ready for building...

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

pretty dirty work... :smilies27

main.php

Cheers

jpvm

Explorer
Wow , great Job man , this will be a classic one... when are you importing your Y60 ???

like this one from a local wheeler that enjoys his high roof Safari Y60 (diesel engined)

IMG_7263.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Wow , great Job man , this will be a classic one... when are you importing your Y60 ???

like this one from a local wheeler that enjoys his high roof Safari Y60 (diesel engined)

Not going to import anymore, done with that. Way way to expensive and a lot better options out there. It used to be at least a bit reasonable price wise to import but that has changed here in the US. While I love the TD42 and most things Nissan Patrol it is just not worth the expense in my opinion. And it is not just the initial expense to import, if you own a vehicle never sold in the US it is expensive to maintain it too! Now for $2-4k (the cost to ship a truck here) I can get turn key 4.8 to 6.0 v8's ready to go with a 3-wire hook up. Since I am a Chevy guy too and owned lot's of Chevies I got no problem dropping a Chevy motor + trans into a Patrol. Not to mention with a Chevy engine you can walk into any auto parts store in the US and buy just about anything, such as a $10 thermostat.

Now perhaps someday I might import a Y60 from Canada since that won't cost near as much as from overseas. I might even go as far as to import a classic Patrol from Colombia since they have models not sold here in the USA and I could easily build it up with some domestic US stuff. But beyond something like that I won't be importing anymore. Been doing it for over 10yrs and am sick of the BS (and $$$) it now takes to get something into the US. Just a quick example, I imported the Ute from NZ about 10yrs ago for $2500 all up, all up meaning all expenses. I also picked it up myself in the port. Nowdays I can't even enter the port and have to pay somebody around $600 just to go into the port and remove my vehicle for me. Sea freight is also about double nowdays. It is also pretty likely customs will slap a $500+ x-ray fee on to all the other expenses. My 84 Patrol (now dead & seen cut up above) that I imported for the engine last June really made me realize I don't like importing anymore! Not only is it a huge expense now, it is a HUGE hassle too! Not worth it to me anymore when I can just slap a very nice v8 in a truck for way less money. Thank you HLS for making my hobby to expensive! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne