RMP&Os 1977 Patrol Ute build for overlanding

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Tore the Scout diesel down a bit for parts. I am off to the machine shop shortly to drop the Utes engine + another Patrol engine off.

10417486_725723880856444_3393430830419666194_n.jpg

10418932_725724230856409_6156720219325714197_n.jpg

10805602_725724264189739_1356490957468158919_n.jpg

1503533_725724410856391_2143914115220706411_n.jpg

10653697_725724594189706_2281716533568065220_n.jpg

1507779_725724967523002_5729954246751954450_n.jpg

10450181_725725204189645_3410176978213292741_n.jpg

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Well, I guess I didn't update this after my last post.

So I took the SD33 N/A from my 83 Patrol to the machine shop, right around Christmas Eve. I gave them the real nice TD injection pump from Spain along with an original turbo I got nearly 10yrs ago from New Zealand. I asked them to send the IP, injectors and turbo to a shop in SLC that came highly recommend to me b a buddy who is a diesel mechanic. I gave them a full rebuild kit, bottom end, new pistons, rods, bearings, everything including an NOS Nissan head gasket. I also got my hands on some other NOS Nissan parts for the engine that went with it too. As pictured above I also sent with it all the Scout SD33T head since it is supposed to be slightly different over the N/A one. I asked them to call me if the block didn't have the oil jets and I would get them the Scout block, well no call from them yet.

I have not heard back from them yet, was out of town for 3-weeks and also basically unavailable 3-weeks prior to that. Think I will give the a call tomorrow. Getting excited actually now that it must be getting closer to being done. Once back in my hands I can mount the new TD to the 5spd and t-case and fit it to the frame and build my suspension. That for me is really exciting.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
That's good news! What's your target timeline to get it running and back on the road?

Indeed! Call to them today was not all that great though. Bad news is the Scout head is toast, cracked badly. They sent off the IP, injectors and turbo to SLC but have not heard back yet. They have not touched the diesel otherwise but plan to get the head off on Mondayish and find out if it is trashed too. Really hoping not, I got one more as a spare but do not know condition. A new head will be difficult to locate and run me $1000+, do not want to have to do that.

They are also doing a P engine for me for a 66 Patrol. That is almost done and came back in decent shape. No cracks or other probs. Head was good enough to just do a re-fresh on, valve grind, ect.

No timeline for getting the truck on the road. I would like to see it as a rolling chassis by late summer though. That will get me all the mechanicals done which is what I am really focusing on at this time. After that, maybe a year or two more to do body, beds, overland gear, and other stuff. Lot's and lot's of body work in this truck.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Seems like most of the photos you've posted previously are gone. What's up with that?

I have been using facebook to host my pics for a few years now. It is less than ideal.

Bummer! Bad news. SD33T injection pump from Spain is shot. Housing is cracked. Plungers bad and few other things. Going to send off the 2nd one I have but looks like I need a rebuild on one of these pumps. That sucks as it is not cheap at all. Oh well, guess this truck gets a WHOLE NEW motor!

Good news is that the N/A head so far has checked out ok. They magnafluxed it today and it is good there. Tomorrow morning they are pressure testing it to make sure it is 100% good to go. Really surprised as I have got the N/A motor hot a few times. And a hot SD33 usually leads to a cracked head. It was a new from Nissan head though about 5,000 miles ago at most and about 15 or so year ago.

Here is to hoping the crank is good, I am sure the block is, still don't know if it has oil jets though.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Alrighty, talked to the injection shop. Probs with the pump are where it mounts to the engine is a bushing. This is all auged out and egg shaped, that makes the case toast. So it is not cracked but still toast. Barrel and plungers are also shot along with some springs. I got a spare TD pump I am gong to send them next week. Hoping that solves the issue with the case. New barrel and plungers are not all that expensive. They were quoting nearly $1000 for these parts in their price quote which was $2900. Still going to be hard on the wallet but better than $2900 before parts! Injectors not to bad but full rebuild on all six is only $250, that is great! No word on turbo yet but not much to a turbo so that shouldn't be to bad.

Have not found out if the head came back ok after pressure test but I am guessing it did.

Will have a lump of cash into the engine but it will be brand new, ready to go for hundreds of thousands of miles and I am not cutting any corners. Doing it up right!

I am thinking it will still be 2-3 months before it is all said and done and back here at my place. I am ok with that, just want it done right the first time and be ready to rock and roll.

So not only will this be the ONLY vintage Patrol pickup in the USA with a turbo diesel, it will have a brand new motor. :)

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Super stoked! Got great news this morning from the machine shop.

Crank is so good it just needs a polish. Head is so good it just needs valve seats. Block has oil jets! Turbo only going to be $385 to rebuild. Since I supplied parts for the rebuild, won't have a lot of cash into the machine shop.

Real happy about all that. Looks like the IP is my only drama in the whole engine rebuild.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Stoked again!

Sent my 2nd IP from Europe off to the IP shop last week. This was the cheaper 2nd hand of the two and looked a lot worse from the outside. Well, turns out it is in better shape! Case on it is fine. All I need to order are barrels and plungers for the IP. Ordering those directly from Japan myself and then sending to the IP shop.

Happy about that for sure. Glad I took the time to round up all parts before hand too. If all I have to order in the whole thing is some injector barrels and plungers I am super stoked. I have spread the expense of this out too over six months or more which works out good since this truck is not my only project.

Looking forward to having a brand new TD to mate to the new 5spd + new t-case and drop into the chassis. Oh and I shouldn't forget a PTO box too that is fully rebuilt and ready to drive a fully rebuilt Nissan PTO winch. Super sweet!

Cheers

Looking forward to having a brand new TD to mate to the new 5spd + new t-case and drop into the chassis. Oh and I shouldn't forget a PTO box too that is fully rebuilt and ready to drive a fully rebuilt Nissan PTO winch. Super sweet!

Cheers
Isn't it great to drive around something that looks old but is completely new underneath. There's a toughness about the older iron that you can't buy new and the feeling is only made better when it is all new.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I came to realize recently (actually just got reminded) I have entirely to much Patrol stuff! A large majority of my 2,200sqft shop is full of this stuff. My 1,000sqft shop/storage shed is full too. I have a 20ftx12ft tent (garage in a box) that is full to the max too. And there is even more! Getting ready to tear more stuff down for resto and I don't have a good place to put it. Just to give you an idea....

1983 Patrol, just a shell so it's parts are in the shop
1984 Patrol, cut it up and sacrapped what was to rusty to save but at least 60% of the truck is here in parts
1977 Patrol, the Ute, it's parts are in the shop
1968 Patrol, future resto project, it's parts are in the shop
1967 Patrol, its parts are in the shop and tent. It has been torn down to a rolling chassis
1964 Patrol, current resto project, torn down to a rolling chassis, it's parts are in the shop/tent
1966 Patrol, it is at the upholstery shop but some of it's parts are in the shop
1966 Patrol, parts truck for the 66 above, still sitting in one pice but soon to be torn down to nothing
1964 Patrol, full resto underway, it has a HUGE amount of parts, stored in my shop

On top of this we have parts for my 91 Cruiser and a 1988 FJ62 Cruiser. This is a ton of stuff!! So I decided before I do anymore tearing down I need more space. Last two days I built a big 12ftx2ftx6ft shelf in the shop. Already have one like it that is over 16ft long. Bought a whole bunch of those plastic storage tubs. Parts being packed into these and stored on the shelf. Helping a lot to condense it all and get a bit more organize.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Here is what I am thinking of doing to the Ute's cab. Gives more leg room in the cab and would allow for a bigger guy to drive this truck. Been thinking about stretching the cab for a good number of years now.

11010629_773137209448444_3507754484895576458_n.jpg

10347241_773137236115108_6888337895139955447_n.jpg

Got to do a ton of body work ot the cab anyways, what's a bit more!?

Cheers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94