Attaching things to plastic dashboard

Expedition Leader
When it's time to mount something to the dash I do miss the days of metal dashboards.

My main expo vehicle has a metal dash, but I don't want to drill holes in that so I use the roll cage, the rear-view mirror mount and the Tuffy console to mount electronic equipment.

On my other truck with a plastic interior, I use self-tapping or sheet metal screws. I tend to keep my trucks for a long long time so I don't care about putting holes in a plastic dash.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I super glued one side of heavy duty Velcro to the plastic and did the same with the object being attached. Super secure and you can remove it when necessary. Don't plan on removing the side on the plastic though. It's on.

sniderexciderr

Observer
velcro if its not too heavy. i think i might just cover the whole interior with fuzzy velcro and all my gear with the other side that way i can just stick stuff anywhere i want.

4xdog

Explorer
You want VHB tape Youll prolly have to special order it and its kinda spendy but you can mount anything (regardless of size) with it.

X2 on 3M VHB (very high bond) double-sided tape. That stuff is STRONG. Probably higher strength than self-tapping screws in thin plastic, and avoids drilling holes in the dash. It ain't your normal double-sided tape.

Don

Last edited:

colodak

Adventurer
both of the rear spoilers on my wife's Audi are attached with 3M doublesided tape. I used the heavy duty, outdoor rated 5lb tape to replace the tape that came on it. We have very small lip spoiler that mounts on the trunk lid and a similar that attaches to the back window. Both have been there 5+ yrs, never an issue, car washes, rain, snow, etc. and they hold perffect.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
X2 on 3M VHB (very high bond) double-sided tape. That stuff is STRONG. Probably higher strength than self-tapping screws in thin plastic, and avoids drilling holes in the dash. It ain't your normal double-sided tape.

Don

Where do you get it? I need to mount a RAM ball to my dashboard to hold my old-school GPS (which is much heavier than the newer, touch-screen style.) Don't mind screwing things to the dash but would prefer not to if possible. If this VHB tape is as good as you say, it might work.

RangeBrover

Explorer
both of the rear spoilers on my wife's Audi are attached with 3M doublesided tape. I used the heavy duty, outdoor rated 5lb tape to replace the tape that came on it. We have very small lip spoiler that mounts on the trunk lid and a similar that attaches to the back window. Both have been there 5+ yrs, never an issue, car washes, rain, snow, etc. and they hold perffect.

Seems like most vehicles use this tape for all the exterior trim pieces. The local Land Rover dealership uses it on some of the taillight protectors, but I wouldn't want to rely on it for that serious of a use. It should definately be good for a dash though.

4xdog

Explorer
3M VHB tape is different from the normal 3M neoprene automotive trim tape (which I've also used and loved for years).

VHB is in a different league entirely. That stuff STICKS!

Don

VHB is specific to the material being used. You know those big highway signs attached to overpasses? If you don't see rivets, most likely tape is holding them up there! We used to use it at a sign shop I worked at. I believe it is used in aviation too. 3M makes some amazing stuff. Compare VHB and post it notes. There is a glue for every occasion. I think heat welding is old hat, chemical bonds will replace it entirely some day.

squint

Adventurer
The other interesting thing that I have done is to make metal clips/brackets so that I don't have to drill into the dash. My CB on my other jeep is held in this way and I made a bracket that clips behind the seam of my dash for my iphone mount. You can then screw into that bracket without drilling into your dash. You just have to think outside of the box...For a factory look, spraypaint the bracket.

03humpalot

We used adhesive backed velcro to secure all manner of items (nav/Comms equipment etc) in our rigs overseas and i do the same here. Works like a champ. The GPS base in these pics had velcro secured by gorilla glue.

cimg0468hx.jpg

cimg0469q.jpg

1stDeuce

Explorer
At my old job, working constantly in trucks that had equipment going in and out, we used 2" wide velcro for securing of stuff when aided by gravity. It removes well, but it tends to wrinkle up over time in my experience. For mounting stuff in my own vehicles, I now use black RTV. Clean the dash area with a little window cleaner (alcohol) prior to putting a bit on the bottom of whatever you want to stick, and then stick it and let it dry overnight. This has worked for CB's, Ham Radio brackets, Mic Clips, and even the bracket for a Meyer snowplow joystick on my Jeep, which gets a LOT of tweaking around and had to be removed with a putty knife! It does tend to leave a little residue when you cut stuff off it, but it's VERY solid, whereas screws always seem to work loose on me if I can't through bolt them. If you don't like the residue, and you can't get it worked off, you can always put a nice fuzzy piece of velcro over it. :)
Chris

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
If you are using Velcro get the real stuff not the thin stuff that most stores sell for clothing. I bought some of the real Velcro a few years back and secured two pieces together to play with and it took me a lot of pulling to get them apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94