Vintage Rover pics

repete

Observer
100_3136.JPG

My Series helping me tip the walls on my shop. Look closely AkaRover, that A frame used to be your old engine hoist!

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Those tall and skinny Swampers look perfect on that truck. That Awesome "109" is owned by a guy here in Oregon isn't it??? I recognize it (pretty hard to NOT recognize it isn't it ;) ) It's such a neat rig aye.

Cheers

Dave

DSC_6982.JPG

That series one now lives in Maine. (2011 winter romp pic)

From Tigard, eh? I grew up there. In fact my parents still live there, you may have seen my dad cruising around in a beat up pastel green RHD 109.

-Jeff

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
View attachment 78066

From Tigard, eh? I grew up there. In fact my parents still live there, you may have seen my dad cruising around in a beat up pastel green RHD 109.

-Jeff
HA! If it's the truck I'm thinking of, I just saw it the other day I think (your dad's RHD). Small world aye. Did that 109 with the fabbed bed get sold??? cause I may be thinking of a different truck (although not likely) and/or I may just not be able to tell how old some of the pics I have seen of it floating around are, I thought a guy assosciated with Pangolin 4wd built it down near Eugene/Springfield.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

JSBriggs

Adventurer
I think thats a Timm Cooper built rig?

Yea, Timm built it, sold it to Ike, then Ike sold it to a guy in Maine.

Here is a pic of my dads 109, built by Dennis Bell. As i recall it was originally a CKD out of South Africa. Its a little rough around the edges (beat to hell).

-Jeff

Attachments

• Bell 109.JPG
    Bell 109.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 17

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Yea, Timm built it, sold it to Ike, then Ike sold it to a guy in Maine.

Here is a pic of my dads 109, built by Dennis Bell. As i recall it was originally a CKD out of South Africa. Its a little rough around the edges (beat to hell).

-Jeff
Yep, that is indeed your dad and his rig I see around quite often... I live right by Tiedemen and Tigard St. by the rail road tracks (kinda by Fowler Middle School and on Fano Creek) and I always see him coming off of Greenburg towards my house (heading SE) all the time. Am I remembering correctly I thought I'd seen him pulling a rather *ahem* LARGE trailer for being behind a Rover (although I have no idea what's under the hood, or what the drivetrain/axles are aye)... It looked like it was pulling it OK though I thought. Maybe it was a Boat on a trailer??? Best part is I always give him a big thumbs up from my 1st Gen 4Runner and I think he's confused as to why a Toyota guy is so excited to see a series Rover HAHAHAHAHA. Such a small world aye.

Aha! so I was thinking of the same truck. Thanks for clearing that up mate. I always really loved that rig. Sorry to hear it's no longer around but if Pangolin and Timm are still up to their old tricks I'll bet Tim's in a really neat Rover again. I saw on Ike's site that there was a 109 Diesel Wagon in his build-up page that's new since the last time I was there...

Cheers

DAve

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Here is a pic from Wally Byam's book Trailer Travel. The photo caption is "Dusty Trail To Wajir" in Northern Kenya.

-Jeff

Attachments

• land rover airstream.jpg
    land rover airstream.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 522

DividingCreek

Explorer
Here is a pic from Wally Byam's book Trailer Travel. The photo caption is "Dusty Trail To Wajir" in Northern Kenya.

-Jeff

thats awesome !

Back in the 70's we used to pull the doors off the 71 2a 88 and pull a hay rake with it while dad baled with the tractor got to try and find some of those old pictures.

Last edited:

Michele

Observer
That Awesome "109" is owned by a guy here in Oregon isn't it??? I recognize it (pretty hard to NOT recognize it isn't it ) It's such a neat rig aye.
Cheers
Dave

-Jeff

That awesome 109" is a 107".
Thanks for the pic, I love that vehicle.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
That awesome 109" is a 107".
Thanks for the pic, I love that vehicle.

Interesting fact, Is that because he cut it down or is that an actual Rover model like the 109??? I've never heard that before. And yeah, I LOVE that truck. I like all the trucks Pangolin has had over the years, they tend to keep trucks in their "utilitarian state" with upgrades where it counts aye. I like the skinny tire trzactor look personly so that's why I like Ike's stuff so much.

thats awesome !

Back in the 70's we used to pull the doors off the 71 2a 88 and pull a hay rake with it while dad baled with the tractor got to try and find some of those old pictures.
That is what they were made for aye... Last time (actually every time) we were in Scotland visiting family my dad and I went out with a family friend and helped him shore up his paddocks for his sheep. I got to drive an old 109 clapped out as can be but still running well. It was super fun and I think the guy might have thought me a bit strange seeing as I was "enjoying physical labor" but in reality I was just enjoying the old Rover ;) ... Old Rovers in Englad are like old Jeeps here except we never used them as farm impliments QUITE to the extent the english did aye :D

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

DividingCreek

Explorer
Interesting fact, Is that because he cut it down or is that an actual Rover model like the 109??? I've never heard that before. And yeah, I LOVE that truck. I like all the trucks Pangolin has had over the years, they tend to keep trucks in their "utilitarian state" with upgrades where it counts aye. I like the skinny tire trzactor look personly so that's why I like Ike's stuff so much.

That is what they were made for aye... Last time (actually every time) we were in Scotland visiting family my dad and I went out with a family friend and helped him shore up his paddocks for his sheep. I got to drive an old 109 clapped out as can be but still running well. It was super fun and I think the guy might have thought me a bit strange seeing as I was "enjoying physical labor" but in reality I was just enjoying the old Rover ;) ... Old Rovers in Englad are like old Jeeps here except we never used them as farm impliments QUITE to the extent the english did aye :D

Cheers

Dave

My last trip to Inverness we had a Conniston td5 110. Made tooling around Loch Ness and the Highlands a blast.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
The series1 5 door wagons and some pickups are 107", but that series1 pickup is a factory 109" wheelbase.

-Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94