70 C-20 4x4 Suburban Father/Son project

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Looks great Nick! I don’t know who will appreciate that truck more when you are done, Lance, you or me! :sombrero: Great choice on the starter motor too. I know a guy that has that same part number Denso on a TBI 5.7L in an ’89 Suburban as well as a ’78 K10 with an 8.1L. Last starter motor you’ll ever buy. The ring gear will wear out long before the starter motor ever dies…guaranteed. They even sound cool when spinning the engine over.

NOIBN

Observer
Can't wait to see this thing finished

Me too!!

Lots of GREAT work on this buggy, Nick! Looking forward to more updates.

Todd Z.

Thanks Todd!!

Looks great Nick! I don’t know who will appreciate that truck more when you are done, Lance, you or me! :sombrero:

Thanks Larry.

Probably him by default, followed by me because we won't be pulling 10 mile long hills at 31mph anymore. I never tuned the carburetor on this thing, and it had issues that needed attention.

The long block in this thing is a 300hp 350 that they offered in the mid 90's. I think it is what became the 330hp motor after the Vortec heads were invented. The 300hp motors had a head based on an iron L98 casting, so they flow ok, but they will never win a flow bench competition (which is a good thing when running TBI on them). It has a pretty good sized cam in it in the gross lift and lobe C/L dimensions. This is where TBI's don't play well. I just ordered another prom that takes a bunch more fuel out of the program. The second one was a huge improvement, but it still is putting way too much fuel in it at idle (for sure) and probably off-idle as well. The funny thing is, even with the restrictive TBI intake and TBI itself on it, it feels so much stronger than it ever did before with any of the ill-tuned carb(s) on it. It never stands a chance of making the 300hp it was rated at, but it feels like it makes twice as much (or more) than it did before. It runs smooth, idles smooth, makes smooth power as well. Good downshift authority. Once I get the nuances taken care of it should be a nice (well, maybe just "nicer") truck.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
As is my norm I can't wait for a project to be "finished" before getting in the dirt...mainly because I never believe they are ever finished and because there are just many cool places to go to wait too long..

And it has been a long long couple months to have my burb down...but well worth it.
Even through we still have some tuning to do the thing runs so well it is like a stock early 90's burb. And that is a great complement to Nick that his work makes the truck drive like it is right off a showroom floor.
Nick is a bit of a worry wort so our first outing had to be fairly close to town but at least we got into a nice variety of trail conditions as we headed out east of Phoenix to play.

Airing down is so always good idea and with my Extreme Outback setup it will be more of a pleasure to air up again. The Extreme Outback stuff has been on all my rigs. Now full disclosure I used to be sponsored by them but I paid full boat for this High Output compressor and tank and will again on every rig in the future. Just great stuff with great people backing it up.
Here are our rigs getting ready to air down in the parking lot where all the buggy guys park their trailers.
KIMG0205.jpg

Nick wanted me running in full diagnostic mode so we would know what to do for the next chip burn.
Of course my console is still in temp/trial mode and the laptop stand isn't built but why would that stop me :)
KIMG0206.jpg

Easy start to the day just keeping an eye out for high speed oncoming side by sides, atvs, motos, trucks and who knows what else.
KIMG0207.jpg

Last edited:

1leglance

Getting a little more interesting with some rocks, gravel and twisty areas of the trail.
KIMG0209.jpg

Watch the speed around corners as you never know what you might bonk into.
KIMG0210.jpg

Or what interesting things might be written on the rocks...nothing ancient here, just a friendly comment about current mine claims.
KIMG0213.jpg

This was fresh enough to get a little beef jerky off of for lunch....but the smell was a bit strong so back into the rigs and down the trail we went.
KIMG0215.jpg

I am not a rockcrawler by nature but if there is something cool worth seeing I don't mind taking on a challenge. However my goal is to to keep the gear from getting broken, and not just because I don't want Nick to have to work on my toys anymore.
KIMG0217.jpg

Last edited:

1leglance

And this was the cool stuff worth seeing...some really neat mining operations from back in the day. These guys knew how to pick a spot to setup.
KIMG0219.jpg

Local stone and much muscle went into putting this place together. Impressive.
KIMG0223.jpg

Iron rods through the walls with cool nuts on the ends to hold the smelter building together.
And you could still see lots of melted slag on the walls.
KIMG0224.jpg

KIMG0227.jpg

Not sure where the bricks were made but the arch work was nice and it has held up to the test of time.
KIMG0228.jpg

I hiked up the wash to check out the spring where the water for this operation came from. Pretty view back to the ruins. Of course the guys who built all this were not about the scenery. Just getting the ore crushed, smelted and into a form that resulted in money in the bank.
This was a silver operation if I remember right, one of the bazillion mines in the desert southwest and nice to not find one with graffiti or trash everywhere.
KIMG0230.jpg

Last edited:

1leglance

Since the rig ran so well on its first outing we figured we ought to head out of town and play a bit for Black Friday and the Saturday after...beats the crowds any day.

Some strange white mineral deposit from something marked on an old map as a "deep well", the families had fun climbing all over it.
KIMG0230.jpg

King of Arizona mine and surrounding mines are some neat places to check out. A bunch of work to get the good stuff out of the ground back in the day.
KIMG0242.jpg

Army proving grounds where live fire happens. Lucky for us nothing going on with the holiday weekend so we could cross over to get to asphalt. At least we hoped there was nothing since the gates were open and no flags flying.
KIMG0244.jpg

Strange rock hill, really looked out of place. And I parked here at the military signage/gate to make sure we all agreed that it was ok to cross. Nothing like being the guy in front when you aren't sure if the artillery range is live :)
KIMG0245.jpg

We found ourselves in Fort Horn, this is one of the place Gen Patton did his desert training in prep for taking on the Germans in Africa. The rocks are laid out where the huts and roads were. Very cool to imagine what it was like in the 40's.
KIMG0246.jpg

Monument to the men who died out here learning that you need more than a quart of water a day to survive in the desert...hey remember this is the same time in history when folks would go on a picnic to watch atomic bomb testing.
Close up on the stone on the shrine.
KIMG0247.jpg

KIMG0248.jpg

All in all I am super happy with all the hard work Nick put into my rig. Still a few things to do but it runs sooo much better and unlike past rigs I don't ever catch myself thinking about replacing it with something else.
Old iron is a joy to see in the driveway, a blast to drive and my entire family is happy with the rig. It has plenty of room to sleep inside and all the ability to go down a trail or down a highway that I could want.

busbart

Observer
Wauw, I like your project and the things you do with it!

I wish I could find a couple of persons over here with the same interests, It's just Sooo much better to share such things!
And I really like the nature you have there.

Continue your rapports and pic's! :drool:

mkitchen

Explorer
THAT'S IT, STOP IT!

You are getting way too far ahead of Reuben's updates that I am going to be ashamed to travel with you. Geez, I am all excited about putting in a bigger alternator and yours looks like you pulled off the radiator cap and rolled a new truck under it.
I better wrap this up before I get tears on my keyboard.

That KOFA looks pretty neat, I am going to have to check it out. How about we do a trip along the El Camino Del Diablo here pretty soon? Then I can raise my hood and show you my neat, new alternator. Really though, you two are doing what looks like a great job on the burb.
Mikey

1leglance

Thanks for the comments guys...
All the kudos go to Nick-NOIBN for all the hard work....I am the walking wallet/comic relief/sidekick who actually owns the rig :)

Basically if you look around the thing and say "oh that is nice" Nick did it
If you tilt your head to the side and say "what the F" then it is my work :)

Mikey I think you should could catch us pretty quick if you just find someone to put in about 350 hrs in less than 3 months and spend about $10k in parts and labor....no biggie :)
And in all honesty I would do it all again in a heartbeat...Nick maybe not but me oh sure.
The thing just runs smooth as silk, crawls over stuff with ease (and the front/rear lockers are not even hooked up yet) and keeps a smile on my face.

Now if I could just drag both our burbs to Baja it would be a top shelf time...but a certain orange burb is scared of south of the border adventure!

mkitchen

Explorer
I wouldn't mind going south

In fact, I fully plan on going to Mexico in the near future. Not sure if it will be in the Toyota or the Ford. That would depend on whether or not the dogs go with us.
Anyhow, count me in for such a trip if work allows or wait till 4/2016 when I retire.
Mikey

synonymous

Beautiful rig and great build story!! I've seen that vehicle once or twice on the road, which makes sense since I live right down the street at 16th and Thomas. Look forward to running into you out on the trail some day.

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Lance and Nick....thought about you guys this weekend and the expo. That's where I usually get my annual conversation with Nick and see Lance from afar as he talks with someone I do not know. :) I did not make it to expo this year. Was south of the border just a little ways.
Anyway, the work you have done is fantastic. Knowing how well Nicks burb is done I am sure yours is very nice. Nick is an artist/genius!

Keep posting updates!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne