Question on wiring lights

stoneydude

Observer
I just bought a pair of these from Harbor Freight because the reviews were decent and I had a coupon from Four Wheeler for $17.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/accessory-lights/off-road-long-range-truck-light-system-3029.html
They are 100w and come with an inline fuse. Here's my question, do I need to wire in a relay for these or can I just use the fuse? The connectors aren't very water proof so does anyone know where I can get weatherproof connectors to replace the originals?

mudbutt

Explorer
Most people do use a relay for 2 reasons.....

1. It takes the load off of the switch so it doesn't meltdown.

2. You can draw power directly from the battery so you will get the most power available to the lights.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Yes, use a relay.
You can get switches, connectors, relays, & whatnots like that from Fry's, Radio Shack, auto parts stores, Rallylights.com, Dan Sern, etc....

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Would be really cool to make a sticky etc about relays - proper applications for the different types and a little 'how to wire it properly.' I see a lot of posts like this and think people either do not know when to use a relay, how to pick one, or how to properly wire one in. I bet here is more than one ExPo truck cruising around with poorly powered accessories or worse - a real fire danger.

4xdog

Explorer
Amazon has good deals on Weatherpack-style connectors from several vendors. With the right crimping tool (not cheap, but something your local mechanic might let you borrow for a few crimps) these connectors are perfect for lighting. A few bucks each.

Don

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Amazon has good deals on Weatherpack-style connectors from several vendors. With the right crimping tool (not cheap, but something your local mechanic. ight let you borrow for a few crimps) these connectos are perfect for lighting.

Don
Mil-spec advice that will likely outlast the lights. But, at least he'll have the wiring run when it's time to replace them.

stoneydude

Observer
Thanks, so when wiring the lights to the relay can I splice them into one wire and connect one wire to the relay or do I need one for each light? Also where do I place the fuse, before the relay or before the switch?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks, so when wiring the lights to the relay can I splice them into one wire and connect one wire to the relay or do I need one for each light? Also where do I place the fuse, before the relay or before the switch?
They're cheap lights with a high amperage draw; I'd use a double relay with two outputs.
I'd t-tap a running light wire for the "trip" wire to the relay so that the cheap-o lights will have an idiot ding to keep you from leaving them on.
The fuse goes between the battery and relay.

bfdiesel

Explorer
You are right if it is rated based on actual power usage, but some are known to be rated equivalent and the number is just make believe.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
You are right if it is rated based on actual power usage, but some are known to be rated equivalent and the number is just make believe.
That and the use of inferior metals/wiring/connectors can can lead to gremlins.
Cheap lights can draw more amperage than you expect. And get pretty hot...

bat

Explorer
The lights seem okay glass lens, metal reflector, h-3 lamp, coated connectors, inline fuse and switch. Add a $5.00 relay in the mix and you have a set of lights that for most part will light up the night.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The lights seem okay glass lens, metal reflector, h-3 lamp, coated connectors, inline fuse and switch. Add a $5.00 relay in the mix and you have a set of lights that for most part will light up the night.
I'm not poking fun or predicting anything, but remember that poor quality bulbs go "pop" and poor quality connectors can melt. Hot glass can shatter. Reflectors can peel, rust, etc.
Just sayin'.

stoneydude

Observer
Ya I just figured why not for sixteen bucks, if/when they break I'm not out much money. With the relay I expect that will protect me and my jeep more than just using the cheep wires and fuse. I went looking around today for some parts and saw two relays at Radioshack, better switches, and some connectors but I'll probably look for some weatherproof ones to hook up to the lights outside of the engine bay. Would I need a 60amp or 30 amp relay?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior