70 C-20 4x4 Suburban Father/Son project

matt s

Explorer
One other tip I didn't send in my pm. You can use the evap line as the return line for the tank. Just be sure to replace all the soft line sections (there are several along the frame, for expansion I think) with new line that is diesel rated. This saves a lot of pluming work.

8-Lug

Great trip and nice work there. I really like the look of your suburban. I have one also but have no funds and to much other stuff going on to get to it. I keep checking here and the 67-72 website for those updated photos of the work done to yours. How about it?
Here is mine when I got it. It's been covered for close to two years now, sadly.
108_2780.jpg

busbart

Observer
Hi 1leglance,

It might be off topic, (don't hope so) I really like what you're doing!
I wish we had these beautiful deserts over here! Though I've been in the Libian desert, seen the "Waw a Namus" (local vulcan over there:smiley_drive:) Done that with a '77 Dodge W200.
And there is my point, I still like to do such a thing, but I don't know many people who do the same thing with such kind of vehicle, do you, or anyone here?
if anyone knows of a post like 1leglance's, and that might involve one of these earlier Dodges (not the '90's and younger) I am really interested, so please mention it to me?

keep this old iron going strong!!!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Big Blue Burb has been hanging out at Nick-mosesburb's house for a couple months.
One of those "out of sight, out of mind" things for me...for Nick more of a stray animal you can't get to stop coming by :)
But last night was a big milestone in that we drove it around a bit and I was IMPRESSED. Sure I knew adding TBI would be nice, and I knew Nick would do his usual best work but actually riding in the rig was way cool.

So since it has been about a year since I updated this thread I figured I would add some history..
The rig has been getting out and playing in the dirt plenty..

North rim of the Grand Canyon
IMG_0137.JPG

A comfy place to sleep on the trail for my wife & I
IMG_0179.JPG

And now let's see if we can't start to tell the story of the last couple of months...

1leglance

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics
KIMG0008.jpg

So the day before my rig was supposed to go to Nicks for all this work my younger son drove it to school....and got it towed.
$200 later and a ton of rushing around and we get it out of the yard...good lesson for him and not too big a hit to his savings

KIMG0007.jpg

Yes there is a light coming out of my grill....very strange things happen at Nicks house.

KIMG0011.jpg

Sometimes you wonder about your friends...especially if they have to but in a ton of work to defunk your project before they can start on the real fun. Lucky for me Nick didn't need an intervention, he was just making sure we had plenty of hood clearance for all the stuff he wanted to stuff in.

1leglance

KIMG0016.jpg

So there are many elements of this build that involved me telling Nick "good enough" and him having to grumble something along the lines of "it's not my truck"
Not that I don't think everything he has done has been beyond what I would do....it just isn't all up to HIS norms :)
I will say I am very happy with my huge AC condensor, big ol' trans cooler and even a power steering cooler he crammed in front of my core support.
It did require a bit of custom work to the hood latch and a bit of hammer work on the core support.

KIMG0006.jpg

These same 2 fans have been doing an amazing job on my lowered 72 C-10 during a blazing summer, running full AC and sitting in killer traffic.
They should be good for slow crawling on summer trail runs where you can generate some serious engine/trans temps.

KIMG0007.jpg

Now there were some parts of this project Nick didn't want ANY part of...and my new dual spotlights highlight the fun I got to have. I am pretty sure Nick banged his head on the inside handles enough to want to rip them off my rig. But I sure love'em.
And cool thing is Unity still makes everything you could want, including some seriously bright replacement bulbs I can't wait to play with.
I have a pair of vintage correct lights but these more modern ones were in much better shape so in they went.
And I will admit drilling the holes in freshly painted A pillars was one of the hardest things I have done on this rig :)

1leglance

KIMG0022.jpg

Part of the conversion to fuel injection was a new tank...well new old tank. This is a 40 gal out of an 87 Burb with the inlet welded in the right spot.
New sender and pump installed and we were ready to trail a long way down the trail.
Oh and in case anyone was wondering about those long hoses...that is part of the reason I really enjoy working with Nick on projects. He thinks about things like having to drop the tank down the road...me I just want to slap it together and go play.

KIMG0140.jpg

Of course things will be much more tiddy when all said and done but I had to snap a pic of the new fuse block. It was impressive to see how much work Nick put into changing things and improving what I thought was "good enough". But now that I understand the wiring layout and cleanness I like it.

KIMG0139.jpg

I will try to get a better shot of the cluster this weekend. But you can still tell how cleaned up and nice this is. Nick even managed to fit in a special dual battery gauge I bought in Australia. It is a digital that looks analog and has a bunch of features I have not played with yet. But nice thing is I always know the status of both of my batteries.
There is also an Air Pressure gauge for the on board air/lockers.

KIMG0138.jpg

This prototype version 16 or something of my center console. I wanted something that had the same rounded edged as our trucks. Had plenty of storage and filled the space.
I plan to cover it with grey vinyl to match the seats. It will have 2 dual USB ports, locker air switches x2 and a dual cig lighter port for the fridge & laptop (for navigation).
I still have to put together my laptop stand over this mess.
Oh and that switch panel will control all kinds of things...things that give Nick more wiring worries :)

1leglance

KIMG0136.jpg

This gives a better idea of all the subtle stuff that was built...dual battery trays, with a solar controller on the aux side. AC setup with in dash and rear evap's and plenty more I can't think of but will make a big difference in the long run.

KIMG0135.jpg

Lots of good quality OEM GM parts means I will be able to go in just about anywhere and say I am running an 87 burb and get what I need to get back on the road. Makes a difference in rural USA or Baja Mexico.

KIMG0134.jpg

I really really need to capture a better image of the electrical panel I have here. Recently I was checking out some ambulances at a local junkyard and I think I have a way cleaner and better setup. Of course I also know Nick will chop off my other leg if I ever hack into this :)

More pics to come this weekend when we get the big blue burb on the road and wrap up some more inside stuff.

mkitchen

Explorer
No Fair!

You two are way ahead of me. I am going to have to get back to work on Reuben.
Lance, your Burb is really looking good. It is obvious that you and Nick have put a lot of time and thought into all the up-grades. Your suburban is a great vehicle to start with, it is such a classic and will never go out of style.
Can't wait to get out with you guys again. Hopefully before the next Expo.
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz